New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 14 2011, 08:41 AM   #46
Snaploud
Admiral

Re: What Hath Netflix Wrought?!

I'm surprised they let it go this long. I guess nobody at Netflix works during weekends.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 08:48 AM   #47
Snaploud
Admiral

Not a good sign:

Netflix's Vice President of Corporate Communications, Steve Swasey said, “Most of [the comments] have the same theme, which is ‘what was wrong with it before?’ What we’re saying is we’ve tested this extensively, we know the vast, vast majority of people like this. It’s new, it’s easier, it’s cleaner.” He also went on to state that they were "absolutely" keeping the new interface. "We made it and tested it and researched it and tried it out and everywhere we tried it, it had a better reception. Otherwise we wouldn’t have made the change.”
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 09:21 AM   #48
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ Yep. Talk about foot-in-mouth! You don't go around openly telling your customers that they're wrong, and that they don't know what they like. It's just bad business.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 06:23 PM   #49
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Not a good sign:

Netflix's Vice President of Corporate Communications, Steve Swasey said, “Most of [the comments] have the same theme, which is ‘what was wrong with it before?’ What we’re saying is we’ve tested this extensively, we know the vast, vast majority of people like this. It’s new, it’s easier, it’s cleaner.” He also went on to state that they were "absolutely" keeping the new interface. "We made it and tested it and researched it and tried it out and everywhere we tried it, it had a better reception. Otherwise we wouldn’t have made the change.”
Ahh, the old clueless, people like the change response! It may be cleaner, but it's not easier. In fact, most people would likely say it's harder to use because the information isn't immediately available to the eyes. Perhaps they should do some more research and find out why people dislike the change. In other words, it's one way of saying they won't change back because they've spent too much money on this design. I wonder if any of the people who've tested it complained about usability.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 06:52 PM   #50
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

^Well, I'm sure they did. But he also says that the "vast majority" of their test subject liked it. I'm not a big fan of the new interface, but I think it's an overstatement to say that Netflix didn't do significant usability and user testing. The question may be, "did they test the right things?" Steve Swasey could also use a little help in the "communication" department.
Old June 14 2011, 07:48 PM   #51
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well, maybe so. But I think the importance of usability in web design is rather understated in general these days. Just seeing that page for instance is enough to tell me that they dropped a big heavy ball on their toes, bigtime. I think a better question would be, that yes, it's cleaner, but is that necessarily a good thing? If it removes key usability features that people rely on to make the site work, I don't see that as a good thing. It's rather a bad thing to have people struggle with something and get frustrated as it's more likely people will stop using a service. Also as far as test subjects go, we don't know how many people got to test it and it might be a small number also told to test specific things, or people that just tend to go with the flow and put up with it.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; June 14 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 08:14 PM   #52
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I see a future for mom-and-pop video stores if Netflix screws up big.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 09:04 PM   #53
Guartho
Rear Admiral

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 10:50 PM   #54
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity, I just tried doing one of those turn-the-three-cards things for suggestions. All of them bad. Hmm, I guess there's a reason I ignore Netflix's suggestions. Mostly they suggest movies I already know about and don't interest me.
Okay, I'm really curious now, what is this three card thing you speak of? I want to do it!
I see that every so often, not sure why it happens or on what schedule. It's like three card monte! It gives you three blank cards supposedly based on whatever movie you returned most recently and you turn them over by clicking them to see the recommendations, which I never find useful.

This place is a better source of movie news, by far.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 02:32 AM   #55
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Guartho wrote: View Post
Perfect!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 02:58 AM   #56
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Hehe. Anyone wanna guess if this redesign was done by the same people that screwed up Gawker Media's websites?

Thank god Gawker finally gave the option for "blog view" (like the old layout). I would be curious to see statistics as to how many people use the sites in blog view as opposed to the new site format.
Old June 15 2011, 03:51 AM   #57
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

I'm not certain what kind of focus group would think it's a good idea to remove sorting options... I used to be able to see the movies in a list format and sort by date or rating or what have you. Unless I'm missing something, I can't do that anymore and it's obnoxious.
Old June 15 2011, 07:13 PM   #58
Data Holmes
Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
I'm not certain what kind of focus group would think it's a good idea to remove sorting options... I used to be able to see the movies in a list format and sort by date or rating or what have you. Unless I'm missing something, I can't do that anymore and it's obnoxious.
I've seen some places on the web saying that less than 10% of users used that ability on the site, and that part of this redisign was removing unused and under used features to simplify the site's database.
Old June 15 2011, 07:35 PM   #59
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

laaaaaame
Old June 15 2011, 08:42 PM   #60
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Guartho wrote: View Post
Perfect!
I don't see a problem with this. After all, we know that two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.