Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Greenwood Joins O.J. Simpson Series
By: T'Bonz on May 21

The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old October 4 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Amasov
Rear Admiral

iPhone 4S

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-next-iphone/1

I like what I'm seeing.

Still no iPhone 5 announcement as of this posting.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
EyalM
Captain

Re: iPhone 4S

Apple stock is down 4.7%. Ouch.
Old October 4 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Sheep
Vice Admiral

For a company that claims to focus on user experience and not fixate on hardware specs like Android phone manufaturers do, a spec bump is pretty disappointing.

They would have absolutely cleaned house with a bigger screen in a similar sized form factor. That said, the next year should be pretty interesting from a gadget lover's perspective.
Old October 4 2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

All in all, a very disappointing showing, IMHO.

Top end Android phones have the newest slickest iPhone beat.

- Sean, an iPhone guy.
Old October 4 2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

This is fantastic news...for me.

My contract was up a few months ago, and I wanted to re-up so I could get an iPhone 4 (16 GB, $199). But I decided to be patient and wait for this announcement to see what Apple was actually going to do. Now, I can get the same iPhone 4 for $99. I just saved myself a cool hundred bucks! (Yeah, it's only going to be an 8 GB phone, but I don't care about that). Hell, I'd even get the iPhone 3GS now that it's free, but I'm too worried that it won't run iOS5.

But seriously...what? A faster processor...for what, exactly? An 8 MP camera as opposed to a 5 MP...but it could be 20 MP...it's still a shitty cell camera, just like all cell cameras. Voice recognition software that's two years old...again, for what?
Old October 4 2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Candlelight
Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
For a company that claims to focus on user experience and not fixate on hardware specs like Android phone manufaturers do, a spec bump is pretty disappointing.

They would have absolutely cleaned house with a bigger screen in a similar sized form factor. That said, the next year should be pretty interesting from a gadget lover's perspective.
Agreed. The 1080p recording is great but how long will you be able to record that for??

There are still these "iPhone 5" cases popping up; maybe a redesigned iPod?? Next year with the promised new look Macbook Pro (hopefully not some wafer-thin Macbook Air-esque) and also at some point we should get a newly designed Mac Pro too.
Old October 4 2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Scout101
Admiral

Figure it didn't really matter for me either way. I'm holding out until they release a 4G version of the phone. Until then, they can upgrade the specs all they want, but it's really still the same stuff mine does. Increasing the actual network speed is what will get me, not how shiny and kewl angry birds will look on the screen...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Candlefright wrote: View Post
There are still these "iPhone 5" cases popping up; maybe a redesigned iPod??
Those were based on a prototype that's not supposed to see the light of day, according to "sources".
Old October 4 2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Amasov
Rear Admiral

When the 4S was announced, I pretty much figured the 5 wouldn't follow. I like what they've done with the 4S, but those features aren't enough to get me to upgrade to it. I'm going to assume that these features along with a boatload of new ones will be added to the 5. I'm halfway into my two year iPhone 4 contract, so hopefully, when it comes time for me to renew next Fall, the 5 should be on its way.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I've had my 3GS since the 3GS was launched, and I am very disappointed that the 4S is just an iPhone 4 with different guts.

There are Android phones with better specs, AND 4G LTE, AND bigger screens. Why should I stick with the iPhone?

I just got my wife a Galaxy S II last night. THAT'S a pretty phone...
Old October 4 2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Charlie Kelly
Commodore

This is certainly a disappointing launch for both Apple and Tim Cook. There is nothing 'special' about the new iPhone and there are arguably better phones already out there which are also cheaper. I wonder how this is going to affect their market share over the next year as it is already wobbling.
Charlie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Wow, what a disappointment.

My contract (iPhone 3GS) is up in exactly 2 months, and I was debating between the best new Android smartphones and the "new iPhone" - feeling sure there'd be an iPhone 5 based on leaked cases and parts manufacturers.

No frikken way do I get a 4S knowing there's an iPhone5 waiting in the wings. The 4S based on what I have seen does NOT beat the best of the Android smartphones. All they did was bring iPhone roughly up to par to Android... definately leaning towards a Galaxy S2.

Last edited by Stone_Cold_Sisko; October 4 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Well, as someone with a three-year-old iPhone 3G I am happy to upgrade to the 4S when it is available. I will admit that I was hoping for something more dramatic than what we got, but the rumors had been circulating for a while now that a 4S-style upgrade was in the cards (and not a full redesign). I guess this will be Apple's standard practice - introduce a model, update the model, and then replace it entirely. They did it with the 3G/3GS and now the 4/4S.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 12:14 AM   #14
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
No frikken way do I get a 4S knowing there's an iPhone5 waiting in the wings.
I'll be pretty surprised if there's a new iPhone out before September of next year, especially if it looks anything like the case manufacturers' hypothetical. There was a lot of fishy stuff about that leaked case spec sheet, from the lack of complimentary rumors, to the shape of the phone itself. A tapered design that's thicker on the top and thin at the bottom is only really sensible for something like a laptop, where it gives the keyboard a slight incline. It wouldn't be too weird for an iPhone held in portrait mode, but once you held it landscape, either the left side or right side would be thicker and the balance of it would be off. A peculiar choice, considering that Apple comes on pretty strong about iOS being a gaming platform, and so many games being motion-sensitive.

The same "weird, but acceptable in portrait, but totally bonkers in landscape" criticism can be leveled at the fact that the case spec has the screen set high up in the body of the phone, rather than centered. The small "forehead" and big "chin" is odd-looking vertically, but holding it horizontally means that the left or right hand won't have as much space to grip off the screen.
Old October 5 2011, 09:44 AM   #15
FreddyE
Commander

Charlie Kelly wrote: View Post
This is certainly a disappointing launch for both Apple and Tim Cook. There is nothing 'special' about the new iPhone and there are arguably better phones already out there which are also cheaper. I wonder how this is going to affect their market share over the next year as it is already wobbling.
Beeing able to just call out "Wake me up tomorrow 8 o clock" or "What will the weather be like tomorrow" without even touching the phone seem special enough for me. A further step towards trek like speech recognition.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote