Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 26 2012, 06:14 PM   #376
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
An upcoming IDW comic will feature Scotty's first meeting with Keenser!
They're already out of ideas and have done exactly one original story. I really don't care about the first meeting between a member of the crew and some minor character that really wasn't needed in the story to begin with.

Old July 26 2012, 06:37 PM   #377
Pauln6
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
They're already out of ideas and have done exactly one original story. I really don't care about the first meeting between a member of the crew and some minor character that really wasn't needed in the story to begin with.

Lol it will feature Keenser, it won't be about him. And this will be their third original story won't it? That's about 60/40 so far isn't it?

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 07:01 PM   #378
BillJ
Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post

Lol it will feature Keenser, it won't be about him. And this will be their third original story won't it? That's about 60/40 so far isn't it?
I'm only aware of the Vulcan two-parter.

IDW's output has been pretty embarrassing when compared to what DC and Marvel did with the license. Outside of John Byrne, the stuff they've been putting out isn't very good.
Old July 26 2012, 07:07 PM   #379
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Its probably because its suprevised by Orci and they want to keep it consistent.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 08:39 PM   #380
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Speak for yourself. I've been very underwelmed with what I've read of IDW's Star Trek Ongoing so far, but I've been wanting to read the Scotty/Keenser/Archer/Beagle backstory since I first saw the movie. I was hoping for a novel, but I guess this'll have to do.
Old July 26 2012, 11:43 PM   #381
Pauln6
Commodore

I'm only aware of the Vulcan two-parter.

IDW's output has been pretty embarrassing when compared to what DC and Marvel did with the license. Outside of John Byrne, the stuff they've been putting out isn't very good.
This months' tribble story is not a re-telling of the Trouble with Tribbles and the Keenser background story will make 3 original stories. So I think that makes 4 re-imaginings and 3 original stories.

The stories are enjoyable enough but I've been underwhelmed too. The best stories so far have been the first part of Vulcans Fury and the Return of the Archons storyline.

The stories are too brief to be engaging and the resolutions are forced to be too simplistic as a result. I don't see how they can change this unless they mix up the two-parters with some four-parters. The current Dr Who series mixes up its stories like and this and with a few exceptions, the longer stories are far better. I keep hoping that the writers will experiment with longer stories and see how they go down but they seem doggedly determined to stick to the current format!

Old July 27 2012, 03:28 AM   #382
The Wormhole
Admiral

There's another original story on the way in this line that focuses on the average day in the life of a redshirt.
Old July 27 2012, 03:33 AM   #383
Christopher
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
There's another original story on the way in this line that focuses on the average day in the life of a redshirt.
Sounds like a pretty short day...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 03:40 AM   #384
BillJ
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sounds like a pretty short day...
Indeed. At two issues they have enough time to kill him and flush his body out a torpedo tube.
Old July 27 2012, 06:30 AM   #385
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I hope it's Cupcake.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 07:42 AM   #386
Pauln6
Commodore

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I hope it's Cupcake.
I think they've used three recurring redshirts so far, Cupcake, Rand, and Zahra and I'd prefer to see a story developing one of them rather than some new character. I have an obvious bias towards Rand but if the goal is to kill the character at the end then Zahra gets my vote! Cupcake is going to be in the new movie and he's the only one with a defined personality so far so it's probable that it will be him but it would be really nice if they finally got round to developing one of the women a bit more.

Old July 27 2012, 08:21 AM   #387
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Well, I'm sorry I bothered to darken your day.

IDW is avoiding too many totally original tales, so as not to trample on the next film, and they were very upfront about those plans from Day #1. The current tribbles story is not a retelling, and just because you aren't interested in Keenser's origin doesn't mean that others aren't.

Sheesh.

I keep hoping that the writers will experiment with longer stories and see how they go down but they seem doggedly determined to stick to the current format!
The longer format wasn't seeming to be helping the TNG or DS9 comic stories sell in high numbers to the end of an arc, so the experiment with two-parters was a fresh start.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 10:08 AM   #388
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Sounds like this short shown on the SyFy channel years ago (when it was Sci-Fi channel, in fact)
Old July 29 2012, 03:10 AM   #389
DarKush
Rear Admiral

To be honest I'm not overly impressed from what I've read of Star Trek Ongoing thus far. I've only read the trade paper back, Volume 2, and I felt that the "Operation: Annihilate" adaptation was rushed. Keeping Kirk's brother alive was an interesting twist that was largely wasted. As for the Vulcan storyline, a very good set up that largely went nowhere. The Vulcan story especially should've been longer. It should've been five or more issues alone. To be positive, I have liked the artwork.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 04:07 AM   #390
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I think Star Trek Ongoing is fun! The tribble story is a hoot, thus far.
Kelso is online now   Reply With Quote