Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 2 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
xortex
Commodore

Vulcans

O.k., in 'Balance of Terror', Bot, it always struck me as odd that the Romulan Commander would tell Spock at the end - 'It will be our secret'. What, their affair? What if Spock was always a Romulan from the very beginning since Vulcans are Romulans. It would put a different spin and dynamic on reunification. Also, Spock saying that Vulcans are incabable of lying can't be true in it's perceived mythological sense since in 'The Mark of Gideon' he clearly lies when he says that the error in the transporter has been discovered and fixed and he would request permission to beam down to test it. Not to mention the different spin it puts on the movie if say his plan was for Romulus to be destroyed say but Vulcan was as well.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Vulcans

I think you mean "The Enterprise Incident." The Romulan Commander in BOT was played by Mark Lenard. I don't think he had an affair with Spock in that episode, though he did bear a remarkable resemblance to his dad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 04:15 AM   #3
Tiberius
Commodore

lol. Shatnertage, you're a bastard.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 06:36 AM   #4
xortex
Commodore

I did mean the Enterprise Incident, thank you, and also I think the Vulcans are theoretically more of a threat to the Federation than the Klingons or should be. At this point a reuification could be a disaster for the Federation. I'd like to see the Vulcans become our enemies more and the Klingons become our friends in the TOS era whether secretly or not, but the real mystery with Star Trek lies with the Vulcans and the Talosians, I guess. Also taking responses from any future centuries as well.

Last edited by xortex; June 2 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old June 2 2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Tiberius
Commodore

How do you mean the Vulcans are more of a threat to the Federation than the Klingons?
Old June 2 2011, 07:45 AM   #6
xortex
Commodore

Well in the Star Trek universe Humanity may have embraced an enemy with dark secrets and an unknown history. What if some race holds them responsible for somthong the Romulans do? Remember, we never know that Romulans are Vulcans or that they look like them during the Romulan war, so already, the Vulcans have lied to us and manipulated us greatly. They had to know.
Old June 2 2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

true, but I don't think that either of those makes the vulcans as dangerous as the klingons.
Old June 2 2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

xortex wrote: View Post
... since Vulcans are Romulans. ...
Is that true? Perhaps I'm not up enough on my Star Trek history, but I thought Vulcans and Romulans were separate but related species with a common ancestor.
Old June 2 2011, 04:54 PM   #9
T'Laina
Lieutenant

Yes, they are supposedly those who did not follow Surak, and split off (but we don't know quite for sure)
Old June 2 2011, 05:05 PM   #10
T'Laina
Lieutenant

May I just state something that has been bothering me?

Star Trek novels I have been reading keep writing about a Vulcan'sskin being hot to the touch, because of their higher body temperature. Fact: The body temperature of a Vulcan is 91 Fahrenheit, where as the Terran body temperature is 98.6 Fahrenheit. Conclusion: Vulcans are actually cooler to the touch, as they have a lower body temperature than humans.

It bothers me every time XD

Old June 2 2011, 05:20 PM   #11
xortex
Commodore

Valeris lied in ST VI. Remember, Vulcans are telepathic so they could be very deceptive and formitable and of use to the Romulans obviously as they are so integrated with the Federation they could pull the rug out from under it. The Klingons are our true brothers and would probably help us against the Romulan/Vulcans if need be if there was a reunification.
Old June 2 2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Valeris lied in ST VI. Remember, Vulcans are telepathic so they could be very deceptive and formitable and of use to the Romulans obviously as they are so integrated with the Federation they could pull the rug out from under it. The Klingons are our true brothers and would probably help us against the Romulan/Vulcans if need be if there was a reunification.

Seriously what are you smoking?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 05:35 AM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I think you mean "The Enterprise Incident." The Romulan Commander in BOT was played by Mark Lenard.
Shoot, I was thinking this topic was a whole lot more interesting than it is.

At this point a reuification could be a disaster for the Federation. I'd like to see the Vulcans become our enemies more
There's a kernel of a good story in there somewhere. 24th C, I'd say.

true, but I don't think that either of those makes the vulcans as dangerous as the klingons.
I don't think the ole turleheads are all that dangerous at all, once you understand what they're all about. They just want to storm around the galaxy and start fights and be glorious and honorable. That's not necessarily incompatible with the Feddie way of life.

But Vulcans and Romulans both have something dysfunctional and off-kilter about them, the sort of thing that can't help but eventually blow up in everyone's face.
The Klingons are our true brothers and would probably help us against the Romulan/Vulcans if need be if there was a reunification.
If I had to choose, I'd opt to keep the turtleheads as allies and drop-kick all those crazy-ass Vulcanoids. Your instincts are right on target.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2011, 07:30 PM   #14
xortex
Commodore

How would Kirk react to finding out Spock had been working for the Romulans ever since he knew him? Let alone Shatner's?
Old June 5 2011, 07:33 PM   #15
T'Laina
Lieutenant

How would Kirk react to finding out Spock had been working for the Romulans ever since he knew him? Let alone Shatner's?
He would split his pants.