RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,332
Posts: 5,353,330
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 639
Newest member: nmatos2005

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 26 2012, 01:01 AM   #421
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

If Nurse Chapel has been cast and is in this movie, she would have shot her scenes/publicity shots (read: reference material for artists) for the film months ago. Seems to me there's no reason the comic wouldn't be the place to reintroduce her before the film comes out. Or is even that too much of a peek behind the Gold-Pressed-Latinum Curtain for JJ?

And is anyone else getting the bad feeling Yeoman Rand's going to go the way of Tasha Yar in the comic before we reach the events of the next movie?
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 04:16 AM   #422
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Sent to the past to have a half Romulan baby?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 04:58 AM   #423
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
If Nurse Chapel has been cast and is in this movie, she would have shot her scenes/publicity shots (read: reference material for artists) for the film months ago. Seems to me there's no reason the comic wouldn't be the place to reintroduce her before the film comes out. Or is even that too much of a peek behind the Gold-Pressed-Latinum Curtain for JJ?
I really don't have any thoughts either way about whether or not she's in the movie. But if she is, they could be waiting to introduce her closer to the release of the movie.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:44 AM   #424
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
If Nurse Chapel has been cast and is in this movie, she would have shot her scenes/publicity shots (read: reference material for artists) for the film months ago.
Exactly, but they aren't finished teasing us with who is and isn't in the film yet. It's very unusual for licensed tie-ins to start using an actor's image before the parent film is due for release; in fact, contractually, they probably wouldn't do it until the film was imminent.

DC Comics did once use Janice Rand, sharing a scene with Admiral Cartwight, in a comic that was leading into their ST IV adaptation, but it was only a few issues before the theatrical premiere. It ended up being an easter egg that revealed that she was in ST IV, and based on Earth in a new role.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:32 PM   #425
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
If Nurse Chapel has been cast and is in this movie, she would have shot her scenes/publicity shots (read: reference material for artists) for the film months ago. Seems to me there's no reason the comic wouldn't be the place to reintroduce her before the film comes out. Or is even that too much of a peek behind the Gold-Pressed-Latinum Curtain for JJ?

And is anyone else getting the bad feeling Yeoman Rand's going to go the way of Tasha Yar in the comic before we reach the events of the next movie?
I agree that it's very likely that the reason we haven't seen Chapel is because when they do introduce her they will want her to resemble the actress.

I also agree that, if they decided to kill a 'regular' Rand would be right up there at the top. However, I think it would be a waste to kill her before they have established her fully.

At the moment, she's a glorified extra. She's been used more like a security guard, although she is still a yeoman. They should put in a few scenes to establish her as Kirk's Yeoman and cement a relationship between the two in the next 12 issues, maybe give her something useful to do in a few episodes, give her some time working with transporters, give her a couple of niches, maybe even start to play up Kirk's relationship to her. Then, in a year's time do an adaptation of Enemy Within and have evil Kirk kill her in a fit of jealous rage. Much as I love Janice and want her to be around for as much as possible and for as long as possible, that would be quite cool...
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:37 PM   #426
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Then, in a year's time do an adaptation of Enemy Within and have evil Kirk kill her in a fit of jealous rage.
I don't see that working unless they radically change the nature of what "evil Kirk" is. The point in the original is that both halves of Kirk are parts of who he is normally, that he needs them both to be the effective leader and whole person that he is. So anything that his "dark side" did would be part of his own potential and nature. If half of him committed murder, that would taint him irredeemably as a character.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:43 PM   #427
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Then, in a year's time do an adaptation of Enemy Within and have evil Kirk kill her in a fit of jealous rage.
I don't see that working unless they radically change the nature of what "evil Kirk" is. The point in the original is that both halves of Kirk are parts of who he is normally, that he needs them both to be the effective leader and whole person that he is. So anything that his "dark side" did would be part of his own potential and nature. If half of him committed murder, that would taint him irredeemably as a character.
Kirk the Jerk? It's sort of the same double standard used in the A-Team though isn't it? The characters engage in combat all the time and people die from hitting their heads on the ground, bleeding on the brain, or being blown up by a makeshift bazooka. I take your point though - I just think if Janice has to die, make it really controversial!
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:52 PM   #428
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

^Err, what? That's a complete non sequitur, and it's also completely counterfactual, since hardly anybody ever died on The A-Team.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 06:43 PM   #429
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Err, what? That's a complete non sequitur, and it's also completely counterfactual, since hardly anybody ever died on The A-Team.
Sorry if my point wasn't clear! People die in car accidents all the time. The A-team blew up lots of cars but people just got out unharmed. However, realistically, they could never have known that those people would be unharmed. They could be found guilty of attempted murder.

If Kirk punches Rand and she falls awkwardly how is that more heinous than punching a mook in a bar. Any one of them could fall awkardly and die.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 06:45 PM   #430
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

^Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with my point. Turning half of Kirk into a murderer, accidental or not, makes all of Kirk a murderer, and that's not an acceptable place to take his character. They'd have to change the story altogether so that the "duplicate" turned out to be an impostor or his Mirror self or something.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:51 PM   #431
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with my point. Turning half of Kirk into a murderer, accidental or not, makes all of Kirk a murderer, and that's not an acceptable place to take his character. They'd have to change the story altogether so that the "duplicate" turned out to be an impostor or his Mirror self or something.
Oh I dunno, he's already a cheat, a user, and a summary executioner. If evil Kirk were to cross that line in the Nu Universe, who'd even notice? Even NuSpock believes in summary executions.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 10:25 PM   #432
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Oh I dunno, he's already a cheat, a user, and a summary executioner. If evil Kirk were to cross that line in the Nu Universe, who'd even notice? Even NuSpock believes in summary executions.
Huh?

They were supposed to save Nero (and his big, dangerous ship?) at the last minute and put him on trial?
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 11:48 PM   #433
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Oh I dunno, he's already a cheat, a user, and a summary executioner. If evil Kirk were to cross that line in the Nu Universe, who'd even notice? Even NuSpock believes in summary executions.
Huh?

They were supposed to save Nero (and his big, dangerous ship?) at the last minute and put him on trial?
I made no judgment on what they were supposed to do; I merely observed what they did do and that NuSpock was in favour of summary execution. Judging by Scotty's harsh punishment in the comic I'm sure evil Kirk would have his diminished responsibility defence handy too...

Still, the upshot of this conversation is that everybody thinks Janice must LIVE! It's a relief I can tell you.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631

Last edited by Pauln6; August 27 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 11:51 PM   #434
RPJOB
Commander
 
RPJOB's Avatar
 
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Then, in a year's time do an adaptation of Enemy Within and have evil Kirk kill her in a fit of jealous rage.
I don't see that working unless they radically change the nature of what "evil Kirk" is. The point in the original is that both halves of Kirk are parts of who he is normally, that he needs them both to be the effective leader and whole person that he is. So anything that his "dark side" did would be part of his own potential and nature. If half of him committed murder, that would taint him irredeemably as a character.
I take it you're not in the "evil Kirk raped or attempted to rape Rand" camp then?
RPJOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:10 AM   #435
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Then, in a year's time do an adaptation of Enemy Within and have evil Kirk kill her in a fit of jealous rage.
I don't see that working unless they radically change the nature of what "evil Kirk" is. The point in the original is that both halves of Kirk are parts of who he is normally, that he needs them both to be the effective leader and whole person that he is. So anything that his "dark side" did would be part of his own potential and nature. If half of him committed murder, that would taint him irredeemably as a character.
I take it you're not in the "evil Kirk raped or attempted to rape Rand" camp then?
Yes and TOS Spock thought Rand might have enjoyed it.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.