Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 1 2011, 05:48 AM   #91
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: JD's Comic Book Thread

Last Son is one of the best ongoing Superman stories there is. I just wish it was a little more developed.
Old August 1 2011, 06:14 AM   #92
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I finished Legends in Exile earlier today, and I loved it just as much, if not maybe a little more, than BYO.
Was the "pompous" and "holier-than-thou" lion in the flashback in #4 supposed to be Aslan from The Chronicles of Narnia?
Yes. You see his fur in a later issue worn by
Old August 2 2011, 04:17 PM   #93
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Ok, I read all of Batman: Year One, earlier this evening and I loved it. I can definitely see why it is considered such a classic.
YES.

I have no idea where my copy is. That or Man of Steel, actually.

JD, maybe you know, since you've been reading more recent comics than I have, and I can guarantee Admiral Young knows, because he reads every comic, is the New Krypton stuff a few years back any good? I understand it got a mixed reception, but it sort of seems up my alley.
I'm in the process of reading it right now. So far, I've been enjoying it. The story is quite brisk, which was a but of a (pleasant) surprise to me. However, there is a conspiracy subplot to it which I thought I was going to enjoy, but it kinda drags as much of it is pure exposition.
I read the first volume and a half at the library just now. The art varies from competent to pretty yucky. I actually skipped over about half the first volume because it's about Jimmy Olsen tracking down some loser with a bad costume and the worst name in the history of superhero comics. Maybe that was important, but I doubt it.

When New Krypton finally comes into play, it's pretty neat, although to be honest, everyone has so far comes off as really poor strategists--on the human side, there's General Sam "let's send two guys with kryptonite hearts into New Krypton, they'll probably manage to kill ten or twenty of them and really piss the living sun gods off. If it worked for al-Qaeda, it'll work for us!" Lane, and on the Kryptonian side, you have unnecessarily violent and provocative commando raids to sieze prisoners whom, if anyone had thought of it, the U.S. government would probably beg to be permitted to extradite to New Krypton, given how they probably have a combined body count of several million and are basically impossible for human means to hold.

The best scene of what I've read was Sam Lane shooting Lex Luthor in the shoulder because, smartest man on the planet or not, Lex has only ever been around people who don't react with violence when he's an asshole. It's pretty hilarious.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 01:20 AM   #94
JD
Admiral

When does Jack of Fables split off from Fables? I'm hoping to get back into comics soon, and I was just wondering how long it is before Jack leaves.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 01:37 AM   #95
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

After Jack in Hollywood.
Old September 27 2011, 02:25 AM   #96
JD
Admiral

What about the first Cinderella miniseries? I got that a couple months ago when Comixology had a DC Eisner winner sale. I got it since it was cheap, but I planned on reading it in order. #77 is the latest issue available for the main series right now.
Old September 28 2011, 01:51 AM   #97
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I love the Bendis Avengers franchise. It does get too talky sometimes, and his particular "everyone talks the same way" style does annoy me, but he tells some really huge big event stories.
I agree. Bendis dared to do something different with the Avengers, and that's the only thing that made it palatable to me, although there always those who cry "blasphemy!".

I had been out of comics for about 10 years when Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run brought me back to the comic store, and this was right around the same time that New Avengers debuted. Joss Whedon got me back into the Comic Book Store, but it was Bendis that got me back into the larger Marvel Universe.

When I saw NA #1 with Spider-Man and Wolverine on the cover, it got my attention. When I thumbed through it, if I had seen just another variation on the same old theme, I would have put it back down, but it was a different take on the concept.

I liked that Spidey was becoming an Avenger, a move that I thought was waaaaaay overdue (I am, however, indifferent about Wolvie being an Avenger). It was an honor that the character deserved on a dozen different levels. I liked that it wasn't the same old crew hanging at the mansion being served tea by Jarvis and waiting for the UN to call.

And while his isn't the best Avengers run ever (That would be Roger Stern's run), you have to admit that Bendis successfully turned the Avengers into Marvel's number 1 franchise. If, ten years ago, someone had told me that one day I would be buying more Avengers books than X-Men and Spider-Man combined, I would have laughed at them. And yet, here we are.
Old September 28 2011, 03:24 AM   #98
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

What about the first Cinderella miniseries? I got that a couple months ago when Comixology had a DC Eisner winner sale. I got it since it was cheap, but I planned on reading it in order. #77 is the latest issue available for the main series right now.
Cinderella is sometime after the fall of the Empire.
Old April 26 2012, 05:20 PM   #99
JD
Admiral

I bought and started Batman: The Killing Joke yesterday, and I so far I am really enjoying, but do I have one issue with it. I really don't care for the treatment of Barbara Gordon. I went into this knowing she got shot, and since I am really interested in her character that was actually one of the reasons I've been wanting to read this. But I am rather disappointed with the fact that she really seems to be nothing more than a means to screw with her father, and it hasn't done much with the actual effect this has had on her. Other that that I am really enjoying it, the rest of the writing and art are really good. This is my first Alan Moore story, and I think I am starting to see why he is so highly respected in the comic community. I do have one question though, did The Joker rape Barbara? That is certainly the impression I've been given by what I've read so far.
Are there any stories that deal with Barbara's creation of the Oracle identity?
Old April 26 2012, 09:04 PM   #100
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I've had the did he rape her so many times.

A phase I've used more than once is "He didn't enjoy raping her."

The Joker doesn't (didn't? Fuck you new 52.) seem to be a sexual being.

Gordon wasn't being screwed with.

He was being educated about good manners.

The joker just took offence to being called a whack job, or crazy or...

"Any one can be me, all you need is just one bad day."

Barbara wasn't completely the same woman after the Killing Joke.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 04:34 AM   #101
JD
Admiral

I started reading the first Ultimate Spider-Man trade, Power and Responsibility today. I've already been rather surprised that Osborn seems to suspect something will happen to Peter as soon as he heard he got bitten. So, does Gwen ever get introduced in the Ultimate Universe or is it pretty much just MJ?
Old July 13 2012, 11:58 AM   #102
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yes.

Old September 14 2012, 01:14 AM   #103
JD
Admiral

I just got some spending money for my Birthday yesterday, and I'm considering starting the avengers list you guys gave me. But, Comixology only has the Captain America & The Falcon, Iron Man, and Avengers issues of the Disassembled arc. Would I be OK with just those, or would I be better off just skipping ahead to either Secret War or the first New Avengers (Digital) TPB.
Old September 14 2012, 01:30 AM   #104
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

As long as you read Avengers 500, the rest of the cross overs are ass, which is why it was all closed down.

Old September 14 2012, 02:36 AM   #105
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I just got some spending money for my Birthday yesterday, and I'm considering starting the avengers list you guys gave me. But, Comixology only has the Captain America & The Falcon, Iron Man, and Avengers issues of the Disassembled arc. Would I be OK with just those, or would I be better off just skipping ahead to either Secret War or the first New Avengers (Digital) TPB.
Avengers Disassembled in the Avengers proper and Secret War are both kind of important for NA.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote