Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 20 2011, 04:11 PM   #16
Angstromdweller
Lieutenant

Re: New podcast devoted to Trek lit

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I'm interested in your show, but I'm more interested in an audio-version I can have on in the background while doing other things.
^This. And it would be nice if it's available through itunes.
Old June 20 2011, 04:12 PM   #17
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Defcon wrote: View Post
All I could think during the Sisko discussion was that Teri will absolutely hate the Sisko portions of Rough Beasts of Empire if she hasn't already read it.
Just listened to the recording, and she has read it, must have missed that due to the lags.

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Sorry, I was a bit confused initially. (Maybe I still am)

So this isn't really a podcast, but a Vlog.

I was looking around for an .mp3 download link for 5 minutes and still haven't found one, if it exists.

I'm interested in your show, but I'm more interested in an audio-version I can have on in the background while doing other things.

Again, if I missed the download link, and just haven't seen the right links, please let me know. It's not extremely clear where your show is located and which video is the Show for the week.
There doesn't seem to be a audio only version, but you won't miss to much if you only listen to the audio. It's basically just the STO in-game characters of the hosts and some viewers.

Angstromdweller wrote: View Post
And it would be nice if it's available through itunes.
For what's it worth: I had a short conversation with their techguy yesterday via Twitter and he mentioned that he'll change recording techniques so it will be easier to upload it to itunes and youtube, so I guess future episodes will be on itunes. *shrug*
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 04:42 PM   #18
Nick M
Lieutenant

View Nick M's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Nick M

To add to what Defcon said, I knkow our webmaster/guru is working so it will be available on iTunes and YouTube.

The way it works is instead of just our voices, we thought it would be fun to have our characters from STO on screen, and we will be hosting from different locations, such as Vulcan, Andor, Risa...and I am pretty sure when we do our broadcast from the Vegas convention we will be in Quarks.

But I totally agree about the audio only option, and it is something we are working on.

For Defcon, I like the idea of the "roll call" after the bio break. One of the things that is so fun with this is (for those who play STO) that others can come and visit the "set" as we broadcast. There is someone building an actual talk show set for us in STO, I am pulling for a Merv Griffin type setting. LOL

I am glad you go to hear Teri's views regarding Sisko in Rough Beasts of Empire, I called her while I was reading the book and told her she HAD to read it considering how her and I have this endless debate about Sisko. LOL She is reading Paths of Disharmony right now, and we will have a very spirited discussion about that this week.

One thing we also will discuss is the ebooks and ereaders, as the impact is a big one and there are many Trek lit that are ebook specific. We are already mapping next week's episode, as well as how to handle when I am gone on a Sunday due to my Army Reserve duties.

I honestly cannot tell you how gratifying it is that there is interest in our show, and to let you all know we are working to refine the show so we stay far more Trek lit focused. But I think the Trek univerese is so vast there are some topics that cross from TV to film to books, and the joy is we can weave it all in.

The show is really just people who love Trek, especially n print, and us hanging out as two friends (three if you count "Fred" - and I do love that little joke we have with his name) discussing our passion.

Thanks to all who listen and hope to listen when we get some of the tech issues ironed out.

All the best!
Nick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 02:39 PM   #19
Nick M
Lieutenant

Hello everyone!

Jolan Tru and hope you are doing well. Just a reminder that Sunday morning is the second episode of The G and T Show! You can hear us at: http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms - we go on the air at 9 am EST/6 am PST (1400 GMT).
  • This week discussions will include:
  • Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward
  • ebooks and ereaders (and Trek lit on them)
  • The character Beverly Crusher (Teri is very fired up about this after reading PoD!)
  • and more!
If everything works out well we will also have a nice surprise on the show.

Hope those that joined last week will be back, and some new people join us as well.

Have a great day!
Old June 25 2011, 04:56 PM   #20
TimClarkeJr
Cadet

View TimClarkeJr's Twitter Profile

Looking forward to checking it out again, Nick, good luck! (And no broadcast from Shore Leave? Come on!)
TimClarkeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 01:38 AM   #21
Technobuilder
Commodore

I'd like to suggest that you try to follow through on all your topics and not get sidetracked as much. On the last show, I'd get interested in a discussion about one thing and then you'd start talking about the dancing avatars and such.

Looking forward to tomorrow's show. Keep it up.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 07:56 AM   #22
Yevetha
Commodore

I ask the same question, is there a download link?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 06:30 PM   #23
Reanok
Commodore

Could you please consider posting transcripts of your interview programs for those people who can't download or play your videos those of us who can't get them to play at all would really appreciate it thank you.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 09:28 PM   #24
Nick M
Lieutenant

Hello all,

The second week of The G and T Show is in the books, and I hope (minus the tech issues we had) it was a tighter show for you to listen to. We admittedly got sidetracked a few times, but sidetracked as to talking about more writing in Trek, now dancing avatars. :-)

This week we covered:

• A review of the STO Foundry mission Return to Terra Nova from a writing standpoint (and we did discuss the Enterprise episode it is based on and the writing of that episode)

• A discussion about S&S and their social media, that Pocket Books doesn't even register (meaning they have no Twitter stream for PB or it is so sparely followed)

• Teri went to the comic con in Albuquerque, NM and spoke with Marina Sirtis, and Marina wanting a grassroots campaign as voice of computer in the new JJ film

• Guinan (a short discussion about how I felt that character was well written)

• ebooks/eReaders and Trek on them

• the character of Dr. Crusher, whom Teri just does not like and how the way she was written in TNG has caused the authors to write her character in the novels. This led to a discussion of Dr. Pulaski and then Captain Jellico, a character I love, and how Will Riker was NOT served well in the writing of Chains of Command. There was "discussion" with those who were in the chat room who (as people usually do) think the Picard style is better. Yes it was a kind of sidetrack, but the feedback on this segment in particular was very positive.

• We review and discuss Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward.

To reply to a few comments/questions:

Reanok: the show was about 3 1/2 hours both weeks, so a transcript is not really feasible for us. This week's is going up on YouTube and iTunes, so I am hoping those who wish to listen will go to one of those sources. I will post here when they are up there and the link.

Tim Clarke, Jr.: Oh yes, I will be set up and doing a show from Shore Leave, and hoping we can get an author or two to sit with me and join us live.

Dayton Ward was supposed to join us this week, but was unable, and that's cool. I will be interviewing him at Shore Leave. Several of the authors are now hooked up with me on Skype, and you never know when one will drop in!

I did read and try very hard to incorporate the feedback and constructive criticism we received, and hope it was a good listen. We are striving for the best show we can do, that is entertaining and also informative and looking at thing from the writing standpoint. We do talk about the episodes and STO writing, not just the books, but I think the Trek universe is large enough that we can incorporate all that.

Please keep in mind, this is my first podcast, and we ironing out the tech issues. I still think having the livestream is a fin idea from STO, as we visited our new "studio" this week, as well as the STO planet Defera and finally broadcast from the K-7 Lounge on Space Station K-7.

Looking forward to your feedback, and hope you continue on this journey with us. As soon as the links are up for this episode, I will post them here.

All the best.

Last edited by Nick M; June 27 2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old June 26 2011, 09:47 PM   #25
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Missed about 3/4 of an hour in the middle, as I had to leave just when you started to talk about the Starfleet Academy books and didn't return until after a bio break when you started to talk about Crusher and Jellico I think. The part I missed isn't covered by what is available on the livestream site so I guess I have to wait till it's up on youtube/itunes.

• This episode was much better regarding the flow of the show
  • It's funny that everyone was complaining about the lag, whereas it was much better for me this week. There were lags, but not nearly as bad as last week.
  • Not sure yet what to think about the STO mission reviews. This one was O.K., since I knew the episode it was referring to, not sure if a review about a mission that doesn't have a connection to something I know will be able to hold my interest, I guess we'll find out in the future.
  • While the flow was much better, you really don't have to hold back on acknowledging people "on the set" so hard. It was pretty obvious sometimes that you wanted to do that, but then held back. As long as it doesn't happen every few minutes it's O.K., it's your show after all and you should have fun.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 03:49 AM   #26
Nick M
Lieutenant

The Sunday G and T Show, Episode 2

Here it is with the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMo7V...ature=youtu.be
Old June 27 2011, 04:00 AM   #27
Technobuilder
Commodore

Thanks for the link. I've been eager to check this out after a long and busy day.

I'll give some feedback once I finish the show.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 07:05 PM   #28
Nick M
Lieutenant

Jolan Tru,

We have had over 100 views from the June 26 episode of The G and T Show! If you are one who listened to all or some on YouTube, thank you!

We already have a few items for next week, will announce the winner of our avatar/logo contest, and will have a new segment that will get the listener involved - not in the chat room, but regarding Trek lit!

Thanks again to all of you for the support, and please keep the feedback coming, we only get better with input from you all.

All the best.
Old July 3 2011, 03:52 AM   #29
Nick M
Lieutenant

G and T Show to discuss the Bring Back Janeway debate

Jolan Tru,

Yes, this week has been an eye opener in some respects, and we will be discussing:

• The start of The G&T Show book club – so our listeners can join us in a deeper discussion
  • Announcement of Avatar/logo winners
  • Rewatch: “Siege of AR-558” discussion of the writing many have called the most "un-Trek" episode
  • Children of the Storm review
  • Bring Back Janeway debate
  • Crusher – yes, her again, but how the writers underserved her in a big way

I hope you can join us, we start at 9 a.m. EST/6 a.m. PST/1400 GMT at http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms
Old July 6 2011, 12:45 AM   #30
KQuita
Lieutenant

Any idea when the show will be available for subscription on I tunes? The topics sound great, but the only times I would be able to view/listen would be during times when I only have my IPad going. Thanks Bob
KQuita is offline   Reply With Quote