New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 20 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
stueyross
Captain

Send a message via ICQ to stueyross Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to stueyross
Anything else like Game of Thrones

Hey All,

I've got relatively eclectic tastes I guess when it comes to TV, but among my favourites through the last 15 years or so have been Rome, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, most sci fi and of course most recently Game of Thrones.

Is there anything else out there that I may have missed that has the same quality and vibe?

Last edited by stueyross; June 20 2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: cant spell simple bloody words!!
stueyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: Anything else like Game of Thrones

The only show that comes to mind is Rome, which you've said you already seen.

Maybe "The Tudors"? I've never seen it but it gets high marks.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If you mean, you like shows of high quality regardless of genre:

BSG remake
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Prison Break
(S1, then it starts to wobble)
Big Love (S1-3)

Falling Skies looks good so far...maybe not quite in the same league as the others.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

I know you're asking about TV here, but the genre books I've read that has been most similar to GoT are the Dune novels and Raymond E. Feist's "Empire" trilogy (Daughter/Servant/Mistress of the Empire) which both involve feuding great houses.

[EDIT]Oh, and if you want to watch King's Landing-like zaniness, definitely watch the miniseries I, Claudius

Last edited by Evil Twin; June 20 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I had just recently finished Pillars of the Earth prior to starting Game of Thrones. Very enjoyable, and also in the vein of what you're looking for IMO.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 03:14 AM   #6
Witterquick
Captain

Can't think of any medieval type fantasy series. Try Oz and Six Feet Under if you haven't already. They're entertaining though really not the same vibe as GOT. Ever tried animes? Some are really quite epic and others are creative.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 03:36 AM   #7
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Well, Game of Thrones has been airing for UK audiences on Sky Atlantic, Mondays.

And what's going to take its 9 p.m. slot now?

Carnivale.

Surprisingly apt pick, that. Another HBO fantasy series with an incredible performance by a dwarf actor. And even if you're not a UK viewer that'll definitely be worth watching.

Also, I noticed you like Sopranos and Rome... and in that vein, The Wire and Deadwood are two fantastic, very solid HBO dramas. The Wire is novelistic and densely arced and a gripping crime drama, and Deadwood is a great period piece - a Western, granted - which is down in the muck and grime like Game of Thrones has been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfMSxf6P_AM&hl=en&fs=1&">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfMSxf6P_AM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

In fact The Wire has a pretty great preformance by Aiden Gillen, who played Littlefinger on Game of Thrones.
Old June 21 2011, 03:41 AM   #8
JD
Admiral

I don't know what the general opinion of it is here, but I would put the contemporary British spy drama know as MI-5 in the US and Spooks in the UK up there with the shows being mention. Just because when you read the Wiki entry, it does have a fair amount of spoilers.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 04:49 AM   #9
species5618
Commodore

Kegg wrote: View Post
Also, I noticed you like Sopranos and Rome... and in that vein, The Wire and Deadwood are two fantastic, very solid HBO dramas. The Wire is novelistic and densely arced and a gripping crime drama, and Deadwood is a great period piece - a Western, granted - which is down in the muck and grime like Game of Thrones has been.
100% agreed. While neither show has the precise "vibe" of Game of Thrones, they are both brilliant programs, two of my favourites. The dialogue is also endlessly quotable, a testament to the calibre of the writing staff of both programs.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 12:29 PM   #10
stueyross
Captain

Send a message via ICQ to stueyross Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to stueyross

Some good advice here, glad to see there's some like minded readers on the board. I hadnt thought about the Tudors so I might have to give that a go. By far the best suggestion here seems to be The Wire so I've decided to download the 1st season and give it a go.

Six Feet Under started off superbly and ended almost as well. A quality series. BSG was good but faded out. Same for Prison Break. West Wing was good too. Walking Dead continues to impress me.

Oh and thanks for the book suggestions. I've never been a massive fantasy reader, havent followed Eddings etc but I'll give those suggestions a go on the kindle later

Cheers All - good bunch!!
stueyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Shurik
Fleet Captain

I'll join in recommending Deadwood, Sons Of Anarchy, The Tudors and I, Claudius miniseries. I, Claudius' shenanigans make whatever happens in King's Landing look like child's play.
Old June 22 2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Another vote for Pillars of the Earth, I watched it recently and enjoyed it quite a bit. Tudors is also very solid.
Old June 22 2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

stueyross wrote: View Post
Oh and thanks for the book suggestions. I've never been a massive fantasy reader, havent followed Eddings etc but I'll give those suggestions a go on the kindle later
A disclaimer though that if you do ever plan to read Feist's Empire trilogy, his original, more traditional fantasy, Riftwar Saga (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon) should probably be read first. The Empire trilogy actually takes place at the same time as the Riftwar books, and while largely an independent tale, certain characters and events from the Riftwar books appear or are mentioned at times, and as such you'll have a better context and appreciation for them if you read the Riftwar books first.

Kind of like TNG/DS9 or Buffy/Angel
Old June 22 2011, 09:51 PM   #14
JD
Admiral

Bisz wrote: View Post
Another vote for Pillars of the Earth, I watched it recently and enjoyed it quite a bit. Tudors is also very solid.
Yeah, Pillars is really good. I picked up the novel part way through the mini, but I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I don't know if they will do an adaptation of it, but there was a sequel to the novel, World Without End, which takes place in the same town, a century or two later.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 10:24 PM   #15
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Bisz wrote: View Post
Yeah, Pillars is really good. I picked up the novel part way through the mini, but I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I don't know if they will do an adaptation of it, but there was a sequel to the novel, World Without End, which takes place in the same town, a century or two later.
I actually much preferred the Pillars of the Earth Mini-series to Game of Thrones, and I'm reading the novel at the moment. As for World Without End, it's said on Ken Follett's site that they're working on an adaptation for it, as well as he's working on a 3rd novel.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote