Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 12 2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile
Big Bang Theory, yes or no?

So what do you guys think of the TV series "The Big Bang Theory"? Are they painting us in a favorable light or mocking us? Personally, I think it's really funny...in a good way.
Old January 12 2012, 04:20 AM   #2
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Re: Big Bang Theory, yes or no?

They're poking fun to us geeks but not in any way that is offensive. More humorous and enjoyable. At the same time, they are paying homage to the many things we love like Battlestar Galactica, time machines, and Star Trek concepts. And the geek characters on the show, though they appear like stereotypes, have some depth to them. Some of them undergo a level of growth as people in the series.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 04:33 AM   #3
propita
Rear Admiral

Love the show! Have all seasons.

Classmates at law school told me I was the only person they knew who understood most of what the guys were saying. Not the theories, of course, but at least identifying the scientific subjects. And of course almost all of the SF references.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I like it. Funny and the characters are similar to people I know ( even the guy in my mirror). Of course they go a bit broad at times, because it is a comedy and most comedies do that with their characters.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 04:38 AM   #5
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Just another dumb sitcom. It's okay for 2-3 episodes, and then you notice the repetitive and forced humour in each and every episode. Fantastic cast though.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 04:47 AM   #6
stonester1
Rear Admiral

No. Watch stuff written by, say, Judd Appatow, Kevin Smith or the movie "Free Enterprise", if you want good, "nerd friendly" humor. They clearly have affection for their subject, because they ARE their subject.

I don't get that vibe from BBT.

No matter how they pad it, it still comes across as "Look, NURDZ, HUH HUH."

Besides, it's Chuck Lorre. Creator of "Two and a Half Men".

Hack.
Old January 12 2012, 05:25 AM   #7
BlackFire3
Lieutenant Commander

i don't have a problem with it, and i really do enjoy it. i get a bit of a kick on how the mathematics you see written in the background is actually real. or at least tied to what their talking about when they reference said writings.
BlackFire3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Skywalker
Admiral

I've been watching through it recently and I find it pretty funny. Sheldon is hilarious, but I'd never be able to stand more than five minutes if I were to meet him (or someone like him) in real life.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 05:48 AM   #9
the G-man
Commodore

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Just another dumb sitcom. It's okay for 2-3 episodes, and then you notice the repetitive and forced humour in each and every episode. Fantastic cast though.
I'm the G-man and I approve this message.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

No.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 05:55 AM   #11
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

I do enjoy it. But haven't watched much of the latest season, as I'll wait until the DVD is released later in the year, and enjoy all of it then.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I've been watching through it recently and I find it pretty funny. Sheldon is hilarious, but I'd never be able to stand more than five minutes if I were to meet him (or someone like him) in real life.
In real life all the other nerds on the show would beat Sheldon's face into hamburger meat.

IMO the show is damn funny. I watch just three sitcoms and Big Bang is the best if the three. Obviously there's some nerds on the writing staff because they get so much right (though exaggerated as it's a sitcom not real life)..
Old January 12 2012, 06:07 AM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I've known a Sheldon or two (and even a few Wolowitzes) and managed not to beat them to a pulp. I'm more of a Leonard, myself. Though I went through a Raj like stage.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 06:08 AM   #14
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I don't watch it regularly, since I'm not a fan of sit-coms in general, but I do really like what I've seen. I've seen hubby's friends do EXACTLY what Sheldon does at the comic store, heard hubby himself use the same arguments that Sheldon does,, and have listened in to hubby and his pals' conversations; it could easily pass for a script of TBBT.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 06:50 AM   #15
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I despise it. The writers seem to think that throwing in a reference to a sci-fi show somehow makes them "smart" or "hip" but it comes across as pandering. The jokes are flat, the characters even flatter and the situations contrived. I've sampled a few episodes due to how highly received it's been by sci-fi fans and I find myself hating it each and every time.