Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
The Complete Thor

I've decided I'm going to do something crazy. I'm going to read every Thor story from 1962's Thor the Mighty and "The Stone Men From Saturn" in Journey into Mystery #83 all the way to 2011's Astonishing Thor and beyond. I think I've found a pretty good chronology of all the mainstream continuity appearances, and I plan to just go to town on reading as much as I can.

I didn't really have any experience reading Thor stories except for a random crossover here and there, but the movie really piqued my interest in the character, and I spent some time at the library reading some Tales of Asgard, and I'm hooked.

Any particular exciting issues I should keep an eye out for? I'll be doing some periodic reviews on here to keep you updated on my progress.
Old June 25 2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: The Complete Thor

Wow. Good luck with that. Do you have access to the whole run?

The Walter Simonson Thor is, IMHO, the best of the entire run.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; June 25 2011 at 10:47 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I tried doing this. It didn't work too well. Thor is inconsistent throughout its run. It starts out sucking for a bit. It all of a sudden becomes iconic during the Kirby/Lee years. Then it goes back to sucking for the most part (not totally of course, there are always exceptional issues). You basically have to wait until Walter Simonson for it to get really good again - as good as Thor has ever been, imo. After that, the Tom DeFalco era was entertaining as a kid, but not on the same level as Simonson. After that, almost all Marvel comics went through a period of sheer unreadability (it was the late 90s after all). I didn't read the new JMS stuff.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 01:15 AM   #4
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Best runs
The JMS trilogy (Babylon's J. Michael Straczynski)

Walt Simonson's run with Hela, Midgard Serpent and Beta Ray Bill

The Ultimates I and II run....an Alternative Mark Millar universe timeline featuring the Avengers

Thor fights the Surfer and Mangog...Essential Stan Lee and Jack Kirby stories

and currently Kieron Gillen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowlAbyOvEI
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist.

^ I second the Kieron Gillen comment; the current God Butcher arc is absolutely bitchin'.

Tom DeFalco's Thor was a guilty pleasure way back when; pseudo-sixties superhero antics that bucked the trend of the more "mature" zeitgeist.

I also have to recommend Warren Ellis' 4-issue run from (I think) issues 496 to 499, which kind of reinvented Thor as a mythic yet vulnerable figure. Was actually a bit disappointed when the series reverted to a more generic superheroey feel.
Old December 30 2012, 02:11 AM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Wereghost wrote: View Post
I also have to recommend Warren Ellis' 4-issue run from (I think) issues 496 to 499, which kind of reinvented Thor as a mythic yet vulnerable figure. Was actually a bit disappointed when the series reverted to a more generic superheroey feel.
That's an odd little run. I've wondered if Ellis was supposed to do more than those four issues and then bailed on the series when Marvel mandated an Avengers crossover and the lead-up to Heroes Reborn within six months of Ellis' first issue. (Which I think was #493.) The reason I call "Worldengine" odd is that at the end of the third part the story seems to be heading in one direction, but then Ellis wraps a lot of things up in a hamfisted manner in the fourth part, then William Messner-Loebs set up a new status quo where Thor and the Enchantress are supernatural investigators.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Any particular exciting issues I should keep an eye out for? I'll be doing some periodic reviews on here to keep you updated on my progress.
The original Lee and Kirby run
Walt Simonson's run.
The first half of Dan Jurgen's run
JMS's run

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
That's an odd little run. I've wondered if Ellis was supposed to do more than those four issues and then bailed on the series when Marvel mandated an Avengers crossover and the lead-up to Heroes Reborn within six months of Ellis' first issue. (Which I think was #493.) The reason I call "Worldengine" odd is that at the end of the third part the story seems to be heading in one direction, but then Ellis wraps a lot of things up in a hamfisted manner in the fourth part, then William Messner-Loebs set up a new status quo where Thor and the Enchantress are supernatural investigators.
I thought it was just a standalone fill-in arc by Warren Ellis. Kinda like his brief run on Thunderbolts, but much shorter.
Hound of UIster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Oh.. blast from the past. I've actually read a lot of the early Journey into Mystery comics up to this point. I've also been keeping up with the Marvel NOW issues. Thanks for the suggestions.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Are you sticking with only the Thor titles, or reading The Avengers as well?

Either way, as Turtletrekkersaid, good luck. That's a lotta reading.

Were there any graphic novel only Thor stories? I have The Ballad Of Beta Ray Bill around somewhere, but I think that was a reprint from the comics.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I've been reading some Avengers titles as well. I got really caught up in AvX, so that was what I was mostly reading over the past couple of months.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I have no idea how well it holds up after all these years, but it was Stan Lee's original "Infinity" saga (along with the first Kree-Skrull War) that originally hooked me on Marvel Comics.

(Not to be confused with all the stuff with Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet decades later. This was a twelve-part storyline back around 1970-1971 that had Thor battling a mysterious entity known only as "Infinity." I ate it up when I was in junior high.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 31 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 11:29 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Wow. Good luck with that. Do you have access to the whole run?

The Walter Simonson Thor is, IMHO, the best of the entire run.
My brother! Simonson rocked it.
And I loved the way he drew the Enchantress as Debbie Harry.
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 06:04 AM   #13
Mike Farley
Commodore

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
^ I second the Kieron Gillen comment; the current God Butcher arc is absolutely bitchin'.
Gillen is not the current writer on Thor. Jason Aaron is.

Gillen is writing Iron Man.

Simonson's run is the gold standard.

I liked Dan Jurgens on the book as well.

Kieron Gillen wrote a great Kid Loki tale in the recently ended Journey into Mystery.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Trevacious
Captain

Good recommends already, I just wanted to put a word in for the Thomas / Gruenwald / Buscema / Pollard run from 272-301.
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist.

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Gillen is not the current writer on Thor. Jason Aaron is.

Gillen is writing Iron Man.
D'Oh! Yes, you're right. Both are good, though.