Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
Excellent 16 17.39%
Above Average 26 28.26%
Average 24 26.09%
Below Average 9 9.78%
Poor 17 18.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4 2011, 05:48 PM   #181
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

I think folks complaining about Shockwave is sort of the point. He was a decoy villain to distract everyone from the real villain: Sentinel Prime. He was just there to stand around and distract our attention.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 07:13 PM   #182
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Transformers 3: Can a fan of G1 enjoy this movie?

oh, you mean Ironhide the gun nut and bumblebee the caring guardian and sideswipe the badass blade master were nobodies? please.

alright, Jolt was a non-entity, but he was shoehorned in to ROTF late on to appease GM.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 07:19 PM   #183
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Whofan wrote: View Post
Mirage/Dino is a Ferrari in this continuity, though, instead of a race car.
Wait, do you mean there's an Autobot whose car-mode is a Ferrari and it's called... Dino? Ok, this is actually lovely.
Old July 4 2011, 07:41 PM   #184
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
Can a fan of G1 enjoy this movie?
Yeah, possibly, if...

ok, so i hated the first one.
Oh, in that case. No.

ETA: What God Magnus said.
Old July 4 2011, 08:24 PM   #185
inflatabledalek
Captain

T'Baio wrote: View Post
First, you're comparing the animated death of a robot to the disintegration of live action human beings and their skulls rolling around?
Kids were apparently crying in the cinema during Prime's death in the original film. I've not yet heard of even the most excessive moments of the Bay films having a similar impact.

Though context is everything of course, a large part of what made the ubber violence in the original film so shocking for contempoary viewers was it coming off the back of a very silly kids cartoon where the characters seemed to go out of their way never to do each other any real damage. The Bay films are at least roughly in keeping with many other 12A films in the UK (hell, the new series of Doctor Who has done the smouldering skeleton thing a couple of times in a kids show that goes out in the afternoon).

Second, you're comparing a robot being pink with a live woman being introduced by her ass, who the camera creepily caresses as someone describes the curves of a car, and is the only image onscreen when a character says "nice box?"
I'd certainly agree Carly is the main weak link in the film (and a shame after Mikaela, despite the body worship, was a proactive strong character who had useful mechanical skills and was frequently the one pulling Sam's ass out the fire). Though to be better than just about any other previous female character in the franchise she doesn't have to try very hard. Even a decent character like Black Arachnia still had the great bit woobly pair of tits banging up and down in front of her face.

Third, even if these things were comparable (which they're not), saying some folk saw something over 20 years ago are fine so this is, too...just because something was acceptable decades ago doesn't make it so now. Besides, obviously we didn't turn out okay...we're making and enjoying these misogynistic images still to this day.
Oh I'm certainly not saying it's OK (and the tendancy for all the female robots to be weak willed pink things was annoying even at the time so I don't think it was back then either), just that kids watching are likely going to survive just like we did. And in fairness, there's far more shots of muscular young men in uniform getting all sweaty in the films than there is female body closeups, so there's certainly something for everyone (and the most naked person in all three films remains Simmon's thong clad arse in the second one).
Old July 4 2011, 09:17 PM   #186
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Given the Lunar aspects of this movie it would've been neat to have seen a a battle, or at least a Transformer on the moon in the form of the Lunar Rover maybe guarding the crashed ship it we could have had a battle between it and Optimus or something for a bit.
Old July 4 2011, 09:36 PM   #187
Saquist
Commodore

Anwar wrote: View Post
I think folks complaining about Shockwave is sort of the point. He was a decoy villain to distract everyone from the real villain: Sentinel Prime. He was just there to stand around and distract our attention.
I know that was razorbeak but was that building destroying monster ravage?
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 09:50 PM   #188
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Really? People are complaining about the way CGI robots are killing other CGI robots? Really?
Old July 4 2011, 09:54 PM   #189
captcalhoun
Admiral

Saquist wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
I know that was razorbeak but was that building destroying monster ravage?
no, because Ravage had his spine ripped out by Bumblebee in 2.

and it's laserbeak.

the drilling thingy was called 'driller' shockingly.
Old July 4 2011, 09:58 PM   #190
captcalhoun
Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Whofan wrote: View Post
Mirage/Dino is a Ferrari in this continuity, though, instead of a race car.
Wait, do you mean there's an Autobot whose car-mode is a Ferrari and it's called... Dino? Ok, this is actually lovely.
he's called Dino in dialogue in the film. his comic appearances refer to him as Mirage.

iirc, the toy's called Mirage too.

not a dissimilar situation to 'the tank thing' in 1, which self-identified in subtitles as 'Devastator', but was called 'Brawl' everywhere else.
Old July 4 2011, 10:32 PM   #191
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I remember the Mirage toy (huge Transformer fan as a kid), but he was a F1 racing car, not a sport car. Having an Autobot with a Ferrari car mode is nice: having him named Dino is truly a lovely homage to Alfredo (Dino) Ferrari.
Old July 4 2011, 11:20 PM   #192
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I remember the emotional impact that Optimus Prime's death in "Transformers: The Movie" had for me when I first saw and it was years later after already knowing about it. It was much more of an emotional impact than his "death" in "Revenge of the Fallen". That was more of a homage. I think T:TM was violent especially the first fifteen or so minutes with the initial Decepticon attack on Autobot City. After being only familiar with the cartoon I'm sure a lot of kids were shocked by that.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2011, 07:33 AM   #193
captcalhoun
Admiral

it could've been worse. a draft script had Windcharger blown to bits and a rain of an arm, two legs and then his torso.

Prime's death in ROTF didn't have such an impact on me, becuase he gets killed and comes back so many times, it's a joke.
Old July 5 2011, 07:40 AM   #194
inflatabledalek
Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I remember the emotional impact that Optimus Prime's death in "Transformers: The Movie" had for me when I first saw and it was years later after already knowing about it. It was much more of an emotional impact than his "death" in "Revenge of the Fallen". That was more of a homage. I think T:TM was violent especially the first fifteen or so minutes with the initial Decepticon attack on Autobot City. After being only familiar with the cartoon I'm sure a lot of kids were shocked by that.

Indeed, as much as I love the old film (mainly for nostalgia, objectively it's deeply flawed in a lot of ways. Mind, there's still lots of brilliant dialogue that any action film would be desperate for, "I've got better things to do tonight than die!"), the drastic increase in violence and the killing off/replacement of three of the most popular characters in Prime Megs and Starscream (plus all the others as well of course) was one of several decisions that resulted in it being a massive flop and delivering a killer blow to the franchises momentum.

But then, and this is part of the reason I'm still so fond of it, they were making a film in uncharted territory. Theatrical films spun off from TV shows (and also set in continuity with it) were still very rare at the time, off the top of my head there's the West Batman, a Get Smart film and the first few Trek's. I'm not even aware of any other cartoon shows that had managed a film by this point.

It's very obvious that the film makers didn't really have a clue how to format the thing to make the transition from TV to silver screen, and have gone more than a bit giddy with the extra freedom (violence! swearing! A all star cast almost entirely made of people the target audience would have no interest in!).

No kids cartoon film would ever be done like this (even it's ultimately straight to video stablemate GI Joe film had some drastic editing done to it to try and tone the excess down, even if a lot of the similar madness still remains in it). And that makes it sort of special, and much more fun than things like the tamer and more corporate Pokemon films (and that's not to be completely disparaging to Pokemon as the first one at least was decent enough, it's just a lot safer).
Old July 5 2011, 09:46 AM   #195
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I still haven't seen this movie yet. I'm not surprised at the monster box office numbers. They did an incredibly smart thing by pushing up the release date to take advantage of the full long weekend, including Canada Day here on Friday. I have been hesitant to see it. I probably will at some point. The monster box office probably is gonna have Paramount having some interesting discussions amongst it's execs about what to do with the future of the franchise. Clearly there is still an appetite out there among the fandom and movie goers in general.

Collider has come out and provided a list of possible directors who could take over the franchise.

http://collider.com/transformers-4-d...stions/100332/

Personally out of the choices I'd go with Joe Johnston or David Yates, with a leaning towards Yates. He's proven he can handle a mega-franchise before. I think if Paramount decides to continue the franchise they're reboot it.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote