Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 27 2011, 09:18 PM   #1
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

copycat horror/scifi films

I know that in Canada they have Canadian musicians do cover versions of chart-topping American songs as it is required to have so much % of Canadian artists on Canadian radio.

Now I know they've done some remakes of American movies. Blatant rip offs.
One was a Canadian remake/ripoff of Armageddon & Deep Impact it was Supernova (2005, TV Movie) with the slightly different premise of the Sun is set to explode within a week.)

Virus (1999) -Jamie Lee Curtis, William Baldwin, Donald Sutherland

with was pretty much the same film 3 years later with ghosts:
Ghost Ship (2002) - Julianna Margulies

and now we have a 2010 deep-sea horror film Horror, Sci-Fi film The Rig which is a ripoff of the The Abyss meets the Alien movie franchise meets Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (2004) but on a 3 million dollar budget.
see the trailer here.
This ripoff is complete with a hurricane and all. DVD Verdict's review of the DVD trashes it so bad with
it's a glorified student film
It is the dumbest, most lifeless horror film script ever put to digital video.
kudos to Anchor Bay's marketing department for duping me
I realize its cable tv outlets like SyFy that are willing to buy this stuff but isn't this ripoff so blatant it is some idea stealing scriptwriter issue that can stop this legally?

Yes bad movies will happen and marketing departments sell the films as being something else. They even fooled the reviewer at DVD Verdict with The Rig.

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; June 27 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: fixed Supernova URL
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 10:50 PM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: copycat horror/scifi films

Virus and Ghost Ship are totally unrelated.
Old June 27 2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Pingfah
Admiral

Are you actually holding up Starship Troopers II as an example of an original film that has been copied?

There's not an original thought in the whole film to begin with.
Old June 27 2011, 11:22 PM   #4
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Are you actually holding up Starship Troopers II as an example of an original film that has been copied?
No not at all. I was only using the plot of STII as an example: trapped on a remote outpost fighting off aliens attacking them within the outpost just like Aliens (1986).

Look its a genre and I get that. I think it started with Alien (1979) where an alien is coming to attack the humans within a large complex/facility. Resident Evil (2002) has the same genre idea just not with aliens.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Pingfah
Admiral

So what you are saying is that sometimes things that happen in films, happen in other films too.
Old June 27 2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
No not at all. I was only using the plot of STII as an example: trapped on a remote outpost fighting off aliens attacking them within the outpost just like Aliens (1986).

Look its a genre and I get that. I think it started with Alien (1979) where an alien is coming to attack the humans within a large complex/facility. Resident Evil (2002) has the same genre idea just not with aliens.

These are all very old ideas. Alien was inspired by classic sf films from the fifties like The Thing from Another World and It! The Terror from Beyond Space. And that's not even counting countless old war movies about outnumbered soldiers trapped in remote outposts like Zulu, Gunga Din, or The Lost Patrol . . ..

And, of course, ghost ships date back at least as far as the Flying Dutchman, the Marie Celeste, and Bram Stoker's ill-fated Demeter . . ..