RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,943
Posts: 5,479,295
Members: 25,056
Currently online: 608
Newest member: JeremiahJT

TrekToday headlines

USS Enterprise Press-Out And Build Manual
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

New QMx USS Reliant Model
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Star Trek Thirty-Five Years On 35MM: A Retrospective
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 28 2011, 02:54 AM   #1
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
You must read this book

I just finished this book (Ready Player One by Ernest Cline) and I can't think of a better group of people who would enjoy this book more than you, my fellow Trek Literature fans.

I mentioned this in the "What are you reading now" thread but I really wanted to make sure everyone was made aware of this book because I really think pretty much everyone here would love the book as much as I did.

Anyway, here's the review. Please post back here with the review or shoot me an message if you end up reading it, I'd love to hear your feedback. It's a 2-3 sitting book to read.......not a very long book (about 400 pages) and just flies by before you know it.

Review

What a blast! This book isn't Shakespeare or Tolkien but is rather like a well done summer block-buster pop-corn flick where you pump your fist when the good guys win.

The book's set in the not too distant dystopian (and not all that unbelievable) future and revolves around one person's quest to win the holy grail of his life and times and is largely set in a futuristic MMO type of environment where the action is really fast paced and very cool for the most part.

I won't dive into any more details because the book's story is best read unspoiled, but the book moves fast, if filled with lots of action, really inventive ideas, a few twists and a ton of geek references from the late 70's through the early 2000's. Basically, if you're 20 or older and any sort of Sci-fi or fantasy or MMO type of geek you're going to love the book. If you're 30 and older, this book is a must read. That being said, I think anyone could read and enjoy the book even without getting some of the geeky references. It's a bit similar to a Harry Potter adventure though it's written more for adults.

I won't say the book is "perfect" as it's not entirely unpredictable in places and it didn't blow my mind or anything and the writer appears to be one of those militant atheists who seems to think anyone who doesn't share his view to one the universe's oldest questions is a moron, but that's only a distraction in a couple of spots. Most of the time he keeps his preaching to a minimum.

All in all, this is one of the most fun adventure-type-puzzle-type quest books I've read since Harry Potter 4 and can't wait for Cline to write a follow up to. Highly recommended to all.
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

Last edited by label; August 28 2011 at 03:06 AM.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Ultramann
Lieutenant
 
Re: You must read this book

And the name of this book is?
__________________
Religion binds the people and enslaved them to ignorance. True faith in the Lord sets them free.
Ultramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2011, 03:07 AM   #3
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: You must read this book

Ultramann wrote: View Post
And the name of this book is?
Wow, guess I was a little to excited there and forgot the main point.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...ady-player-one
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: You must read this book

Nope, I don't need to read this. Thanks for the suggestion though.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2011, 05:42 PM   #5
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: You must read this book

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Nope, I don't need to read this. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Actually, now that you say it, I don't know how well some of this book would translate for those who didn't grow up in America......a lot of the references I enjoyed in the book were definitely American, though obviously some were shared by all worldwide.

That being said, even without getting all the references, it's a book that can definitely be enjoyed on it's own merits....it'd be kind of like reading Harry Potter 4 without reading 1-3........you'd still enjoy and get the book just fine, you'd just miss a reference here and there.
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2011, 05:05 PM   #6
JRoss
Captain
 
JRoss's Avatar
 
Location: Stain'd-by-the-Sea
Re: You must read this book

Did you have fun plugging your book?
__________________
Thunderegg Productions, a new indie publisher of RPG supplements
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2011, 06:24 PM   #7
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: You must read this book

JRoss wrote: View Post
Did you have fun plugging your book?
Dude, what are you smoking? (And can I have some because that's some messed up stuff). Do you actually think *I* wrote this book? Seriously? And that I'm pimping it on a lowly TrekbBBS of all places (that I've been a member of for over a decade - I'm sure there are dozen's who've been around long enough to know me and that I'm not "Ernest Cline") when it's been advertised all over the major media sites as it is?? That's quite the foo-barred imagination you got there..........

As much as I would love to take credit for writing it, that's never been an interest (or talent) of mine.........I'm too busy reading other's people's stuff to write my own.

I *thought* that this being a Sci-Fi, literature community there *might* be interest in a cool new Sci-Fi book. It's really that simple. If it turns out that there is anyone who ends up enjoying the book, I'm happy to have turned people on to it.......people on this forum have turned me on to several books I've enjoyed.........that is, after all, the entire point of a community like this......to talk about books you're reading and introduce new books that people with similar interests might benefit from.

If you're not interested, who cares? I've read the book, I loved it, I think if people here give the book a shot, they'd love it too. However, if they don't read it, aren't open to suggestions or new things, or their to-do list is so set in stone that they're inflexible or just end up reading it and don't like it for some reason, I've already read the book and enjoyed the crap out of it so no skin of my nose either way......I've since moved on to reading "The Old man and the Wasteland"....(which I didn't write either).....I'm just trying to contribute to the community here....it's something you might want to try once in a while yourself.
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2011, 10:10 PM   #8
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: You must read this book

Your enthusiam for this has made me very curious. I haven't looked it up on B&N yet, but I probably will in the near future.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2011, 10:35 PM   #9
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: You must read this book

JD wrote: View Post
Your enthusiam for this has made me very curious. I haven't looked it up on B&N yet, but I probably will in the near future.
Cool. Let me know what you think. I don't think it's "the best book ever" or anything, but I had more fun with it than any other since The Hunger Games trilogy (also a flawed, but very fun series)
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 12:54 AM   #10
Idran
Commander
 
Re: You must read this book

label wrote: View Post
Dude, what are you smoking? (And can I have some because that's some messed up stuff). Do you actually think *I* wrote this book? Seriously? And that I'm pimping it on a lowly TrekbBBS of all places (that I've been a member of for over a decade - I'm sure there are dozen's who've been around long enough to know me and that I'm not "Ernest Cline") when it's been advertised all over the major media sites as it is?? That's quite the foo-barred imagination you got there..........
Don't you know, label? The only reason anyone would ever make a thread for a book is if they wrote it themselves. :O

(Seriously, that's a bit rude of an assumption, JRoss.)
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 01:49 AM   #11
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: You must read this book

Idran wrote: View Post
Don't you know, label? The only reason anyone would ever make a thread for a book is if they wrote it themselves. :O
I sincerely wish I were capable of writing such a book. I can't think of very many things I think would be cooler to do for a living than writing Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

As it is, however, I'm content to sticking with writing software for banks. Not nearly as interesting I'm afraid, but it does pay the bills.
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 02:23 AM   #12
Idran
Commander
 
Re: You must read this book

label wrote: View Post
Idran wrote: View Post
Don't you know, label? The only reason anyone would ever make a thread for a book is if they wrote it themselves. :O
I sincerely wish I were capable of writing such a book. I can't think of very many things I think would be cooler to do for a living than writing Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

As it is, however, I'm content to sticking with writing software for banks. Not nearly as interesting I'm afraid, but it does pay the bills.
See, what you do is you use variable names and comments to weave a story throughout your software. Best of both worlds!
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 01:03 PM   #13
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: You must read this book

Idran wrote: View Post
See, what you do is you use variable names and comments to weave a story throughout your software. Best of both worlds!
I try and do that fairly often though there are a few stick in the mud's at work that don't like to have anything funny in our code base. For instance, I was catching an exception, doing something with it and then throwing it back up the stack and so I wrote code like this:

try
{
Do.Something();
}
catch(Exception up)
{
ExceptionLogger.Log(Up);
throw up;
}

All so I could have the words "throw up" be valid code. I do also try and be creative with my comments and variable names, but we do have coding standards that most of the time I have to adhere to. When it comes to naming stuff in our unit tests however...........

I know......this entire thread is entirely too geeky.
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 05:00 PM   #14
bfollowell
Commander
 
bfollowell's Avatar
 
Location: Evansville, IN, USA
Re: You must read this book

label wrote: View Post
Ultramann wrote: View Post
And the name of this book is?
Wow, guess I was a little to excited there and forgot the main point.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...ady-player-one
I don't know if I'll read this one or not but you did get me interested enough that I looked into a little further. I also noticed that my local library has this one available as an ebook so I may try it on my Kindle in a month or two, whenever Amazon & Overdrive get the whole library ebooks on the Kindle thing working.

If no one has heard, there was a bidding war for the publishing rights and the day after Mr. Cline sold the publishing rights, he sold the film rights to Warner Bros. with Cline attached to write the screenplay.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 05:47 PM   #15
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: You must read this book

bfollowell wrote: View Post
If no one has heard, there was a bidding war for the publishing rights and the day after Mr. Cline sold the publishing rights, he sold the film rights to Warner Bros. with Cline attached to write the screenplay.
Yeah, one of the first things I thought of when I finished it was how it would make an awesome movie that could easily be on par with how cool the Matrix was when it first came out just because of how the action takes place...........especially the final battle scene......it'd challenge any mammoth Star Wars battle scenes for epic coolness.....
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

Last edited by label; August 30 2011 at 06:05 PM.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.