RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,575
Posts: 5,733,811
Members: 25,809
Currently online: 480
Newest member: shalhekhaeat


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 22 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
The Federation Holmes

I just came across this oddity of published fan fiction:

The Federation Holmes

Sherlock Holmes. Dr. Watson. Captain Kirk. Dr. McCoy. Spock. And Denebian Slime Devils? What's up? It's elementary! Here, gathered together for the first time, are Dana Martin Batory's rare science fiction parodies combining the very dissimilar worlds of Sherlock Holmes and Star Trek. Published between 1978 and 1991, the twelve short stories (plus one written especially for this book), appeared in the small fan magazine The Holmesian Federation, now a much sought after collector's item itself. The strange tales follow the life and adventures of Holmes and Dr. John H. Watson among the alien citizens and worlds of the Federation of Planets – from their "robotic" origins in "A Nostalgic Country of the Mind," to the stunning success of their first case in "Everything Comes In Circles", and Watson's own solo investigation in "Watson Comes Through."
Apparently it's been published by The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box, a tiny indie publisher focussing on publishing works set in the world of Sherlock Holmes. It's actually a hardcover: http://www.batteredbox.com/Sherlocki...Federation.htm

Kinda nifty that it predates Elementary, Dear Data.

Anyone read it? I mean, with Cumberbatch playing the villain in the next NuTrek movie - maybe a way to get in the mood?
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: The Federation Holmes

I haven't read it, but I am waiting for a Trek novel to mention Data attempting modern Sherlock in the holodeck.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 06:51 PM   #3
mmtz
Lieutenant Commander
 
mmtz's Avatar
 
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Re: The Federation Holmes

Sho wrote: View Post
I just came across this oddity of published fan fiction:

The Federation Holmes

Sherlock Holmes. Dr. Watson. Captain Kirk. Dr. McCoy. Spock. And Denebian Slime Devils? What's up? It's elementary! Here, gathered together for the first time, are Dana Martin Batory's rare science fiction parodies combining the very dissimilar worlds of Sherlock Holmes and Star Trek. Published between 1978 and 1991, the twelve short stories (plus one written especially for this book), appeared in the small fan magazine The Holmesian Federation, now a much sought after collector's item itself. The strange tales follow the life and adventures of Holmes and Dr. John H. Watson among the alien citizens and worlds of the Federation of Planets – from their "robotic" origins in "A Nostalgic Country of the Mind," to the stunning success of their first case in "Everything Comes In Circles", and Watson's own solo investigation in "Watson Comes Through."
Apparently it's been published by The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box, a tiny indie publisher focussing on publishing works set in the world of Sherlock Holmes. It's actually a hardcover: http://www.batteredbox.com/Sherlocki...Federation.htm

Kinda nifty that it predates Elementary, Dear Data.

Anyone read it? I mean, with Cumberbatch playing the villain in the next NuTrek movie - maybe a way to get in the mood?
Haven't read this recently published collection, but I've read the stories in several issues of The Holmesian Federation. Entertaining if you are a Trekkie and a Sherlockian. Guaranteed to make canon advocates of either flavor writhe in agony.
__________________
mark
Star Trek Comics Checklist
mmtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 11:55 PM   #4
William Leisner
Scribbler
 
William Leisner's Avatar
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
View William Leisner's Twitter Profile
Re: The Federation Holmes

Place your bets now on whether CBS or the Conan Doyle Estate file lawsuit first.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Federation Holmes

I have a copy of this. It's kept in a safe place where it cannot be harmed.

At this point, it's been about ten years since it was published, and I'm not even sure that the publisher is still in business.

The premise is that a Starfleet officer visits the planet from "Shore Leave," and he accidentally creates a Moriarty who escapes from the planet. To combat Moriarty, a Sherlock Holmes is created and then employed by Starfleet to bring Moriarty to justice.

The stories are okay. They don't have a Watsonian flavor at all. They're niche 70s-era Star Trek fanfic, and I think there's even a reference to the Animated Series at one point.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 04:09 PM   #6
nightwind1
Commodore
 
nightwind1's Avatar
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
Re: The Federation Holmes

Sho wrote: View Post
I just came across this oddity of published fan fiction:

The Federation Holmes

Sherlock Holmes. Dr. Watson. Captain Kirk. Dr. McCoy. Spock. And Denebian Slime Devils? What's up? It's elementary! Here, gathered together for the first time, are Dana Martin Batory's rare science fiction parodies combining the very dissimilar worlds of Sherlock Holmes and Star Trek. Published between 1978 and 1991, the twelve short stories (plus one written especially for this book), appeared in the small fan magazine The Holmesian Federation, now a much sought after collector's item itself. The strange tales follow the life and adventures of Holmes and Dr. John H. Watson among the alien citizens and worlds of the Federation of Planets – from their "robotic" origins in "A Nostalgic Country of the Mind," to the stunning success of their first case in "Everything Comes In Circles", and Watson's own solo investigation in "Watson Comes Through."
Apparently it's been published by The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box, a tiny indie publisher focussing on publishing works set in the world of Sherlock Holmes. It's actually a hardcover: http://www.batteredbox.com/Sherlocki...Federation.htm

Kinda nifty that it predates Elementary, Dear Data.

Anyone read it? I mean, with Cumberbatch playing the villain in the next NuTrek movie - maybe a way to get in the mood?
I actually own the original fanzines. The stories are very fun and entertaining, very well written.
nightwind1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Idran
Captain
 
Re: The Federation Holmes

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Place your bets now on whether CBS or the Conan Doyle Estate file lawsuit first.
It won't be the Conan Doyle estate. Sherlock is public domain, since he was published in the 19th century.
Idran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 07:20 PM   #8
JB2005
Commodore
 
JB2005's Avatar
 
Location: England, UK
Re: The Federation Holmes

^ Except for "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes" which I think the estate still has copyright over...
__________________
Click here to see my failed attempt to write a children's story!
JB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Federation Holmes

JB2005 wrote: View Post
^ Except for "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes" which I think the estate still has copyright over...
Only in the United States. The Canon is in the public domain elsewhere in the world.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 03:49 PM   #10
JB2005
Commodore
 
JB2005's Avatar
 
Location: England, UK
Re: The Federation Holmes

I stand corrected!
__________________
Click here to see my failed attempt to write a children's story!
JB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 03:44 AM   #11
terpette
Commander
 
terpette's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
View terpette's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to terpette
Re: The Federation Holmes

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I have a copy of this. It's kept in a safe place where it cannot be harmed.
I read the first post and I thought to myself, "I wonder if Allyn's heard of this..."



Karen
__________________
STARFLEET wants YOU! Join the USS Richthofen ,a chapter of STARFLEET: The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc (the oldest Star Trek Fan group in the world!)
terpette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.