Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
Excellent 16 17.39%
Above Average 26 28.26%
Average 24 26.09%
Below Average 9 9.78%
Poor 17 18.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 3 2011, 08:19 PM   #151
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

an anti-armour weapon is an anti-armour weapon whether it's hitting alien metal or a tank.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 08:26 PM   #152
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

It was pretty much what I expected ... an absolute mess of a story with a bunch of eye candy. Thankfully, it made far more sense than Revenge of the Fallen, and the 3D was incredibly well-done.

There's also something to be said for taking the "give me your face" Optimus from Revenge of the Fallen and just straight-out turning him into this bloodthirsty, death on rollerskates psychopath.

My wife says that we would have wasted our money if we hadn't seen it in 3D, and I'm inclined to agree.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 08:38 PM   #153
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

The 3D really was worth-while and I've not said that about a movie since Avatar.

I did think the "battle tactics" of the Autobots (the good guys) were questionable, they ask an out-matched group of Decepticons to lay down arms and surrender, which they do, and then the Autobots slaughter them! Optimus Prime our "hero" and great leader sees his mentor, a fellow Prime, beaten, weak and broken and also unarmed and then completely rips the guy apart! Either action is hardly great qualities for a great leader.

I still think the movies hadn't focused nearly enough on the Transformers who are still pretty much seconday-characters in their own damn movies, and the, well, nonsense with Shia is just completely un-needed and in this movie I'm not sure there's an ounce of likability in him.

Still, it was fun and actually entertaining and it drive me insane like the previous movie.
Old July 3 2011, 09:21 PM   #154
starburst
Fleet Captain

He ripped apart Megatron (with an axe), when it came to his beaten and unarmed mentor all he did was finish him off with the final shot.

You have to remember that he was also a traitor who betrayed not only Optimus and the Autobots (both alive and dead) but he murdered Ironhide and walked all over everything he taught Optimus using the excuse of "The needs of the many..."

As for Ironhide and Sideswipe taking on those Decepticons, yes all 4 of them dropped their weapons but then the Decepticons attacked them, cant blame the Autobots for besting them.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 09:21 PM   #155
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I still think the movies hadn't focused nearly enough on the Transformers who are still pretty much seconday-characters in their own damn movies, and the, well, nonsense with Shia is just completely un-needed and in this movie I'm not sure there's an ounce of likability in him.
Well I thought it kinda made sense in the first movie to see things more from the perspective of the human characters, to help make it feel a bit more real and grounded for the audience.

But by THIS point it's just getting ridiculous. Most of the last two movies have been taken up with stupid comedy or watching people run around run solving boring mysteries. The Transformers do nothing dish out exposition or fight each other, and barely come across as real characters at all.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 10:12 PM   #156
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Well, as the old song goes, "Autobots wage the battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 10:30 PM   #157
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Rating it Above Average. I liked it better then the second one since it tried be different in tone, and take the story to a darker place, with a waster scale. But that's also where I find some it went a bit askew.

I see what they want to do with the darker edge, but sometimes they just went too far. Some of the robots literally tearing each other apart I could have done without, but most importantly, the quite graphic killings if humans I was quite shocked to see. It really teetered on the line with Decepticons shot people and they where blown apart, if in unfocused unidentifiable shreds. But then the last bit with that where some people got shot and there where some bones and a skull quite visible lying around...took it a bit too far for my taste.

Look, I quite like gore and violence. When it's appropriate. Like in a Zombie film or a Medieval hack n' slash flick. But in the films based on toys? Really? A lot of kids are gonna see this and I think some bits are too intense for them. I see the point they tried to make, and while I applaud Bay for taking a bit of a risk, I still think he could have made his point in another way and that he should've considered his target audience more.

Okay, moving on. FANTASTIC 3D. Best I've seen since Avatar. Bay really gets how to use it well. Also liked that he action was more clear this time around, and the new robots had great designs, even if I would've like to see more of Shockwave. But Soundwave was great, with a fantastic vehicle mode. Nimoy did great as Sentinel Prime and while he's obviously a douche, still brings some definition to the character.

Speaking of douches, I gotta mention the Dempsey. I'm a Grey's Anatomy fan, so I know Patrick Dempsey mostly as that series freaking saint of a brain surgeon, Derek Shepard. Which is why casting him as the biggest opportunistic and cowardly asshole in the movie was great. Love that he took the part and he's really great at it, you really hate the guy. Alan Tudyk was a delight as Simmons' butler/manservant/assistant/bodyguard.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley did a much better job then I had dared to hope, and distinguished herself well enough from Megan Fox. Still think the latter is sexier, but it works.

Shia is a great, I think he's the actor that's been consistently great in these films. Granted, his wigouts in this film are a bit on the energetic side, I can't help but laugh my ass off at his girly scream after the whole flying transformation bit on the highway And he does the serious stuff damned well also, and he finally got to actually take down a Decepticon himself.

In the end the one I really have problems with is the aforementioned "darker bits". The first Transformers had a great tone, it was a great movie overall. It was the most fun I'd had a the theater since Jurassic Park. And a big bit of that is because it hit the right kind of tone between good old fun and seriousness. This one tries to stray a bit too far into the latter, and it hurts the movie a bit.

Still, very well spent money.
Old July 3 2011, 11:06 PM   #158
T'Baio
Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
A lot of kids are gonna see this and I think some bits are too intense for them.
The violence offends me in a movie for kids just as much as the blatantly disgusting misogyny, and thinly veiled racism.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:21 PM   #159
throwback
Captain

If there is a fourth movie, can the writers do a different kind of story? The robots battle over a piece of technology, while the humans assist or hide.

And how can the Autobots hope to protect Earth as their numbers are decreasing? During the Battle of Chicago, two (out of nine) Autobots were destroyed. (I don't know if this higher number includes the smaller robots which were last seen in a fighter carrier.) Where are the rest of the Autobots?

Can someone explain to me please how these giant robots were able to fit inside a booster rocket?

And, the humans may have prevailed in Chicago. However, they have to fight the rest of the Depticons in all the other locations seen or inferred. This last fact seems to have been missed or ignored by the script writer, along with many other things.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:35 PM   #160
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Yeah the whole "uh... we hid in the booster rocket" thing didn't make any sense. I mean, there's rocket fuel and important rockety things in there, not much room for several huge robots.

I did think the mostly gratuitous killing/vaporizing of humans wasa bit too much but, whatever.

But, damn. Leave it to Michael Fucking Bay to do the first decent 3D movie since James Cameron.
Old July 3 2011, 11:38 PM   #161
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Well, he had James Cameron's help, so no surprise there.
Old July 3 2011, 11:38 PM   #162
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

If there's a fourth

Old July 4 2011, 12:04 AM   #163
Hyperspace05
Commodore

One thing... The prospects for a sequel seem rather dim... Weren't all the Decepticons killed in rather explicit/definitive ways? (i.en not repairable for a sequel) Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave all seem to be gone.

I suppose they could have other villains, but still...
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 12:10 AM   #164
Checkmate
Commodore

Yeah, because the series doesn't make reviving characters a snap-of-the-fingers moment at all. No sir. Dead is dead, 100%.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 12:24 AM   #165
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
If there's a fourth

Dammit! Why did you have to say that?! Now that you've put this idea out there Michael Bay can't use it because now he can't claim he came up with the idea first!

FUCK!!!

Oh well, I guess it hasn't stopped him before. (see: The Island)