Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 15 2014, 11:29 PM   #271
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: JD's Comic Book Thread

I needed to keep track of stuff so that I wouldn't buy the same comic 12 times at a cost of 6 dollars each every 3 months or so again and again.

The ongoing memory of not having a comic, of having this massive whole in your collection, the disenchantment and depression and longing is an epoch compared to the minor flutter of actually finding that which you've spent the last ten years being adamantly determined to find and acquire (affordably).

I needed my list with me.

It was a decade before tablets, and laptops were really expensive... You can't beat pen and paper.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 04:15 AM   #272
JD
Admiral

I have all of my comics recorded on Goodreads along with my other books. Even when I have individual issues, I still use the trade entry as a way to save space.
Old May 21 2014, 03:01 AM   #273
JD
Admiral

I finished up Volume 3 of The New 52 Wonder Woman yesterday.
My review:
The big shifts in the story that took place in the last issue lead to some great new situations, and some funny scenes in this collection. This one also introduced an interesting new villain. I look forward to seeing what kind of an impact he has on the series if/when he comes back. This one also saw some pretty big developments in one of the series arcs that has been going on since the beginning, that I am very happy about. They have managed to bring about a lot of shifts in the story and changes in characters' loyalty in a manner that makes sense. Some stories seem to have trouble doing things like this in a manner that makes sense, but here everything feels very organic and true to what has come before. The characterizations in the series continue to be really good. This one also introduced a preexisting character into the series, who is a nice addition to the cast. The art in the series continues to be outstanding.
My rating: 5/5
Is The First Born a completely new character?
Old May 21 2014, 03:44 AM   #274
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Yes. Though I would argue he is Wonder Woman's Bane/Doomsday.
Old May 21 2014, 03:55 AM   #275
Mr Light
Admiral

Didn't they already do that a few years ago in a Gail Simone storyline?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 05:05 AM   #276
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If you don't remember it clearly, then it's not a legend.

Bane was a shitty story, but that moment where he snapped the Bat's back.

Epic.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 12:25 PM   #277
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yep. The First Born is an original character...and I think it's very much safe to say that he is meant to be Diana's arch-nemesis in the manner that House of UIster mentions. Especially since he's managed to dismantle the pantheon so much.

I just love everything about Azzy and Chiang's run. They're going to be sorely missed.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 05:32 AM   #278
JD
Admiral

Which issue will be last?
Have we heard yet how much of a reboot/retcon we're gonna get when the new writer and artist take over?
I just found out Brian Azzarello wrote 100 Bullets. That's been on my to-read list for a while now, but learning this has definitely moved it up a few places.
Old May 23 2014, 06:55 AM   #279
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Which issue will be last?
We don't know yet though I believe it's probably #36.

Have we heard yet how much of a reboot/retcon we're gonna get when the new writer and artist take over?
This is the bad news. The current rumor is that the next writer is Meredith Finch, the wife of artist David Finch. She has had only one writing credit to her name and reportedly she only got the job because her husband demanded it. Given DC's previous experience with these first time writers, you probably shouldn't bother wasting your money on it then and the subsequent is going to be a complete catastrophe.

However if that rumor is false then I think the chances of Charles Soule, the writer for Superman/Wonder Woman and Swamp Thing getting the job is high. If it is him he'll probably even spent more time exploring Diana's godhood and being the newest incarnation of War. Of course there are other possible candidates including Cullen Bunn and Jeff Parker.
Old May 23 2014, 04:50 PM   #280
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Let's hope it goes that way then. I've been enjoying Superman/Wonder Woman and I Diana being the God of War now.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2014, 04:09 AM   #281
JD
Admiral

Hopefully it'll be Soule then. Since Hermes and Zola are on the cover of Superman/WW #1 does that mean that Soule is actually using stuff from the solo WW series in SM/WW?
Old May 25 2014, 06:13 AM   #282
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

That was just a spread the cast of characters from both Wonder Woman and Superman. Soule is mainly using the Olympians such as Apollo and Strife from Azzarello's run. He has also created another exile from Themyscira as a sort of confidant for her. But the book is mainly an attempt at shipping.
Old June 7 2014, 12:35 AM   #283
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Last issue he had Diana exercising her status as the God of War to get soldiers to be more compliant. It was pretty cool.

In other news, I just finished reading all 17 issues of Clone. I have it say I am really enjoying it. It's a cllaborative writing effort by three TV writers and it shows. It really feels like it could be a TV show. I'd like to see it get the HBO treatment but it might be a little hard what with all the clones of the same person running around.
Old June 8 2014, 05:33 AM   #284
JD
Admiral

Two words, Orphan and Black.
Old June 8 2014, 10:50 PM   #285
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Ah. Never watched it.