RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,742
Posts: 5,215,706
Members: 24,212
Currently online: 796
Newest member: pusykattdoll

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 2 2011, 10:42 PM   #1
TheNatureRoy
Lieutenant
 
Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...the-works.html

Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz are writing the script.

I'm guessing this will be more in the spirit of the book than Paul Verhoeven's movie.
TheNatureRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

It's not really a reboot so much as a new adaptation of the book.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 11:31 PM   #3
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
It's not really a reboot so much as a new adaptation of the book.
Exactly!


I liked the original movie but I will give this new adaptation a viewing.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

I love those writers!!!! I'm officially excited. They write military sci-fi action really, really well.
__________________

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 12:11 AM   #5
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

TheNatureRoy wrote: View Post
I'm guessing this will be more in the spirit of the book than Paul Verhoeven's movie.
Possibly. Alternately, the writers could soften Heinlein's message - a film that's generally pro-military without making service equalling citizenship and all that rot.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

TheNatureRoy wrote: View Post
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...the-works.html

Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz are writing the script.

I'm guessing this will be more in the spirit of the book than Paul Verhoeven's movie.
All Paul Verhoeven did was show the natural outcome of granting political rights exclusively to veterans: the creation of a military dictatorship.
__________________
Emperor Palpatine did nothing wrong
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 12:45 AM   #7
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

TheNatureRoy wrote: View Post
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...the-works.html

Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz are writing the script.

I'm guessing this will be more in the spirit of the book than Paul Verhoeven's movie.
I hope this is a much closer-to-the-book adaptation this time around. I mean if you're not going to work from the source material, just go make up your own damned stories.
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 01:58 AM   #8
scnj
Captain
 
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

I very much consider the original to be in my top ten, if not top five, films of all time. So this had better be spectacular.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 03:00 AM   #9
Dan_theNerd
Ensign
 
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
All Paul Verhoeven did was show the natural outcome of granting political rights exclusively to veterans: the creation of a military dictatorship.
Keyword here: veteran.

If you actually read Heinlein's work, you'll see that the Starship Troopers system strictly forbids current and active soldiers/sailors/etc from voting and running for political office. Only veterans.

For the record, as a fan of the book ST, I just want to say to anyone that thinks Verhoeven's movie was accurate and true to Heinlein's book and vision - you are sorely mistaken. Verhoeven took a philosophy and piece of speculative literature and completely perverted it into a left-wing hippie gunfight sexfest. With bad dialogue.

Still, a fun movie though.
Dan_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 03:01 AM   #10
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
It's not really a reboot so much as a new adaptation of the book.
Exactly!
Presactly
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 03:29 AM   #11
TheNatureRoy
Lieutenant
 
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
It's not really a reboot so much as a new adaptation of the book.
Yeah, kinda like the Spider-Man & Superman reboots...

Reboot, remake, fresh take, whatever... Semantics. In any event, it could be cool.
TheNatureRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 03:30 AM   #12
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

Another Willie Wonka remake here? America should be shot for being so stupid to waste so much money when people are starving on main st., USA. Greed is good. I forgot. That guy should be boiled in oil. Fool me once. It certainly is never gonna be as good. Do we need a different take on man vrs. intelligant giant bug? Seems to me it's been done, especially when there's so many other things that deserve to get done and aren't.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 03:35 AM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

Dan_theNerd wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
All Paul Verhoeven did was show the natural outcome of granting political rights exclusively to veterans: the creation of a military dictatorship.
Keyword here: veteran.

If you actually read Heinlein's work, you'll see that the Starship Troopers system strictly forbids current and active soldiers/sailors/etc from voting and running for political office. Only veterans.
And it should also be noted that the general population is not lacking in RIGHTS. Look at Rico's family, for example; they seemed fairly well off. Veterans may be the only ones who can actually vote, but the entire population - civilian and citizen alike - enjoys the full protection of the law.
__________________
Taysiders in Space. In amungst ye!

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 03:37 AM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

I'd like to see a Starship Troopers TV series. But a movie I can take or leave.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Dan_theNerd wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
All Paul Verhoeven did was show the natural outcome of granting political rights exclusively to veterans: the creation of a military dictatorship.
Keyword here: veteran.

If you actually read Heinlein's work, you'll see that the Starship Troopers system strictly forbids current and active soldiers/sailors/etc from voting and running for political office. Only veterans.
And it should also be noted that the general population is not lacking in RIGHTS. Look at Rico's family, for example; they seemed fairly well off. Veterans may be the only ones who can actually vote, but the entire population - civilian and citizen alike - enjoys the full protection of the law.
I wouldn't trust any society, no matter how well-meaning, to safeguard people's rights. People have to safeguard their own rights. If they cannot vote, they will lose their rights sooner or later (even if they can vote, they better keep their wits' about them!)

However, if military service is so widespread that everyone knows a veteran among their friends and family, that might mitigate unfairness. The real problems stem from a whole segment of society being disenfranchised, with nobody to look out for them.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 03:46 AM   #15
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Sony rebooting Starship Troopers

^^ In the book, everyone is eligible to serve so one chooses to be disenfranchised by not serving.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.