Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 12 2011, 06:24 AM   #1
indolover
Fleet Captain

Picard and Sir Patrick Stewart

This sounds strange, and perhaps illogical, but I find it strange to see interviews of Sir Patrick Stewart and then see a TNG ep. Sir Patrick Stewart is nothing like Picard, he is jokey and comical, whilst Picard is very serious lol.

Of course, Picard is just a fictional character and not a real life person, but it seems strange nonetheless. All of the TNG cast seem like really funny people, the set must have been a real hoot!
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 06:29 AM   #2
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Picard and Sir Patrick Stewart

Well, ya know, its called "actin'" for a reason...
Old June 12 2011, 06:47 AM   #3
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I would say Seven of Nine is nothing like Jeri Ryan but for the most part Ryan made the role fit for her. It's just acting, something Sir Patrick Stewart was awesome at.
Old June 12 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

I met James Doohan once and he must've been having a bad day, or something. BUT he was nothing like Scotty!! A friend of mine went to a horror con the other day and met Malcolm McDowell and he said he was really dissapointed with his experience. You've got to remember they're actors and they're playing a role.
Here it's the 21st century with all the entertainment experience we've accumulated as Americans and we still are surprised that a performer isn't "like" their character. Or a singer doesn't really live the music they perform or are not married to their duet partner\bandmate.
Small sidenote: I'm going to Nashville next month to meet Shatner. Anyone got any advice on what that experience might be like? What should I expect, Hmmmm??
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Ask him if he'll do Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 04:06 AM   #6
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

BDJ wrote: View Post
Small sidenote: I'm going to Nashville next month to meet Shatner. Anyone got any advice on what that experience might be like? What should I expect, Hmmmm??
I "met" him in Chicago last year at a con.

He was nice enough, and his panel was VERY entertaining, I can't recommend enough seeing him speak.

His autograph line, though, was a quick production line. Get your signature (nothing personalized, just his name), say a quick hello, then get pushed along.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 06:02 AM   #7
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

Well, I guess I couldn't expect him to "sit down and visit awhile". Although the darned photo op is costing 79 bux! He could at least shake a hand or something.
But I figure, he's getting on in age and won't be doing this stuff for much longer. Although my wife swears the man must've sold his soul to the devil to be able to look and act so much younger than 80.
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 03:44 PM   #8
sonak
Vice Admiral

um yeah, the guy's an actor playing a role. Actors and actresses who play psychopaths are similarly not psychopaths in real life.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 02:11 AM   #9
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

We hope!

Old June 18 2011, 02:20 AM   #10
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

I went through an autograph line at an X Files convention some years ago. The actors were gracious, but when you think how many times they go through the routine, you can understand why they might not be very enthusiastic, especially if they're not extroverted to begin with. I would be more inclined to find someone who was a lesser light and perhaps get more of a chance to chat them up.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Danoz
Rear Admiral

indolover wrote: View Post
This sounds strange, and perhaps illogical, but I find it strange to see interviews of Sir Patrick Stewart and then see a TNG ep. Sir Patrick Stewart is nothing like Picard, he is jokey and comical, whilst Picard is very serious lol.

Of course, Picard is just a fictional character and not a real life person, but it seems strange nonetheless. All of the TNG cast seem like really funny people, the set must have been a real hoot!
Think also that a lot of people mellow out in their old age. Who knows? Maybe an older Picard is less emotionally closed and more playful and relaxed? I'm told my grandfather used to be quite serious, and now he's one of the most chill people you could meet.
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote