Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 23 2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Scott1768
Lieutenant Commander

Request feedback on this starship design

Hi folks!

I'm a new member on this board, though I've lurked here for quite some time. I would appreciate some feedback on this starship design:

Project Logo:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/..._1764006_n.jpg

Profile:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/..._1262673_n.jpg

Plan View:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/..._5841638_n.jpg

Nacelle Detail:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/..._8118321_n.jpg

I am working on a complete set of these plans for both a Schematic Packet and a "Crew Orientation Manual." Any opinions or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Scott1768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: Request feedback on this starship design

Very good version of Jackills Explorer class there

So far so good on those
Old May 23 2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Scott1768
Lieutenant Commander

Kaiser wrote: View Post

So far so good on those
Thanks! Actually, though, it's my design. Eric published it with my permission.

Scott
Scott1768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Since the writing on your prints is effectively illegible (a compromise to make them small enough not to lock up webpages, I know!)... it would be nice to hear a bit more about the ship. Pictures are great, but by themself they don't say much to me.

What is the role of this ship? Timeframe (TMP-ish, but it could be near TMP or a LOT later on)? What are the various details, and what purpose do they serve?

I LOVE ship designs, especially well-thought-out ones... but so far all I can see are some nice-looking 2D drawings. The ship "looks cool" but you weren't asking about the "coolness of appearance" you were asking for critiques of the design, right?

So... tell us about the design.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Scott1768 wrote: View Post

So far so good on those
Thanks! Actually, though, it's my design. Eric published it with my permission.

Scott
Well thats good to know

Your design was actually the only single ship Data sheet i've bought from him someday i hope i can afford to buy his last 4 books instead of spending over 1K on the rest of his datasheets
Old May 24 2011, 12:50 AM   #6
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

How about a larger version so we can read the crew-breakdown on the plan view? It is an interesting design, and I would be interested in seeing your completed plans and manual.

Last edited by Mysterion; May 24 2011 at 04:08 AM.
Mysterion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2011, 02:37 AM   #7
Albertese
Commodore

Without being able to read anything, my first thought is, "Neat. I like this," but my second thought was, "Woah! That's a lot of phasers!" Maybe too many? Maybe they're not phasers?

--Alex
Old May 24 2011, 02:40 AM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nacelles are too close together... looks like a pizza cutter in the top down view.
Old May 24 2011, 03:42 AM   #9
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

my only crits are in execution, not design
I'd tone down the grid background, and find a way to make your leaders less distracting . . . it's hard to see what's what with all those pointers
Old May 24 2011, 04:27 AM   #10
Wingsley
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Nacelles are too close together... looks like a pizza cutter in the top down view.
Agreed. Each nacelle needs to be moved outboard from the fuselage by at least 1 to 2 nacelle-widths.

Otherwise, very interesting design. Where's the navi-deflector?
Old May 24 2011, 05:05 AM   #11
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think it's that big orange thing in the side view.
Old May 24 2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Mage
Fleet Captain

Personally, I wouldn't change anything when it comes to nacelle-placement. I think it looks pretty funky.

Some bigger rez pictures would help.
Old May 25 2011, 03:35 AM   #13
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
See, this doesn't bother me at all...

I've always had this idea about warp nacelle placement... the closer together they are, the more efficient the engines are in straight-line flight, but the less maneuverable the vessel is.

In some cases, the ship is really never expected to have to make sudden at-warp course corrections and certainly never to enter combat, so they put the "guts" for two separate "nacelles" into a single nacelle... it's very efficient flying to a trouble spot, and much lighter at sublight (so there are sublight manuevering benefits) but in warp-combat, it's not going to do all that well.

This works for the FJ scout design, of course... it flies way out front, sits there and watches, and runs away fast if trouble approaches. It also CAN work for the FJ destroyer, if you assume that this "destroyer" isn't a warship as it is a "safe spacelanes patrol vessel" or a "strike" element of a large fleet.

It also works for the Kelvin, by the way... which I assume is actually a colonial transport vessel (hence the massive embarked personnel list, the huge hangar, etc). The Kelvin loads up people and supplies, flies out to a planet to be colonized, disembarks the colonists and their gear, and provides local security in orbit until the colony is established.

Now, for other ships... like this one... I see this as a "sprinter" ship, with more maneuverability than a single-nacelle design but really designed to fly long distances to known points, and if engaged to "run away" fast to another known point.

I get the impression that this ship has a big advanced-sensor-suite down below, and while it has plenty of launchers, I would presume that a sizable portion of that facility is dedicated to probe systems, with the torpedo complement mainly there to ensure that the ship can effectively escape from any hostilities.

This would be a "deep-range, hostile territory" observation platform, basically... like a forward observer for fleet actions.

That's what this ship looks like to me. I'm curious what the creator had in mind, though...

My one big qualm with what I see... the impulse engine placement is really bad. Unless, of course, there's another impulse exhaust down lower (say, between the two nacelles?) which can balance out the forces so the ship can fly straight!
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

My only Question now is this Manual going to be $0.00 or cost me some over $1.00 to download or own?
Old May 25 2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

My only Question now is this Manual going to be $0.00 or cost me some over $1.00 to download or own?
Good question. Also, is there any sort of definite "when" for this manual?