Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rank Vanguard: Declassified
Outstanding 23 36.51%
Above Average 34 53.97%
Average 3 4.76%
Below Average 2 3.17%
Poor 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25 2011, 09:25 PM   #16
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: Vanguard: Declassified Review Thread

^ Exactly. Read them in publication order, not chronological.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 04:48 PM   #17
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Tooooooooootally can't wait for Tuesday. My Kindle is ready for downloading. I think it would probably be safe to go ahead and click "Outstanding."

I have a friend who hasn't read any Vanguard yet. Could he read Declassified and it won't ruin the previous books and even make him want to go back and get them?
Old June 26 2011, 06:37 PM   #18
David Mack
Writer

^ He should read the first five novels before reading Declassified. As I had just said in the post immediately before yours.

Old June 26 2011, 11:21 PM   #19
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Well, yes, i just didn't know if getting into Declassified heavily relies upon your knowledge of the preceding books other than knowing the characters. i didn't know if the stories continue the Shedai plot or were largely independent mini stories.
Old June 26 2011, 11:23 PM   #20
David Mack
Writer

^ Both, actually. But seriously, this would not be an entry point into the saga. Readers who are already familiar with the series, its characters, and its situations will get more out of this than a new or casual reader. The series really is meant to be read in the order it was created.

Old June 28 2011, 02:26 AM   #21
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Awesome. Looking forward to going back to Vanguard. Here's to hoping for more contracts for Mack and Ward!
Old June 28 2011, 03:16 PM   #22
JD
Admiral

Just wanted to let the ebook readers here know that the electronic version of Declassified was released today, along with Greg Cox's Warehouse 13, and what appear to be all of the Star Wars novels published. So yeah, today is a very good day for Sci-Fi ebook readers.
Old June 28 2011, 04:17 PM   #23
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I started reading Almost Tomorrow on the bus this morning after finishing the last book I was reading. Interesting start.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 09:22 PM   #24
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I should start it this weekend.
Ronald Held is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 05:46 AM   #25
Psi'a Meese
Lieutenant Commander

Bought it today. But still rereading others from the series first. I'll rate the book soon though!
Old June 29 2011, 09:03 PM   #26
David Mack
Writer

In case anyone's interested, the fine folks over at StarTrek.com recently posted a lengthy “roundtable interview” with Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, Marco Palmieri, and yours truly regarding Star Trek Vanguard: Declassified.

So, if you’ve never had the pleasure of being trapped in a hotel bar with the four of us while we talked shop, now you can get a sense of just how truly excruciating that experience is, but without the mitigating effect of alcohol.

Seriously, we talk about the origin of Declassified anthology project, how it developed, and what readers can expect from the stories therein. If you’re a Star Trek Vanguard fan, this one’s for you.

Old June 29 2011, 09:54 PM   #27
JD
Admiral

I read that earlier today, and I found it really interesting. I always enjoy getting insight into how these kinds of things come about.
Old June 30 2011, 09:18 AM   #28
DWMarch
Captain

I just finished reading this and wow!

Great stories, each and every one. Feedback in no particular order:

Mack the knife! It's very rare for the Starfleet crew in any story to make it all the way to their objective and then just fail over and over again. And then to twist the knife, Bridy Mac's fate and Quinn's fate... It's a downer ending but it's thoroughly awesome because it's such a great set up for the next novel. I also loved the subplot about the bounty hunter who went after Quinn to avenge Zett. It makes me wonder if a drunk, angry Quinn might be wandering over towards the Omari-Ekon.

The Ruins of Noble Men: I loved the story of Gorkon and his son. It was also interesting to see angry Reyes and his eagerness to kick some ass. I didn't love the other plot quite as much because I hate obstinate colonists who won't do what is good for them and I liked Gannon and was sad that her story won't be continuing. But overall I'd say Marco knocked this one out of the park.

Hard News: after this story I can see why Pennington would take off to Vulcan for a while. Excellent establishment of why he would do so as it seemed kind of random when he decided to accompany T'Prynn at first (sorry I forget which novel this was in). I also liked the hint of romance between Pennington and Lt. Theriault.

Almost Tomorrow: an interesting glimpse at the start of Vanguard's story. As to be expected, I will take as much Vanessa Theriault as the authors are willing to provide and this story had lots of her. The spy stuff with Sandesjo and T'Prynn and Jetanien was great too (especially T'Prynn's aggressive approach!) although since it's been a while since I read the first Vanguard novel I didn't recall Jetanien knowing about Sandesjo and letting T'Prynn string her along. Was it just me or was there a hint of intimate involvement between Ens. Theriault and Cmdr. Terrell? I recall a scene where I was sure they were going to have a quickie but they were interrupted...

I enjoyed all the stories and I liked that the book spanned several time periods. I'm sad to see the Apostate go but I liked the advancement of that plot and the explanation for why the Jinoteur system disappeared. I also liked that there was some serious dwelling on the consequences of blowing up a planet and the nice depth of character motivations all around. Although all the Vanguard novels have been great so far I would rate this one as one of the best and I'm definitely anxious to see what's next!
DWMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2011, 12:41 PM   #29
David Mack
Writer

Most effusive praise, thank you! Glad you enjoyed the anthology. And I agree with your assessment that Marco knocked his story out of the park; I think "The Ruins of Noble Men" is an outstanding piece of work.

Old June 30 2011, 07:29 PM   #30
JD
Admiral

I'm having a total brain fart here. When did Desai learn about the Meta Genome? It was during on of the earlier books, right?