RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 444
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 20 2011, 01:06 AM   #1
comicbookwriter
Captain

View comicbookwriter's Twitter Profile
TREKKIES "cast" - Whatever happened to...

I just purchased another DVD copy of Trekkies since my old one was either stolen or lost and I was wondering whatever happened to a lot of those people interviewed?

(side note: It's amazing to notice the difference between the Trek fandom then, late 90s, vs. now)

I know that Gabe Koerner ended up being a SFX guy in Hollywood which is a cool thing to do and I was happy to see that he took his passion and turned it into a career.

Then there's Barbara Adams who was a Whitewater juror and there's almost no information on her anywhere.

I wondered what happened to the Talk Trek Radio Show because I've never been able to track down a reference to the show online nor does there seem to be an archive somewhere.

Starbase Dental still exists, but with a new dentist/owner. I couldn't find much on the original guy, Dr. Bourognion, or something like that.

Douglas Marks (the cross-dressing filk singer) is also impossible to find.

I would love for there to be some kind of redux of Trekkies, but 10 years after the "boom" era.

CBW

The only podcast for aspiring sci-fi and comic book writers.

comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: TREKKIES "cast" - Whatever happened to...

Well, I have a friend in Romania who's been in Trekkies 2, who I keep in contact with. Probably not quite the same though.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I'd like to know what happened to those two girls who sang "I'm the Expendable Guy".

I saw Gabe Koerner on myspace back in the day and asked him if he accepted requests from fellow Alabamians. He never responded. I imagine he gets a lot of requests from random trek fans.
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 03:13 AM   #4
mythme
Commodore

I wondered if the Spinerfem chick went over the edge when Data was killed in Nemesis
Old November 21 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
comicbookwriter
Captain

mythme wrote: View Post
I wondered if the Spinerfem chick went over the edge when Data was killed in Nemesis

Yea, she had a VERY creepy vibe to her. I have to hand it to Denise Crosby, she stayed respectful of these people even when they seemed borderline insane.

CBW

Old November 21 2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Tosk
Rear Admiral

A lot of them had me laughing, but we all have our eccentricities...who am I to judge?

I am "friends" with Gabe on facebook, and several months ago at work, I served one of the ladies from Trekkies 2. She was surprised to be recognized.

[Goes to take a Billingsley-break...]
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

comicbookwriter wrote: View Post
I just purchased another DVD copy of Trekkies since my old one was either stolen or lost and I was wondering whatever happened to a lot of those people interviewed?
"Trekkies 2" did a followup "Where Are They Now?" on most of the prominent fans in the first doco, IIRC.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
A lot of them had me laughing, but we all have our eccentricities...who am I to judge?
As someone in one of the movies said..."This is a great way to be crazy."
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 12:20 AM   #9
comicbookwriter
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
"Trekkies 2" did a followup "Where Are They Now?" on most of the prominent fans in the first doco, IIRC.
Trekkies 2 was really weak IMHO. It didn't do much in terms of exposing the depth of fandom and it felt like they were all going through the motions.

Trekkies had a great vibe to it, Trekkies 2 felt like a cash grab with a lot less insight.

I liked the follow up on Gabe Koerner, but I wanted to see Douglas Marks, Starbase Dental, I also wanted to see more conventions other than the ones on the West Coast.

It would have been nice to see a profile done on Star Trek fans of color and what the conventions have been like for them.

In any case, I'm glad those were both made, but Trekkies 2 was a great missed opportunity for fans.

CBW

Old November 22 2011, 12:23 AM   #10
comicbookwriter
Captain

Whoops, its time for my "Sirtis-break."

LOL

CBW

Old November 22 2011, 02:46 AM   #11
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Trekkies 2 was really weak IMHO. It didn't do much in terms of exposing the depth of fandom and it felt like they were all going through the motions.

Trekkies had a great vibe to it, Trekkies 2 felt like a cash grab with a lot less insight.

Yeah, I agree. I know Trekkies was criticized a lot for showing the crazy side of fans, but it had a lot of charm and heart that I felt was missing from Trekkies 2. Trekkies 2 on the other hand seemed like it was trying too hard not to offend.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 03:19 AM   #12
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I didn't mind Trekkies 2 at all. I thought it was a nice mix of revisiting people and meeting new Trekkies from around the world. Another purely US-centric one could have been boring.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 06:52 AM   #13
comicbookwriter
Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
I didn't mind Trekkies 2 at all. I thought it was a nice mix of revisiting people and meeting new Trekkies from around the world. Another purely US-centric one could have been boring.
Going global was fine, but not getting to really explore the idea of what Star Trek meant to people (something that was the thematic core of the first film) made Trekkies 2 less relevant for me as a Trek fan.

It felt scattershot as a film. It looked cheap and Crosby did not seem as focused as she was in the first documentary.

The people profiled (no offense meant) were VERY boring as subjects. The wackiness of the Trekkies in the first film made it SO much fun. Trekkies 2 spent too much time with awful sounding rock bands, geeky soccer moms and long segments about nothing in particular.

I don't hate Trekkies 2, but it was a looooooong drop off from the first film's level of quality.

CBW

Old November 22 2011, 07:16 AM   #14
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

(side note: It's amazing to notice the difference between the Trek fandom then, late 90s, vs. now)
That's interesting, in what ways would you say?

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 11:18 PM   #15
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

Wasn't there like a really long space battle type animation that was being made for this that you could download somewhere?

I remember that being released with a big "as seen in TREKKIES!!" tag, completely for free, but its filesize was something my poor old 56k modem could never handle in one sitting and never found a download manager (back in the days when we needed them!) that would resume it properly so I never did get to see it.

Anyone know what I'm on about??

(Also, OT, but anyone know if you could ever see the the made for Star Trek the experience Borg attack movie anywhere?
I'm always fascinated by these bits of "extra" Trek not made for TV or whatnot, that could be a whole thread in itself tbh!)