Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23 2011, 01:57 AM   #271
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Get the Saw people to make a Lobo movie.

Have Ryan and that Spud form Superman Returns show up to get hack and slashed.

no one wanted to see them "win" but maybe Hollywood will cheer if Superman and green lantern lose a couple limbs in front of the camera as payback for forcing us to watch those shitty shitty movies?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 02:03 AM   #272
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Is there a reverse inflation widget on the net somewhere?

Can I see that "take" in 1985 dollars and compare it to Back to the Future?
Right here. I entered $60,000,000 in 2011 dollars and it gave me a number of $28.5 million in 1985 dollars, a inflation rate of -52% over the last 26 years.

Its opening weekend Back to the Future made $11 million its opening weekend in 1985 dollars, it opened in pretty much half as many theaters as the Green Lantern did and spent most of the summer in the #1 spot, being dropped to #2 for one week due to National Lampoon's European Vacation. It was #1 pretty much from it's opening in the first weekend in July until late September, taking in about $210m (in 1985 dollars) over the course of the Summer in the United States, equal to about $440in today's dollars.

Keep in mind we're pretty widly comparing things here, back to the future paid for its budget ($11 million) inside of two weeks, opened in far fewer theaters and in a completely different market than what exists today. But $-for-$, Green Lantern's opening weekend was a lot larger than Back to the Future's, the latter featuring a rising star in the acting world (Fox.)
Thank you

it would be almost impossible for a movie today to hold onto the number one spot for that long but if it did, we'd be talking about the first movie to gross over a billion dollars in the box office alone.

Old June 23 2011, 02:10 AM   #273
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Is there a reverse inflation widget on the net somewhere?

Can I see that "take" in 1985 dollars and compare it to Back to the Future?
Right here. I entered $60,000,000 in 2011 dollars and it gave me a number of $28.5 million in 1985 dollars, a inflation rate of -52% over the last 26 years.

Its opening weekend Back to the Future made $11 million its opening weekend in 1985 dollars, it opened in pretty much half as many theaters as the Green Lantern did and spent most of the summer in the #1 spot, being dropped to #2 for one week due to National Lampoon's European Vacation. It was #1 pretty much from it's opening in the first weekend in July until late September, taking in about $210m (in 1985 dollars) over the course of the Summer in the United States, equal to about $440in today's dollars.

Keep in mind we're pretty widly comparing things here, back to the future paid for its budget ($11 million) inside of two weeks, opened in far fewer theaters and in a completely different market than what exists today. But $-for-$, Green Lantern's opening weekend was a lot larger than Back to the Future's, the latter featuring a rising star in the acting world (Fox.)
Thank you

it would be almost impossible for a movie today to hold onto the number one spot for that long but if it did, we'd be talking about the first movie to gross over a billion dollars in the box office alone.
You mean like Avatar? Or The Dark Knight?
Old June 23 2011, 02:10 AM   #274
Warped9
Admiral

Films could once stay several weeks to months in theatrical circulation. But that was before extra could be made through home video rental and sales. Today even a hit film isn't likely to stay in theatres all that long.
Old June 23 2011, 04:17 AM   #275
Valley Forge
Lieutenant Commander

Hi all,

I liked the GL books, most of all the Kyle books (not so hot on Hal, but whatever).

I really wanted to like this movie, but it fell flat.

The ring looked cheesy, and that wasn't the worst of it. Hal is supposed to be the man without fear, or at least a VERY self-sure, egotistical test pilot. Whether by writing or just not having the chops for the part, Hal came across as a completely whiney flat character, which is completely the opposite of what Hal is in the comics.

THAT one thing pretty much ruined the movie for me.

But the rest of the film was meh. The score was flat. There was no sense of fun, adventure or wonder at the GLCorps. The few shining spots were on Oa and the "origin" scene with Abin and Hal.

Ironman wasn't that great a script, but RDJr OWNED the role. At the end of the movie you pretty much could say "yup, that was Tony Stark".

I thought that Thor was a better flick, and a VERY apt comparason for GL. Here is a lesser known property, but Thor simply rolled over GL. It was a bit glitzy in places, but you were left with a sense of wonder, and Chris Hemsworth was so over the top it was a very enjoyable film.

I will give props to Mark Strong, who gave a great performance.

When I first heard that Marvel was going to try to do a multi-year story, with top talent, leading up to an Avengers movie, I thought to myself "no way will they keep that on track". So far, they have defied my expectation.

I'm not sure if GL is supposed to be in the same "universe" as the current Batman or Superman properties, but it would seem that DC did itself a disservice by following a different track.

Vf
Valley Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 05:48 AM   #276
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

From what I understand, DC is goin' for a Justice League movie just 'cause Marvel is makin' an Avengers movie. The difference is, Marvel is tyin' all their movies together, with character crossovers & such, while DC's plan seems to be to make seperate movies for their characters & then throwin' 'em together & callin' it Justice League.
Old June 23 2011, 06:00 AM   #277
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I admit I wondered why Hal was allowed to keep the ring and power battery even after quitting the Corps. Wouldn't they think it was too dangerous to let him run loose on Earth with power like that?
Old June 23 2011, 06:29 AM   #278
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In the movie it would have been the rings choice to stay of go?

Valley Forge, John Byrne addressed the fact 20 years back that to truly be a man with out fear, that you have to be fairly mentally ill, and that Hal Jordan is indefatigably a literal man with out fear.

Kyle was the one who knew great fear and could over come it, which is why Batman said that he would be a better Green Lantern than Hal Jordan ever was or would be.

This was a Kyle Movie. So much of the landscape was Hal, but the indecisiveness of the character over coming the ridiculously simple and juvinile aspects of his own manchild personality... Okay "manchild" is more Hal than Kyle, but this is a guy he couldn't admit that his life had fell apart when he was selling children's toys door to door.... Hal can excavate platnum and diamonds from the local gass giants single handedly bankrolling the JLA, but instead he sells rag dolls and dump trucks door to door like a paedophile because he's lost his job at Ferris air so spectacularly that no one else will hire him to fly.

Although in comparison it's not much of an origin to meet a smurf with a magic ring while pissed off your nut vomiting behind a bar... Sounds more like a dissociative story attached to an abuse case like in suckerpunch. But don't you just love what the Guardian said when he chose Kyle?

"You'll do."

oh.

Carol Ferris is a dude sometimes called the Predator.

I wonder if Blake would like being two villains?

Old June 23 2011, 07:29 AM   #279
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I admit I wondered why Hal was allowed to keep the ring and power battery even after quitting the Corps. Wouldn't they think it was too dangerous to let him run loose on Earth with power like that?
This is one of the inconsistencies in storytelling that I didnt like. I'm guessing Hal didn't officially quit the GLC because he got to hold onto the ring and the battery. He just went back to Earth pretending like nothing happened and then played Mr. Hero when the occasion called for it.
Old June 23 2011, 08:01 AM   #280
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Maybe it's just like the army more so than the police force, and you can't quit willynilly.

So rather than not taking the ring back, what the powers that be really hadn't actually gotten around to doing is sinking Hal into an Isocell dungeon on Oa for the rest of his life for Desertion.

Y'all remember the Draft right?

Old June 23 2011, 08:03 AM   #281
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I just assumed it was because the Guardians knew Hal would eventually come around; he just needed a little more time to think about it is all.

Probably would have been nice if that was explained a little though.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 09:52 AM   #282
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Ring selection is handled by "Mogo" the scentient planet Green Lantern who is probably as old as the Guardians or older.

Although if you go by the purely anyone without fear vetting, then you have (the 80s) John Stewart's abusive testimonial that the reason the wasn't the first Green Lantern rather than whitey was a matter of "70 miles".

Seriously.

He was super pissed.

Old June 23 2011, 11:13 PM   #283
Valley Forge
Lieutenant Commander

Hi GG,

Agreed. This WAS a Kyle story.

It was also why I enjoyed his GL so much.

Just an ordinary cat, put in a spot, and HAD to step up. There was no else.

Kyle's knowledge of great fear is what made him able to overcome Parallax, and for the same reason is why Hal succumbed to it. (at least how I understand it...as always, the cannon is subject to change).

Besides, who am I to argue with Batman?

Vf
Valley Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 12:47 AM   #284
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Valley Forge wrote: View Post
Just an ordinary cat, put in a spot, and HAD to step up. There was no else.
A top-level test pilot... yeah, those guys are real run-of-the-mill, unexceptional gents.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 01:07 AM   #285
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Ring selection is handled by "Mogo" the scentient planet
About that...