JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^
    It was in a CSN(Comic Shop News) article, those little newspapers your LCS puts in your hold box. Then when I flipped through Spawn #250 the end of it said that it continues in Spawn Resurrection #1.

If I follow what you're saying, you're saying there will be two Spawn titles?
    A Spawn #251 with a story, not Al Simmons and Spawn Resurrection #1 with Al?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I believe that's the case yes.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

4. Captain Craig

Cool news!!

5. Savage Dragon

I've been picking up more Valiant stuff of late and damn if they are not entertaining books. The Valiant is quite good even if I don't know all the Characters. I just read Divinity #1 and it was a bit to get through. I think I'll need to give it another read just to make sense of it.

6. Captain Craig

I'm also a big fan of what VALIANT puts out.
    The VALIANT has been a great read, I concur.
    Divinity #1 was a solid set up book but I do agree the last 1/3 of it opens up a lot of questions that I think are going to play out over the next 4 issues. I feel like the lecture scenes talking of space/time a big part of the coming explanation.
    Ivar, Timewalker was a fun #1 issue as well, looking forward to the rest of the opening arc!
    RAI---pure sci/fi futuristic fun

7. Savage Dragon

I liked Ivar as well. I haven't read issue two yet but I will probably do so this evening.

After reading The Valiant #3 I am very curious about the new Bloodshot series about to be launched.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So where which of the recent origin stories for Dr. Strange is better, JMS's Strange, or Dr. Strange: Season One?

9. Savage Dragon

I just finished reading Cluster #2 from Boom! Studios and I am really digging it. Interesting story with great art and colouring. It is definitely on my pull list now.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot to mention that a week or two ago, I got the digital version of first trade for Mark Millar's run on Fantastic Four, and the digital trade of Green Arrow: Year One. This will be my first experiences with the comic versions of the characters.

11. Savage Dragon

I just finished reading Nameless #2. It's a very interesting story overall but I really find Grant Morrison's writing is like trying to read a post from our very own Guy Gardner. He can be hard to interpret.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I loved Millar's run on FF though the ending was very anti-climactic.

I've long suspected Guy Gardner is actually Grant Morrison. Their dialogue is all but identical! :wtf:

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Green Arrow: Year One is very good. Millar's FF much like most of the pre-Hickman and post-Waid FF misses the point of the characters.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read Spawn #250 tonight...found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Will be checking out "Spawn: Resurrection" as well.

Yeah Hickman just GOT the characters. He really understood the potential of the Fantastic Four and what he could do with them by pushing that concept to places it hadn't been in years IMO.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really loved Hickman's FF, but it suffers from the same problem as his Avengers run. Brilliant writing and stories, but he makes all the characters so cold and intellectual it robs them of any sense of fun that they would have under another writer. Just compare the difference in Avengers dialogue between Bendis and Hickman... there's shockingly little consistency between the two.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^And it works because you know Reed is on the surface cold and intellectual.

1) Are you aware there is no consistency in dialogue or even in terms of character between Bendis or Johns or Busiek? Each writer has his own style of doing and writing things. I hardly think it's a major issue that Hickman isn't Bendis.

2) That is mostly because most writers don't write Bendis-speak.

His biggest problems imo in regards to Avengers and New Avengers at least is his abuse of decompression. Things that could take place in one issue are stretched out to five. Likewise stories that should have been subplots at best are given entire issues. It seems at least imo a lot of Avengers is just plain filler. The difference is notable once the timejump occurs the main Avengers book improves remarkably. And thematically he is prone to repeating the same stuff and having his characters repeating the same dialogue: his version of Bendis-speak.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

yes I've noticed Hickman's love of repetition. It's a little pretentious and annoying. I like Bendis though I'm not a fan of "Bendis-speak", I just think it's hilarious how two consecutive runs are written completely different from each other.

And Bendis is the real culprit of decompression. :lol: At least in a Hickman book it FEELS like something happened :lol:

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'It's over, finished!' is awesome. whereas Bendis-speak will go something like...

did you get the thing?
    the thing?
    yes, the thing.
    uh...
    you didn't get the thing?
    i was supposed to get a thing?
    you were supposed to get the thing.
    i didn't get the thing.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"You-you forgot to include the parenthesis. The parentheses. (Sometimes people speak aloud in parentheses)."