Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 18 2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara
Commissioned fanart of Star Trek stuff...

as rendered by Nightwing1975 on DeviantArt. For the most part the pieces include some fancharacters I've created, but there are and will continue to be canon characters as well.

http://stocaptainschair.blogspot.com/

There are a number of pieces so I've put them on a blog that has the images and links to the posts on Nightwing's DA. I'm working on a piece of fanfiction; but unfortunately I'm having to start over on my laptop as my desktop where I'd started the piece is down at the moment. I hope to have the first chapter up soon for anyone who is interested. In the meantime, I hope you all enjoy Nightwing's art.
Old June 18 2011, 03:51 AM   #2
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Commissioned fanart of Star Trek stuff...

Nice. I like your work a great deal. Your original costume design is pretty good, that brown wrap-a-round number with the rose trim would make William Ware Thiess proud! Great work. I only have two nits to pick: one, the poses seem stiff and mechanical (something I fight a lot in my own drawings so I notice it quickly). Especially the woman's head seems a little too rigid and unnatural. Secondly, I really dig the cell-shaded style. But it's weird how the faces are so much more smoothly rendered than the rest of the body. I suggest sticking to one style, either cell-shade the faces or else smoothly shade the rest.

Great stuff!

--Alex
Old June 18 2011, 04:09 AM   #3
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

Albertese wrote: View Post
Nice. I like your work a great deal. Your original costume design is pretty good, that brown wrap-a-round number with the rose trim would make William Ware Thiess proud! Great work. I only have two nits to pick: one, the poses seem stiff and mechanical (something I fight a lot in my own drawings so I notice it quickly). Especially the woman's head seems a little too rigid and unnatural. Secondly, I really dig the cell-shaded style. But it's weird how the faces are so much more smoothly rendered than the rest of the body. I suggest sticking to one style, either cell-shade the faces or else smoothly shade the rest.

Great stuff!

--Alex
Thanks, but it's not my work. It's work I commissioned from an artist on DA. Links provided in my original post.
Old June 18 2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Wingsley
Commodore

Sadara does seem to have a very eye-catching wardrobe. Could this human-Vulcan hybrid possibly be a bit of an exhibitionist?

I like the Sadara adaptation on the TOS-era mini-skirt, more mini than skirt, of course. I like the lighter collar. I've always wanted to see a TOS-era female officer with a Pulaski-style "skant" and pants to look a little less sex-kittenish.

It would be neat to do a "Doctor Dehner" on this character on put her in a "Cage" era turtleneck-'n-trousers uni as well.
Old June 18 2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Very nice images, I have watched for a while on deviant.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

Wingsley wrote: View Post
Sadara does seem to have a very eye-catching wardrobe. Could this human-Vulcan hybrid possibly be a bit of an exhibitionist?

I like the Sadara adaptation on the TOS-era mini-skirt, more mini than skirt, of course. I like the lighter collar. I've always wanted to see a TOS-era female officer with a Pulaski-style "skant" and pants to look a little less sex-kittenish.

It would be neat to do a "Doctor Dehner" on this character on put her in a "Cage" era turtleneck-'n-trousers uni as well.
Hehe, thanks! I find it interesting to imagine what sort of clothing style she'd have so she'll likely have more outfits to come. Helps me to work out her personality. Exhibitionist, hmmm? Not sure, but I can tell you she and her chief engineer have been buddies since Starfleet Academy and karaoke night is their favorite thing so... maybe! Right now the next one in the works is the Mirror Universe outfit so unfortunately that won't be anything we all haven't seen before, but it should still be fun.

I got the ideas for the modified outfits and colors from Star Trek Online, truth be told. The uniforms are pretty customizable so when the standard colors didn't really fit Sadara's coloring or personality I sort of said "heck with it" and picked something that suited her better. Honestly, I was rather surprised the nitpickers didn't come after me though. :P
Old June 18 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Forbin
Admiral

Beautiful work!

Are they hand drawn and Photoshop-enhanced, or all-computer-drawn?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

Forbin wrote: View Post
Beautiful work!

Are they hand drawn and Photoshop-enhanced, or all-computer-drawn?
Thanks!

Good question. I'd have to ask Nightwing how he does his art as I've never asked him before.

He just redid all of his original series toons for anyone who wants to have a look.
Old June 26 2011, 02:46 AM   #9
Wingsley
Commodore

I visited NightWing's DeviantArt gallery and was blown away by the vast array of illustrations. Wow!

There are great TOS, Cage, TNG, TMP, DS9, VOY and ENT drawings there. (Though I didn't see any of Saavik) I loved the other stuff, too, especially characters from DALLAS and the 1970's BUCK ROGERS. There's even an I DREAM OF JEANIE in there, plus a toon drawing of 80's pop star Debbie Gibson.

I really loved the DOCTOR WHO drawings as well. A pity there are no Romana drawings, though.

It was enough to make me want to suggest NightWing try some other pop icons, like Sheryl Crow, Madonna, Shania Twain, George Michael, Bruce Springsteen, The Doors, and maybe characters from other TV favorites like STARGATE SG-1, ALL IN THE FAMILY, KNIGHT RIDER, The original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, The original HAWAII FIVE-O, SANFORD & SON and THE WALTONS.

One can dream.
Old June 26 2011, 02:48 AM   #10
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Yep his work is very impressive. I have a few of them in my favorites.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote