Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 30 2012, 07:59 AM   #76
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: RIZZOLI & ISLES tv series and book series disscusions and comment

A no brainer to TNT - Rizzoli and Isles renewed for 4th season
Old July 1 2012, 06:48 PM   #77
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
So true but that is tnt for you. Now next week we have a case involving isles's mother. You know the one from the picture. This could be a really good one.

And if you have not started on any of the books yet do so. They are way darker and different than show.
Yeah... I'm looking forward to meeting Maura's Mother too. One wonders if we are ever going to see the two Mothers go head to head over Maura... and which side Angela is going to come down on if there is a "fight".

As for the books, I've shied away from them since I thought I read somewhere (?) that in the books its mostly Rizzoli... vs Rizzoli and Isles.

ETA: Kudos to TNT for renewing already. Its not perfect, but it IS fun!
Old July 2 2012, 01:59 AM   #78
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

View Adm_Hawthorne's Twitter Profile

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
timothy wrote: View Post
So true but that is tnt for you. Now next week we have a case involving isles's mother. You know the one from the picture. This could be a really good one.

And if you have not started on any of the books yet do so. They are way darker and different than show.
Yeah... I'm looking forward to meeting Maura's Mother too. One wonders if we are ever going to see the two Mothers go head to head over Maura... and which side Angela is going to come down on if there is a "fight".

As for the books, I've shied away from them since I thought I read somewhere (?) that in the books its mostly Rizzoli... vs Rizzoli and Isles.

ETA: Kudos to TNT for renewing already. Its not perfect, but it IS fun!
I don't think we're going to see a fight between Hope and Constance. I do think we'll see behavioral traits between Hope and Maura that make it in-you-face obvious that Hope is Maura's biological mother. Plus, Sharon Lawrence and Sasha Alexander have an uncanny resemblance to each other.

I adore Tess. She's a sweetheart, and she's a lot of fun to talk to. I think it's interesting that she was a medical doctor before moving into novel writing, which is why the books are so accurate, but I've tried reading them. It's hard for me because t's too dark for me.

Also keep in mind the novels and books are two completely different things. The only real similarity between the two are names, professions, and genders.
Adm_Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 05:30 PM   #79
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Rizzoli & isles
bones
Dexter
True blood

All these shows which are based on book series are way different than the tv show with the exception of:

Game of thrones

They keep to the story allmost word fo word with a few shortned sceens.

I am glad that we are not taking a break this week like on usa god I hate those.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 03:03 PM   #80
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

but I've tried reading them. It's hard for me because t's too dark for me.
See, and thats why I like the TV show because its NOT too dark.

Do you ever get the idea that sometimes the TV show is like an uber XG show by someone who never understood X/G?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OWnNQTO-vc

Old July 3 2012, 05:08 PM   #81
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

but I've tried reading them. It's hard for me because t's too dark for me.
See, and thats why I like the TV show because its NOT too dark.

Do you ever get the idea that sometimes the TV show is like an uber XG show by someone who never understood X/G?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OWnNQTO-vc

Yes.

From episode 1 of the first season, I've said R&I is Xena: The Next Generation, and I've constantly said that Jane and Maura are the reincarnations of Xena and Gabby.

Oh yeah, I totally see it.
Old July 3 2012, 11:24 PM   #82
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Yes.

From episode 1 of the first season, I've said R&I is Xena: The Next Generation, and I've constantly said that Jane and Maura are the reincarnations of Xena and Gabby.

Oh yeah, I totally see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72JnPV0RQJ0

Yeah... but Xena would totally wipe the floor with Jane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y98fujDq4bw

Heck I think Jane would even have trouble handling Lucretia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Pzy...eature=related

Now Gabby & Maura? I'm not sure which one would talk the other to death first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZpQ9...eature=related

But in a fight, I know its Gabrielle I'd like by my side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATLENbBgkJg

AFTER the fight, naturally I'd prefer Dr Isles to be on first call... (That line about "when was your last bowel movement?" cracks me up EVERYTIME!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46_Dp...eature=related
Old July 6 2012, 12:21 AM   #83
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Throwing Down the Gauntlet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OAx...&feature=g-u-u

I liked the stuff with Maura's biological Mother, and I liked the way Jane and Angela tried to protect Maura. The stuff with Giovanni and Angela got quite a bit icky for me. Maybe Angela needs to tell him she's batting for the other team too, since it worked so well for Jane & Maura.

The stuff with the Nun was just too cliche for me to even laugh at.

Oh well, More Mama Martin next week... and can I guess that scene with J & M in the closet discussing leather also occurs next week????
Old July 11 2012, 03:46 PM   #84
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

The nun stuff confuses me. Why is she there? What's the point of her character?

I love, love, LOVE the Maura/Hope story line. It's a little rushed, I think, but it's just so well done. I honestly think Maura is getting the much better stories this season than Jane, and I'm okay with that.

Next week is when Jane gets kidnapped by a stalker, so no closet scene. We do have a lot of subtext, though.
Old July 12 2012, 12:41 AM   #85
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Adm_Hawthorne wrote: View Post
The nun stuff confuses me. Why is she there? What's the point of her character?
Nuns, Catholic Boston, "I never met a cliche I didn't love" attitude from the writers? At least we have a hint that the Nun is in the homicide dept due to her recent history, and not just because she was bored back at the convent after she retired. Still, the silly stuff with Frankie & Frost just makes me cringe.

I love, love, LOVE the Maura/Hope story line. It's a little rushed, I think, but it's just so well done. I honestly think Maura is getting the much better stories this season than Jane, and I'm okay with that.
The writers are hampered (blessed?) by the abbreviated seasons on TNT. Fewer eps = Must move storyline along faster than network TV.

I'm liking the storyline too, but I have a few questions. Why the heck did Mama Hope EVER tell her teenaged daughter about Paddy Doyle? Why admit that "evil man" fathered a child with her, much less that the child died?

Since Hope obviously did spill the beans, I'm glad the teen was at least curious enough about Paddy (or Maura???) that she searched the internet, found the connection, and figured out Maura was the long lost sister the teen would NEVER measure up against.

I also liked that the kid GUESSED and faked Maura into admitting she was the mysterious kidney donor AND that she refused the kidney. OF COURSE the long lost sister that Kayleen (?) would NEVER measure up against would try to be a superhero and save the uncertain Teen... that would just make Maura even more saintly in Hope's eyes. I like the idea that the kid would resent Maura so much that she'd refuse to have a part of Maura within her body for the rest of her life. (it may sound incredibly short sighted, but at least the kid has integrity in her misery.)

What surprised me (pleasantly?) was Hope's attempt to show Kayleen in a very visceral way that in a tug of war between the two, Hope would take Kayleen's side.

I don't know what upset Hope the most. Finding out Maura was her long dead daughter, or LOSING Maura as a friend/confidant in lonely Boston.

Next week is when Jane gets kidnapped by a stalker, so no closet scene. We do have a lot of subtext, though.
I think that spoiler about discussing leather in a closet full of it was half wrong. Maura gave us the lecture, but there was nary a closet in sight.

I did like the Jane/Maura interactions this week, especially finding Jane has planted INSTANT coffee in Maura's gourmand kitchen.

Now... just one question about Angela this week. Just WHO do you think she was dressing up for at work? Maybe a certain Homicide Captain?
Old July 12 2012, 09:05 PM   #86
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

The cliches are starting to wear thin on me, honestly. I mean, there was no indication that the Rizzoli children went to a Catholic school. Why would assume they had? Oh, wait, it's because they're Italian and Catholic, that's why?

That's silly and wrong on so many different levels.

I was a little offput that Dr. Hope Martin couldn't take one look at her biological daughter and not see the genetic markers there to show that she and Maura would in some way related. Add to that Maura's name is, well, Maura, she lives in Boston, and every major city paper and news channel ran the story about Maura being Paddy's biological daughter, and I'm REALLY offput that Hope herself didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I was so proud of Maura's half sister for figuring it out. I was like, "Thank you! Someone's got their head out of their ass."

That said, I felt the reaction from both Hope and her sick daughter were actually spot on, very real given the very odd set of circumstances involved. That part of the writing was very well done.

Angela is likely dressing up for Korsak. Remember how crestfallen she was when Korsak's ex came looking for cash and support. "I could do yoga..." she says in a very hurt voice. I'm pretty sure Korsangela is going to happen.

Speaking of, do you love Frostie as much as I do. Frost and Frankie as so cute together! I just want them to get married, buy a brownstone, and have cute little gay babies together.
Old July 12 2012, 10:42 PM   #87
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

The cliches are starting to wear thin on me, honestly.
Agreed. I prefer it when the writer surprises me.

I was so proud of Maura's half sister for figuring it out. I was like, "Thank you! Someone's got their head out of their ass."

That said, I felt the reaction from both Hope and her sick daughter were actually spot on, very real given the very odd set of circumstances involved. That part of the writing was very well done.
Agreed!

Angela is likely dressing up for Korsak. Remember how crestfallen she was when Korsak's ex came looking for cash and support. "I could do yoga..." she says in a very hurt voice. I'm pretty sure Korsangela is going to happen.
Good point, but then it makes the jokes re: Korsak being involved with Jane just so icky!

Speaking of, do you love Frostie as much as I do. Frost and Frankie as so cute together! I just want them to get married, buy a brownstone, and have cute little gay babies together.
I really like them, but I also recall fondly the FBI agent (Frost's ex) from last year... so I see them more as best buds.

So... any guesses on who has kidnapped Rizzoli THIS time? I hope it's not another Hoyt apprentice.

Hey, what's up with your new avatar? Is Jane running for congress?
Old July 13 2012, 07:40 PM   #88
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

A stalker takes Jane hostage and has her handcuffed to a bed for most of the episode, but, as far as I know, Hoyt isn't involved in any way. (But it would be cool if he'd set that up prior to his death, wouldn't it?)

My avatar? I changed it in honor of the Rizzoli & Isles convention on the 20th.
Old July 13 2012, 09:10 PM   #89
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

And here I thought it was Rizzoli for CONgress!

Where's the con?
Old July 13 2012, 10:29 PM   #90
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

And here I thought it was Rizzoli for CONgress!

Where's the con?
It's in Anaheim, CA in a week. www.rizzlescon.net

Not too shabby, but really a good place to meet up with other fans, and Tess will be there, which is just great. I love her, I really do. She's an awesome person and very gracious with her fanbase.