Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 17 2011, 02:46 AM   #1
Mr Pointy Ears
Commander

has the breen never been assimilated

Over the course of number of years,the borg assimilated many species from the alpha quadrant like klingons,romulans and even the ferengi,but what about the breen,surley the borg would have come across some of their ships and assimilated them?.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 02:57 AM   #2
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: has the breen never been assimilated

Given that the breen require the cold, and it's very warm on a Borg ship, I doubt it.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 02:57 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

Canonically speaking no. But off the record, sure why the hell not?
Old November 17 2011, 02:58 AM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Sure, why not?
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 04:18 AM   #5
ngc7293
Commander

A federation ship can be set for different temperatures, so why not a borg ship. Also The Borg may have suits that change the environment for the being in it. It's easier to see humanoid borg that all look alike so you get that zombie feel.
Old November 17 2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Not to mention that we've seen unprotected Borg drones operating in the vacuum of space. I don't think temperature (or other environmental conditions) matter much to drones.
Old November 17 2011, 06:40 AM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Given the fact that they're in suits all the time, not to mention the novel revelations, I think the answer is - how would we know?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 11:14 AM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
we've seen unprotected Borg drones operating in the vacuum of space.
No, it might not have been visually apparent, but they were in some fashion "protected."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Deks
Rear Admiral

I would surmise that they might have been protected by energy shields their bodies armors are able to produce.

But on another note, the writers often forgot about the abilities of personal shields.
Drones can become invulnerable to directed energy weapons but can be beaten down by mele attakcs?
Lol...
I'm sorry, but for the technologically superior Federation, and especially the Borg, hand to hand attacks should be useless when dealing with personal shields.
The Feds were stated on-screen to have them.
Worf even made a crude one years before FC which was only limited by the comm-badge's power cell and was able to repel bullets... I would imagine that a personal power cell pack/belt would likely allow the shield to be far more effective.
We've just never seen them on a mass scale because for the most part: the writers didn't want to make things too 'easy'.
there are ways to make a story interesting even with highly advanced tech in play.
Old November 17 2011, 12:38 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Deks wrote: View Post
the writers didn't want to make things too 'easy'
In every Superman movie, got to figure a way to take Big Blue down a notch first.

If things are "too easy" in the future, it kind of screws up the story, especially with a action/adventure story like Star Trek. You can't have the computers, sensors, replicators, transporters be too capable.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 12:44 AM   #11
Saspearia
Lieutenant

View Saspearia's Twitter Profile

Didn't Weyoun once say that they're planet was a normal class M temperature? And that their refridgeration suits were a complete mystery? Maybe theyre too bonkers to be in the collective? They are quite discriminatory, I don't think they accept any old race.
Old November 18 2011, 04:18 AM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

Maybe Weyoun visited during the summer, one of the hated seasons on the Breen homeworld whent they have to bundle up in those suits. But once winter hits, the Breen go around in shorts and t-shirts.

No, I don't care that it doesn't make sense.
Old November 18 2011, 05:32 AM   #13
Sci
Admiral

Saspearia wrote: View Post
Didn't Weyoun once say that they're planet was a normal class M temperature? And that their refridgeration suits were a complete mystery?
He did.

The recent novel Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game by David Mack finally revealed why no one has ever seen a Breen, and what all the contradictory information about the Breen consists of:

Old November 18 2011, 06:01 AM   #14
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I tried to bring that up subtly earlier, but I think it must have gotten lost in the shuffle.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 05:21 PM   #15
The_Baron
Commander

I imagine the Borg having a pretty strict dress-code. No big helmets allowed. And who knows what the breen look like underneath.

But then, theres equally no reason to believe that they HAVE been assimilated either, we've seen no evidence that the Borg are interested in any other Alpha Quadrant races than those of the Federation, and to a lesser extent the Romulans. We only know of a handful of incursions in the Alpha Quadrant, have they even had the opportunity to 'pimp my breen'?
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote