Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18 2011, 04:48 PM   #91
scnj
Captain

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

I went B. It was a fun superhero flick with sci-fi overtones. I think it could have been improved by making the universe a bit bigger or having more stuff on Oa. A sequel with more Sinestro would be welcome.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 07:55 PM   #92
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Haven't paid much attention to this movie till now but from what I've seen, the eye candy just ain't up to snuff. Other than Ryan Reynolds of course. Sounds like a misfire. Too bad, this had the potential to be a good franchise. (And I wouldn't bet against financial success and sequels, either. The international box office doesn't care how good or bad these kinds of movies are, which is why we're getting another Tron sequel. )

Variety:
...the filmmakers mock their own bid for seriousness with a jokey, self-conscious attitude elsewhere that, far from providing knowing comic relief, merely saps the picture of gravitas.
Ugh. If there's one thing I hate in a sci fi movie, it's campy humor. (Humor that is part of the in-universe setting, not commenting from the outside, is another thing - I like to see that.)

All comic book characters are inherently silly. A guy shooting spiderwebs from his wrist is no less silly than some guy getting a green ring that powers a lantern that lets him have whatever he wants. Magic rings and magic lanterns have been staples of fantasy fiction for longer than I care to contemplate.

But if you're doing a "silly" story, you need to have the courage of your convictions. Take the damn ring and lantern and believe in it, and make the audience believe in it. If you have such contempt for the material that you need to make fun of it, make a different movie instead.

Sounds like Reynold's performance ain't all that either (but the problem might be how the character was written and how he was directed - he certainly could play the Luke Skywalker type character if called upon to.)

Reynolds looks alternately flabbergasted and self-satisfied, providing little emotional bandwidth for a hero whose sense of wonder the viewer is never allowed to access.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 07:59 PM   #93
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
I like Millar's comic work, for the most part, but I think the Kick-Ass movie is kind of overrated. Everyone seems to love it, and I don't think it quite earns that love.
Ditto. Love the av, Darth.
Old June 18 2011, 07:59 PM   #94
scnj
Captain

I can't say I noticed any humour designed to mock the character itself. About the closest they came was the 'I pledge allegiance' oath.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 08:07 PM   #95
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Maybe it's incompetence rather than campiness - I did get a chance to watch that scene, and yuck, whatever they were going for, they didn't accomplish it, unless they're trying to make the audience cringe.

Anyway, I feel sympathy for GL fans who are having their hopes dashed by this mess. I can only imagine how bad I'd have felt if the news on Star Trek 09 had sounded dire before its release, or if the news about Captain America and (to a lesser extent) Conan did right now. But I've never been into any of the DC characters.
Old June 18 2011, 08:09 PM   #96
MacLeod
Admiral

I think I'll be giving this one a miss, might catch it when it's on DVD or TV. I know I mught get killed for saying this but the studios are starting to move into the B list of comic book heroes. GL might be well known in the States, but aside from regonising the name and it's a ring that gives him power I know next to nothing about this particular character. Oh sure I could name plenty of other comic book heroes but outside of the big names

Superman
Batman
Spiderman
The X-Men
Fantastic Four

GL is relatively unkown, it hasn't quite entered the public consious as much as some. I think Captain America: The First Avenger might suffer the same when it hits the foreign markets.

But then again perhaps being unkown can help as much as hinder.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 10:04 PM   #97
DarKush
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
So do you think this is doing well enough that DC might start expanding their movie roster with more hero(ines) like the Flash, Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow?
That's what I'm curious about. I'm waiting to see what the actual weekend take will be as well as seeing if this film has legs. As I said somewhat in my review, I don't think the film did enough to establish the tentpole of a franchise or to get casual fans excited in the DCU or wanting to see more DC heroes. I don't think it will bomb, not from the early numbers people have put up on this board, but I wonder if it will underperform and that in itself my scare away WB/DC from pursuing other heroes. I do hope that Flash and Wonder Woman at least get a shot. I doubt we'll see Green Arrow in anything solo, maybe as part of the Justice League, or Smallville: The Movie .
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 10:39 PM   #98
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
If there's one thing I hate in a sci fi movie, it's campy humor. (Humor that is part of the in-universe setting, not commenting from the outside, is another thing - I like to see that.)
I was just thinking that Firefly mocks all sorts of clichés and people love it.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I know I mught get killed for saying this but the studios are starting to move into the B list of comic book heroes. GL might be well known in the States, but aside from regonising the name and it's a ring that gives him power I know next to nothing about this particular character. Oh sure I could name plenty of other comic book heroes but outside of the big names

Superman
Batman
Spiderman
The X-Men
Fantastic Four

GL is relatively unkown, it hasn't quite entered the public consious as much as some. I think Captain America: The First Avenger might suffer the same when it hits the foreign markets.

The news clip in Kegg's post also made fun of the fact that they're making a movie about a relatively unknown character. I don't know why though, since it's nice to see something other than another Batman/Superman remake.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 11:20 PM   #99
flandry84
Captain

I've just been to see GL and all I can say is wow!
Wow!200 million bucks and still they couldn't afford a decent script!

Such a tepid,cliche-ridden pile of nonsense.It's movies like this that will kill the superhero genre and probably rightly so.I find it hard to believe that a movie about a guy that can fly etc. could be so absolutely joyless,it beggars belief.
Old June 19 2011, 02:00 AM   #100
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Saw it last night as a GL fan I was disappointed it was not as bad as I feared but not as good as I had hoped.

They explained a lot of stuff for the newcomers however it was so quick it didn't give enough time for things to sink in for people who are not familiar with the source material. Some of the CGI was mediocre at times on Oa at certain points it looks like Ryan Reynolds head was floating around in a CG background. The editing was not very good it looks like a lot was taken out to meet the run time I wonder if a directors cut would be better in that department.

The character design is hideous while the suits look good moving around and animated in a still shot they look terrible I really hope the comics don't change themselves to look like this movie (I hate it when they do that). The movie almost suffers the same problem that Spiderman 3 had too much going on.

Ryan Reynolds did make a good Hal Jordan and Mark Strong was awesome as Sinestro. If they had just slowed things down and developed a few characters the movie would have been so much better. The movie had the potential to be great but they blew it something I had feared would happen to Iron Man.

I don't think these companies realize how damaging a bad movie can be to their properties I'd rather have no movie at all than have my favorite characters associated with garbage.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 02:07 AM   #101
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

My review on Facebook:

While I'm not an avid Green Lantern reader, I'm familiar enough with the mythos based on the DC titles I've read and the animated shows and films I've seen.

When I first heard Ryan Reynolds was picked for the role of Hal Jordan, I immediately thought, "Oh, please. Why him?" To me, Reynolds seemed to have been typecast as the goofy handsome guy in comedies and romantic films. He didn't seem to possess that "mature" persona; I thought he'd be more suited to play someone younger, say, Kyle Rayner. Even when I was watching the movie, I got that vibe about Reynolds. His character was cocky, reckless, and irresponsible, which is the way he was written, but that's not the Green Lantern I've read about. In fairness, this was an origin movie, and there might have been a time when Hal Jordan was so much like Ryan Reynolds. Or maybe not. Still, it wasn't a terrible origin movie.

The plot was simplistic and straightforward in a good-versus-evil way. A vicious galactic entity (Parallax) is bound for Earth, and an unlikely and reluctant person (Hal Jordan) has been appointed to be its new protector by an intergalactic peacekeeping force (The Green Lantern Corps). The story was a bit uneven in some parts. For example, Hal Jordan is overwhelmed with awe and amazement when he meets a dying purple alien, Abin Sur, gets his power ring and lantern, and goes to the planet Oa, meets hundreds of alien beings, before being trained as a Green Lantern. Soon afterwards, he's back on Earth, feeling happy-go-lucky, partying with Carol Ferris, as if nothing significant has ever happened. Only when trouble arises in the form of a crashing helicopter does Hal spring into action as a costumed superpowered being. Really? How does the public react to the arrival of this new hero? Is there a press conference? How do the authorities and the government react to the appearance of Green Lantern? None of these issues are really explored. How does Hal Jordan deal with being a Green Lantern? Does he get angsty, like Peter Parker, thinking, with great power comes great responsibilitiy? Does he dig into his soul, like Tony Stark, and realize what good he can accomplish with this newfound gift? He doesn't.

The other cast members, especially Mark Strong as Sinestro and Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond, were fine although their characters could've been fleshed out more. The overall cinematography (in terms of sound, visual effects, CGI rendering) was pretty good. The costumes were done right, though I didn't care for them months ago when I saw the "flayed" look.

The movie wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be. It's one of those films that could've been so much better in a lot of ways but I enjoyed nonetheless.
Overall Rating: B-
Old June 19 2011, 02:11 AM   #102
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

The news clip in Kegg's post also made fun of the fact that they're making a movie about a relatively unknown character. I don't know why though, since it's nice to see something other than another Batman/Superman remake.
Well as MacLeod said, Green Lantern doesn't have a lot of name recognition - here in Europe, anyway. I literally had no idea who the character was until a few years ago when JacksonArcher and the like were discussing movie prospects for him. I've personally never known any fans of the Green Lantern, or seen any GL paphernalia or comics when shopping. It's why I found the Onion clip so funny, it kind of captured my reaction entirely.

Granted, I had no idea who Iron Man was either, and I think that did okay internationally.
Old June 19 2011, 02:41 AM   #103
Nowhere Man
Commodore

I saw it last night and I gave it a C+. I loved the space scenes and all of the stuff on Oa. The guardians were pretty assholish as I would expect them to be. I liked the plot and I liked the fights as well as the things that the ring produced. The problems I had with this movie is the problems I had with X-Men and Thor, know of them, but I don't know them. I am a DC man, so I do know more about GL than Thor from Super Friends and John Stewart from JL. And The Daily Show so I do know about GL's origin and stuff. The other problem I had with this movie as well as the others is the lack of wow factor like I got with Iron Man and BB and TDK. These other superhero films seem to lack that. Overall I thought it was a good superhero mObie and I liked the CGI for the most part. The mask was retarded, the suit I liked, though I still want to see the white glIves. Synestro was awsome.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 03:16 AM   #104
JD
Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
I doubt we'll see Green Arrow in anything solo, maybe as part of the Justice League, or Smallville: The Movie .
Which sucks, because Super Max sounded really cool, and I would love to see them go back to it.
Old June 19 2011, 04:30 AM   #105
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Green Lantern

My Grade: B-

---------------------------------------------------

I almost would swing to a C+ but I liked the pretty in it (Blake Lively) so there's that.

I'm not a fan of the Green Lantern so I know nothing about his origins or how things are "supposed to be" so my experience wasn't weighted with that anticipation or expectations, in short The Green Lantern serves as the origin story for the comic book superhero who possesses an alien ring that allows him to manifest anything he can think of and serves in a corps of 3,000-some aliens from around the universe all of whom are tasked with watching over and protecting a segment of the cosmos, a segment which can include thousands of galaxies, millions of planets and billions of species. Budget cuts, you see.

Like many superheroes start-out Hal is a bit of a screw-up in his normal life to the point that he's fired when he points out to an Air Force defense contractor that an airplane that has an operational ceiling of 50,000 feet before completely dying isn't a good idea but fate has it's ways and a dying alien member of the Green Lantern Corps has come to give Hal the ring to carry on his duties. Hal is reluctant at first and humans are seen as a "young" race compared to others in the corps they're none-to-happy too especially when Hal mostly shirks his responsibilities for most of the movie up until Movie Villain #267-B (Giant Space-faring Ball/Cloud of Evil) turns up to not only wipe out Earth but also to continue on to wipe out the Lantern's home planet too. With no where else to turn as their efforts have so-far failed the Lanterns decide to pretty much shrug-off part of their own code and embrace the "dark side" in order to defeat Evil, who can show the Lanterns the error of their ways and back on to the path they've followed for eons?

It's also interesting that MV#267-B crosses the cosmos from a remote sector of the universe to Earth in a matter of days but once Earth-bound it's somewhat sluggish.

The movie, for me, was mostly entertaining but it also plodded along and was bogged down by trying to cram-in The Green Lantern's complex origin story (namely the nature of the group he belongs to), his internal conflicts, his external conflicts (with a former, on/off girlfriend/life-long friend), then there's the origins of the movie's villain, his internal and external conflicts (wanting "the girl", daddy issues) and then our big villain in MV#267-B. There's a lot here and getting there has a lot of somewhat slow spots or places where time could've been better spent exploring all of these issues and plots. There's probably a couple movies worth of story here, this one could've been better spent on setting up Hal and TGLC with a somewhat smaller baddie, I don't think Hal needed to save the entire universe his first time out.

The special effects, for me, were mostly okay but anymore CGI in movies of this nature are beginning to look to busy and too cartoony, space is shown as too complex, colorful and busy, alien worlds are too vast, colorful, busy and filled with too much "oddity" none of it "worked" for me. The CGI suit I could take or leave. Ryan Reynolds does a better job that I expected from the trailers so I actually enjoyed him here, the rest of the cast aside from the previously mentioned female lead are mostly forgettable for me. This movie plays like a Cliiff Notes version of what the entire first season of a GL movie would be like.

I did not see this movie in 3D and I'm glad as I can see some plenty of places where the format would have been abused and overused to point of annoyance particularly in space and in alien worlds. And as a final note, the movie's creators have no idea how gravity works.

The movie is probably worth seeing, I saw it on a free ticket so no loss for me, but I think it'll be mostly forgotten as time goes on and won't quite rank with some of the better superhero movies that have came out even the last 10 years; if the movie gets a sequel it needs to pace itself and try not to cram so much into one movie. That was the problem here, it wanted the entire world in one shot and for that it had to make Hal save the entire damn universe.

If you look back at a movie like Superman The Movie you'll see that pretty much that entire movie is spent on Superman's origins, his rise to the public spot-light and him finally accepting and realizing who he is and what he has to do in order to be Superman. His big threat? Lex Luthor's pretty simple plan of detonating bombs in order to seize a real-estate opportunity and that plot pretty much only soaks up the last half-hour or so; the big villains and story doesn't come until the sequel.

Superhero movies need to step back to that line of thinking just a bit and try not to take the world all in one shot and explore things a bit while laying the foundation, hell look at Batman Begins (again, fairly small "big baddie"/plot" compared to the origin story) and then "The Dark Knight" (origin established, bring out the big guns.)

Slow. Down.

Fun movie, go see or don't, whatever. Barring a Rifftrax on this this Fall it's not likely one I'll see again or buy on DVD.