Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 24 2012, 01:07 AM   #376
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Reverend wrote: View Post
Wow. They *really* don't want this to go f2p. Why else cripple the gameplay experience like this? They may as well just admit defeat and shut down the servers if this is going to be their attitude.
I'd support this idea if SOE brought the SWG servers back up.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 01:30 AM   #377
O'Dib
Commodore

As I said (Tl;Dr?) I'm pretty sure FTP is meant to get unjaded complete MMO n00bs (like I was before SWTOR) to try the game, upon which they get hooked on story and switch to subscription just so they could more freely (ironic, huh?) enjoy other aspects of the game as well. Also, the cartel market seems to be a cash sink for subscribers who don't wanna wait for CCs to accumulate before they can get cool shit. Or an alternative to spending buttloads of in-game currency, by letting you unlock so much legacy shit with just a few buck here and there.
Old October 24 2012, 02:05 AM   #378
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^In order to hook new people in with the story, they must first provide an enjoyable gameplay experience. If the gameplay is hobbled and the ability to have any kind of meaningful interaction with other players (rather important in any MMO) roped off then people will get fed up *very* quickly and they most likely won't be dropping any cash on this in the hopes that it might get better.

I can't help but get the impression that this is a very very resentful and mean spirited transition to f2p. It's almost like they hired the Grinch to supervise it or something.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 02:11 AM   #379
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

EDIT: Was replying to O'Dib

^Maybe you're right, but you would think Bioware would put at least some focus on trying to entice back the million plus people who bought the game and quit. Not all of those people are jaded MMO vultures. Many liked the game but not enough to consistently sub. These draconian quality of life restrictions are going to drive them off as soon as they re-download the client.

As for the story being able to hook people...I'm not convinced. I've been playing Bioware games since NWN1 and frankly thought the SWTOR stories were mediocre. They aren't bad like DA2, but they aren't great either. It doesn't help that the class stories only account for a small fraction of the 1-50 experience. The rest is just traditional MMO fetch/kill quests with voice over.
Briquettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 04:10 AM   #380
O'Dib
Commodore

Briquettes wrote: View Post
^Maybe you're right, but you would think Bioware would put at least some focus on trying to entice back the million plus people who bought the game and quit. Not all of those people are jaded MMO vultures. Many liked the game but not enough to consistently sub. These draconian quality of life restrictions are going to drive them off as soon as they re-download the client.
If FTP attracts enough n00bs, many of the quitters who wanted super busy servers might resub just for that.

As for the story being able to hook people...I'm not convinced. I've been playing Bioware games since NWN1 and frankly thought the SWTOR stories were mediocre. They aren't bad like DA2, but they aren't great either. It doesn't help that the class stories only account for a small fraction of the 1-50 experience. The rest is just traditional MMO fetch/kill quests with voice over.
I dunno, my first toon was a Marauder. Notwithstanding my n00bness (because of which I wasn't even aware of all those things they're now restricting for FTPs) & the learning curve, the class story had me major hooked start to finish. The slog didn't matter, made it all seem epic, difficult, a hard-won victory. I imagine the HK droid, SGR, reintroduction of the option to kill off companions, stuff that's sorta been ready from the get-go, but they're holding off on for some reason? All of that may be more reasons for resubs.

Now, if someone wanted just stories, but 0 slog, they can buy the major XP boosts, using which they might be able to blow through the game pretty much just doing class. Dunno how much of a boost it is or what it'll cost, but they must be thinking, let's at least get our money's worth in one single burst from all those folks who wanted this to be KOTOR 3. By charging a total of $60 (what any other full length single-player game would be these days) to blow through a toon doing only class, they get 4 months of sub for each toon, or nearly 3 years of sub to do all the classes. Around 500 bucks total, which some Star Wars nerds who hate MMOs might be willing to dish out, or will over time, w/o noticing.
Old October 26 2012, 03:45 PM   #381
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Briquettes wrote: View Post
Soooo...the cash shop has hit the PTS for testing.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...locks-and-more

If you didn't already have a problem with the FTP structure, get a load of this. FTP players will have to pay to:

Equip and use items gained during world events
Customize companion appearance
Unlock quickbars
Display titles earned through game play
Display legacy name
Hide head slot
Unify colors

Fuck off, EA. I'm not paying to toggle my goddamn helmet.

Its fine as far as i am concerned.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 05:36 PM   #382
sojourner
Admiral

Former paid subscribers will get "preferred player status":
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...eferred-status
Old October 26 2012, 10:18 PM   #383
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

^That's encouraging...but I'm still pissed about the head slot. I'm going to try to stay optimistic that the majority of the QOL restrictions will be account-wide unlocks. Honestly, I think I may be able to tolerate the FTP system if they are.

Interestingly enough, all this talk of SWTOR (and the fact that I've been getting bored with STO and LOTRO) motivated me to re-sub a few days ago. To my surprise I'm actually having a lot of fun. The bugs are worse than when I left, though, and the animation lag is absurd. Also, it turns out that my server got merged and I lost two character names.
Old October 27 2012, 04:25 AM   #384
sojourner
Admiral

^Yeah, funny thing that. another server got merged into mine, but I'm the one that lost 2 names. I am guessing there was some kind of preference for high level characters to take precedence in who gets the name.
Old October 30 2012, 01:02 PM   #385
Jeyl
Commodore

Has same-sex relationships been incorporated yet?
Jeyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:59 PM   #386
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Won't be long now.

I guess Disney is the iceberg.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 11:10 PM   #387
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

^That would be an incredibly stupid business move. EA runs the game, LA just licenses the Star Wars IP and periodically collects fees. There's no logical reason for Disney to pull the license which is essentially free money for them.
Old October 31 2012, 12:35 PM   #388
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

When does it go free? I got a birthday coming up.

Last edited by Drago-Kazov; October 31 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old October 31 2012, 10:57 PM   #389
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

Nothing concrete, but Bioware has said it will happen some time in November.
Old November 1 2012, 10:13 AM   #390
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

They should tell us in the friday update if there will be one.