Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 24 2012, 11:59 PM   #331
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

O'Dib wrote: View Post
...Sure, you don't exactly own the game in the sense you can boot it up months later and redo a storyline (given the time commitment, why would you want to?), but hey, pop in another $15, and behold, yet another story set in the same timeline, just with less saber action!
You say that like it's a good thing. The time limit and the necessity of paying extra if I want to play the game a few months down the line is *exactly* what I don't like. Not everyone can afford to keep spending money like that, nor would everyone want to keep playing the same game for a solid month just to make sure they get as much value for money as possible.

Let's be realistic for a second. This is very much a single player game masquerading as an MMO. The main plot concerns only your own PC, most of your character interactions are with your companions and from a plot POV, having a friend tag along in your story phases adds *nothing*.

Indeed, from what I can tell, the only value in grouping is that it allows you to deal with tougher than than usual enemies (and more of them at once.) Since the toughness of the enemies is just down to their basic stats being fiddled with by the dev to create high reward grinding, it's an entierly artificial motivator...which, to be fair I suppose, sums up most MMOs in general.

Also, once the novelty wears off, the group conversation system isn't nearly as immersive as it first appears. You're basically rolling a dice to see who gets to speak. Then there's the fact that the NPCs you talk to in this mode speak as if there's only one of you. Neither the NPC nor the PC dialoge even acknowledges that there's another person standing right next to them.

It would have been a bit better if there was more interaction. Say for example if one PC picks a LS response while the other picks the diametrically opposite DS response then they *both* voice and argue their positions and it's the dice roll decided who wins said argument. If they both pick the same one then the higher score chimes in first with the other(s) assenting, or just make their neutral/snarky comment last. As it stands it just feels very shallow.

If you play it for the PVP then I still don't see the value. Last I checked, MP games, or SP games with MP modes don't require you to pay to play (not yet at least!) You buy the game and either get free access to pub servers, pay for a private one or start your own. Sure, pub servers aren't always conducive to the best gaming environment, but the option is there and realistically, it's the one most gamers opt for.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 12:03 AM   #332
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
^I installed it on my laptop instead.

Honestly, I still can't figure out why it's BSODing my desktop machine. They're both running XP and the only difference I can think of is my GPU. But what's really confusing is that I've actually been able to get KOTOR2 to work on my desktop PC. You'd think they'd either both have a problem, or not at all.
Considering SWToR was made using a diffent game engine then KoTOR 2; no, I'm not surprised one would run fine and the 'newer' SWToR would not. That said, I'd need to know your laptop's CPU, GPU and motherboard and GPU memory; as well as the version of GPU drivers you're running currently.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 02:18 AM   #333
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^They looked so similar, I guess I just assumed they both used the same engine. Indeed, the only real difference I noticed was in the style of the GUI.

Regardless, the only relevant variable would be my desktop PC's graphics drivers. As I said already, it worked fine on that machine just a few months ago and the nvidia drivers are the only thing that changed in the interim. No clue which version it was running back then, but it's on 295.73 now (and asking to be updated again.)
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 05:47 PM   #334
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Anyone else notice that they merged several servers. My server just more than doubled in population.
Old June 21 2012, 09:21 PM   #335
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Character transfers from and to select servers started a week or so ago.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 09:52 PM   #336
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I took a week vacation, I must have missed the great migration.
Old June 21 2012, 10:55 PM   #337
O'Dib
Commodore

I transferred all my toons from Namadii Corridor to the Harbinger. I would've considered staying but most everyone else had left, and PVP was just not happening, at all. Turns out they dumped a bunch of low-pop servers into that one, though it had a decent enough population to begin with. Now it has wait-times on booting, which I was hoping to avoid when getting into a low-pop to begin with.
Old June 23 2012, 09:24 PM   #338
O'Dib
Commodore

1.3's landing Tuesday morning, the 26th. Social gear that adapts to your class, the ability to purchase augment slots for everything, and a new group finder tool that will help eliminate any productive chatter on the fleets are some of the features it boasts.

The sound of bounty huntresses fapping to themselves in imperial dancer outfits has just grown exponentially.
Old June 23 2012, 10:55 PM   #339
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I'm thinking about re-rolling on Harbinger and just starting from scratch. Mine was the only west coast server to get moved to an east coast one and I've been experiencing the occasional latency jump.

About 90% of the time, things are okay. The average jumped from about 30-40ms to 100-110. It's not great, but the reality the difference is hardly noticeable. But the last few days I've been experiencing some serious spikes. Last night, about half-way through a VS match it jumped to over 400ms. A half a second is just unplayable in any pvp.

The other thing is, these days being on a pvp server pretty much just means pvp. I still haven't experienced half the content yet, but finding a group for anything is becoming increasingly difficult. The finder will probably help some, but if people are simply not interested in the first place, it really won't matter.

I'd hate to do it. Starting completely over just sucks. And Jung Ma is actually doing organized world pvp events that look a lot of fun, but if I'm having latency issues, I won't be able to participate anyways.
Old June 25 2012, 06:29 PM   #340
Whizzer
Lieutenant Commander

Well I have good latency to my new server (Red Eclipse) but still lag spikes.
I would point at a severe overcrowding of the server for that.
There were 60 people in my Explosive Conflict instance, and another 40 in instance two.
My guild died a lot at Kephess HM, just because we got server lag at times where movement or quick actions were mandatory to survive.
I hope Bioware gets their server load under control, OPs are far less fun if its like this
Old June 27 2012, 12:19 AM   #341
O'Dib
Commodore

So 1.3 is out. Haven't tested the social gear adaptability yet, and haven't really been doing social anything to prepare, anyway. Used to be only my light-armor toons i'd group-grind bt or the pub equivalent on. And that mostly just so I could find a decent pair of pants. After color-coordination came in, the color of a pair you could get at a given social level kinda stopped mattering.

As far as group-finder, I have no idea what the concept is here. You get placed in queue for just one specific flashpoint, regardless of level (my lv 44 got offered foundry, which is a 37, ergo i get 0 xp from it), in order to gain some extra comms that correspond to whatever planet you should currently be questing on. Broadcasting the desire to do a specific flashpoint doesn't seem part of its functionality.

They've messed about with pvp a bit. AOEs colored to correspond to friendlies/enemies make sense, cause in same-faction you never knew if you could walk through any of them. It's more difficult for defenders on voidstar to run between the first set of doors now. And relics useable only for PVE kinda pissed me off.

I'm liking the new augment thingy.
Old June 28 2012, 12:53 AM   #342
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

The group finder is completely useless for Heroics.

Just about every heroic on every planet is phase locked. Yet it still queues with everyone in your planet who is looking for a heroic group where, more than likely you or the others are not eligible for one of the heroics in question.

Such a huge oversight.

And this completely ignores the fact that just about every H4 can be completed with four DPS and one healer or 2 DPS, Healer, and Tank comp. Yet the finder is locked into putting you into a 1/2/1 group.
Old July 31 2012, 09:00 AM   #343
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I wanna play for free bu how can i prevent the game from tansfering all the patches to C where i don't have enough space?

i already downloaded a large chunk and i don't know how to delete it.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 09:30 PM   #344
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ea-exp...190900648.html

It's official: SWTOR is going free to play. Personally, I think this is great. I only subbed for a month because I didn't think the game was worth a recurring $15.00/month. I will, however, gladly throw a few bucks here and there into a cash shop for it.

EDIT: Not only is Bioware starting cash shop stipends now for current subscribers, but they will be giving retroactive stipends for months subbed before July 31. That's pretty cool and I think unprecedented.

http://www.swtor.com/free
Briquettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 11:31 PM   #345
Jax
Admiral

I am surprised its going free to play so early the numbers may be down but still the profits are healthy for EA/Bioware. I would of thought keep going till they release an expansion of sort in 2013 which would boost numbers for a while and then look at free to play.