New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 22 2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Capt.Mac
Commander

STARTREKHISTORY.COM UPDATED 06-22-11

Hello,

The site has been updated with Director Ralph Senensky's interviews and the seven episodes he directed.
http://www.startrekhistory.com/interviews.html

Additional minor updates to the models webpage:
http://www.startrekhistory.com/models.html

LLAP,

Curt
Old June 22 2011, 09:06 PM   #2
A.V.I.A.F.
Captain

Re: STARTREKHISTORY.COM UPDATED 06-22-11

This is so cool! Thanks for posting this. I was not aware of this site, but I will definitely explore it now!
A.V.I.A.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

That models page is fascinating. Question, though: is it correct to interpret the "17th cruiser design" caption on the Jefferies sketch as meaning it was his 17th try in real life? My understanding is that the "1701" registry was chosen because it was easy to make out onscreen, so that would suggest the caption means that it's the 17th cruiser class in-universe, as a justification for the registry.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Warped9
Admiral

^^ I always believed 1701 was chosen because it was easy to see. The "in universe" explanation sounds like something of a retcon which I'm uncertain as to how much validity it has.
Old June 22 2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Wingsley
Commodore

^ As Warped9 just said, it has been bandied about in these forums that "NCC-1701" was chosen for its clear visibility on 1960s television. I have no conclusive verification of that, but I accepted it because it made obvious sense.
Old June 22 2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Warped9
Admiral

It could be more simple. The 17 refers to the 17th major design for Starfleet. But that doesn't reconcile with the only other registry we ever saw onscreen: 1017.

The Constellation appears to have been intended to be almost identical to the Enterprise only the registry doesn't make sense...unless the Constellation is older than the Enterprise (could be) and the registry signifies something else. I think this is more likely since it's unlikely Starfleet has several hundred Enterprise like ships in service.

Someone offered up an explanation sometime ago on another thread that could make some sense. The 1017 could mean to honour a previous ship of note named Constellation and hence why it was also commanded by a Commodore.

All this because someone was too lazy or sloppy to have put 1710 or 1711 or 1707 Mind you they could have done it simply because they thought another registry too similar to the Enterprise could be confusing. In which case my answer would simply be, "Hello, the Constellation is the one all shot to hell, right?"
Old June 23 2011, 02:24 AM   #7
Capt.Mac
Commander

Here's my speculation for what its worth. It says on the drawing, "17th cruiser design". The fact that the numbers 1701 are used is coincidence. 1017 was used on the Constellation because those were the only numbers available that came with the ATM model kit. They could of course have painted some other numbers as they went through the trouble of Painting the name Constellation on the model, but time is money, and its cheaper and quicker to go with what's available.
Old June 23 2011, 03:33 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^But what I'm saying is, the "17th cruiser design" caption on that blueprint could've been meant by Jefferies as an in-universe explanation for the 1701 number he'd already chosen for other reasons. It's jumping to a conclusion to assume it means it was his 17th try at a design for the Enterprise. I think if that were the case, we would've heard about it long before now and in multiple sources.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Capt.Mac wrote: View Post
Hello,

The site has been updated with Director Ralph Senensky's interviews and the seven episodes he directed.
http://www.startrekhistory.com/interviews.html

Additional minor updates to the models webpage:
http://www.startrekhistory.com/models.html

LLAP,

Curt
Great work Capt.Mac and team - what an amazing resource. I'd hate to think how much time you've put into finding all that info. Keep up the amazing work
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 11:58 AM   #10
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Superb site - bookmarked for future use.
Old June 25 2011, 01:25 AM   #11
Scrambo
Lieutenant Commander

View Scrambo's Twitter Profile

excellent website. I now know how to pass my time on a night shift......
Scrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Jefferies went though at least seventeen designs in the first freakin' week, so that explanation's out.

The numbers were picked for their visibility and legibility, with the "17th cruiser design" being an after-the-fact justification, in case anyone asked, which nobody did.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Capt.Mac
Commander

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Jefferies went though at least seventeen designs in the first freakin' week, so that explanation's out.

The numbers were picked for their visibility and legibility, with the "17th cruiser design" being an after-the-fact justification, in case anyone asked, which nobody did.
What's your source for that bit of info; the after-the-fact part?

Thanks!
Old June 29 2011, 11:17 PM   #14
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

He said it in several interviews. The choice of the numbers and letters themselves were for visibility and vague familiarity reasons, the "17th cruiser design" was an after-the-fact justification, which turned out to be completely unnecessary.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Capt.Mac
Commander

Thanks for the additional info. Updated:http://www.startrekhistory.com/models.html