Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 27 2011, 05:28 PM   #376
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Dennis wrote: View Post
I don't think GL is gonna succeed in the movies on the basis of his ring constructs unless they become a lot more inventive. This is one of those things that worked better in the comics than on screen. What he does is sometimes counterintuitive; someone unfamiliar with GL watching him go through his machinations with the oil tanker, springs and artillery gun is more likely to think he's wasting time than to think "wow, cool."
I thought the constructs were about the only thing that really made GL stand out and feel unique from all the other superhero movies out there.

And I don't think you really have to be a fan (I certainly wasn't until recently) to find those scenes to be the highlight of the movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 05:34 PM   #377
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Some worked, some didn't. I didn't think any of them were the "highlights" of the film, because they tended toward the gimmicky. I mean - an artillery gun and giant springs? Blowing up an oil tanker?

What's wrong with just pointing the ring right at Parallax's face and letting loose on it? Come to think of it, the GLs in space didn't try that either, they just took turns conjuring up a chain-link necklace for the critter.

Nowhere in the movie was it suggested that the rings were ineffective directly against Parallax because of the alleged "yellow impurity," so that's not it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 05:44 PM   #378
davejames
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Some worked, some didn't. I didn't think any of them were the "highlights" of the film, because they tended toward the gimmicky. I mean - an artillery gun and giant springs? Blowing up an oil tanker?
Well, yeah, that's the point! Silly, ridiculous, Rube Goldberg-style gimmicks are a heck of a lot of fun to watch. At least I tend to think so.

What's wrong with just pointing the ring right at Parallax's face and letting loose on it? Come to think of it, the GLs in space didn't try that either, they just took turns conjuring up a chain-link necklace for the critter.
Eh, some of that would have been fine, I guess. But personally I always found it dull as hell on the Justice League cartoon when Stewart would do nothing but shoot energy beams and create shields around stuff.

You have a magic, all-powerful ring... and that's all you do with it??
Old June 27 2011, 06:28 PM   #379
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Well, the problem is that there's nothing "all-powerful" about conjuring up a gun and a gasoline explosion to fight a genocidal intergalactic alien menace. That's why it comes off as a bit silly on screen.
Old June 27 2011, 06:33 PM   #380
flemm
Fleet Captain

I think you're touching on an aspect of the character that is challenging to handle in all media, including comics.

Initially, a weapon that is limited only by its user's creativity would seem like an artist's (or special effects guru's) dream come true, but in fact it can be hard to satisfy the expectations that the concept creates.

As far as the franchise's future film prospects are concerned, though it pains me to say it, I expect we will see a se-booted GL in a few years' time. Or possibly a re-quel

Another GL movie will be made but they will need to distance themselves from this movie in one way or another, even if it means inventing new jargon.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 06:50 PM   #381
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They most likely think that replacing the director and screenwriters will be sufficient, and that's probably a good call. They'll try to hold on to the cast.
Old June 27 2011, 07:01 PM   #382
flemm
Fleet Captain

Maybe, though for most movie-goers, the star is probably the most recognizable figure. By most accounts, Reynolds is not the problem with this movie, but rather script and production issues. Still, bringing him back would move the film toward sequel territory, which might not be wise considering the film's under-performance and widespread perception that it was/is a failure.

Whatever, I'm sure the suits are hashing this all out as we speak, and there are other variables.

If Man of Steel and Avengers are both hits, WB might decide to do a Justice League movie and re-introduce Green Lantern that way, along with Flash and a few others. Then individual movies could be spun out of that film. This would probably mean a different actor for GL.
Old June 27 2011, 07:30 PM   #383
davejames
Vice Admiral

I don't understand the problem people have with the movie's direction at all. I thought Campbell took a rather thin story and made it feel about as substantive and polished as it could possibly be.

I thought the action scenes worked really well too. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing a sequel really needs is a stronger story.
Old June 27 2011, 07:33 PM   #384
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic
Re: Green Lantern...to see or not to see?

Loved it.
Old June 27 2011, 07:41 PM   #385
O'Dib
Commodore

Re: Green Lantern...to see or not to see?

It's a serviceable film. Good enough to satisfy that theater-going crave in the absence of anything better.
Old June 27 2011, 08:09 PM   #386
flemm
Fleet Captain

^ Well, the film's critical and financial reception suggests that there were deeper issues. Now, I'm not denying the buzz was perhaps worse than the film really deserved, all things considered, but perception is king in this scenario: for whatever reason, audiences did not respond well to this movie and are therefore not likely to respond well to a sequel.

If ads for the next GL movie feature Ryan Reynolds in the same green CGI suit, there is no reason to think audiences will suddenly have a change of heart. If anything, such a film would be likely to perform even more poorly than this one did, as reviews were embargoed until just prior to opening weekend. A sequel would have to overcome the first film's negative reception, which would be extremely difficult.

In that sense, changing the director and writers means little unless they bring in someone like Abrams, Nolan or Bay, which seems unlikely. Writers are pretty much faceless to general audiences, and there are only a few directors with the type of established reputation and record of success that could change the franchise's fortunes.
Old June 27 2011, 08:32 PM   #387
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I don't understand the problem people have with the movie's direction at all. I thought Campbell took a rather thin story and made it feel about as substantive and polished as it could possibly be.
I disagree. Campbell's to blame. From the thumb's up of Hal's Father at the moment of explosion to the nonsensical placement of the asteroid belt....

At the very least, he could have cut the Belt from the theatrical cut--it didn't do anything, we wouldn't have missed it. (I know I'm harping on that stupid belt, but, it's short hand for the idiocy of the direction) Or he could have cut Parallax escaping--you know, from an unguarded cell that only made the GLs look stupid.

Films are a director's medium, the writers have very little power. Campbell should've stepped up. He's capable.

He'll be dumped if there's a sequel.
Old June 27 2011, 08:41 PM   #388
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

They can't dump him if he's already said he won't return (which he has.)
Old June 27 2011, 09:03 PM   #389
T'Baio
Admiral

Campbell would not necessarily be to blame for things like the asteroid field, especially if he's merely a "director-for-hire." A for hire director might not be quite as hands on with the art or effects department as we've been led to believe when watching docs about George Lucas or Jon Favreau. That scene might be halfway rendered by the time he sees it and goes "...an asteroid belt!?! Between the Earth and sun? No!" "That'll cost 3 million bucks to fix, Mr. Campbell." "Fuck it. perfect."

He is, however, partly to blame (outside of executive tinkering, which is highly likely considering the "edited by Stuart Baird" credit...the great studio's go to fix it guy! Haha!) for the film's lack of consistent tone, sloppy and careless shooting style, some bad performances, refusing to really show the audience anything and continually cutting to "tell us what's happened/happening" dialogue scenes, and the films terrible pace.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 09:07 PM   #390
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
They can't dump him if he's already said he won't return (which he has.)
Which is why he announced he's not coming back. It's called "jumping before you're pushed."