Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 1 2011, 09:55 PM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: A New Modern Trek Animated Series

The temporal reset button can un-destroy Vulcan and Romulus both. But since there was no dramatic payoff to Romulus' offscreen destruction, that's another good reason to decanonize it. I have no investment in something I was merely told about in dialogue, but I gotta say, Vulcan went out spectacularly and that should could for something.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 12:36 AM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

The physical existence of the planet Vulcan plays little part on the Star Trek future universe, the same can not be said for the planet Romulus.

If we can somehow talk our way around the idea that there are only ten thousand Vulcan left in the entire Federation (stupid line), then the Vulcans can continue to be both major players and also (somehow) members of the federation council.

Perhaps the large body of Vulcan established colonies with their collective populations of hundreds of millions could continue to hold Vulcan's seat on the council.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 07:05 AM   #33
JaxsBrokenHeart
Lieutenant

I really thought it would have been intriguing to have a series set in the time after DS 9 and Voyager with a technically non-Starfleet crew as the focus for the first time, and the focus is largely on the shaky future following the Dominion War.

Taking place on an experimental political vessel with representatives/crew members from the various powers in the Alpha Quadrant (Klingon Empire, Cardassian Union, Romulan Star Empire, Bajoran Government, Federation, Dominion, Tzenkethi) working together sometimes in the Alpha Quadrant, but mostly missions in the unexplored sectors of the Beta Quadrant.

Animation would seem the easiest way to go.
JaxsBrokenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 04:25 PM   #34
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

If TPTB where smart, they would do both.

Make a nuTrek show for the tweens, and make an animated post-24th century Trek show for the old fans.

Hell, even Patrick Stewart could do an occasional episode. He does lots of voice work.

The potential stories, the ability to bring back a lot of alumni, and the ability to cost-effectively give the old fans something of what they miss... it just makes sense. Animation is just way cheaper than live action on every front, and it gives the advantage of real life aging not coming into play.

Hell, I could even imagine Shatner or Nimoy guest starring.

Voice work is so easy compared to physical acting, and it pays well on a time-effort comparison.

They could do so, so, so much.

Hell, tie it in with Star Trek Online, I don't care. Give us a 2409 show, show us some old friends and bring in some new. Admiral Riker, Ambassador Picard, Captain Harry Kim, blah blah blah.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 06:25 PM   #35
Ninjacore
Commander

Todays tweens are like mini adults, they are having sex just as much as adults, thats for sure atleast, I think shows directed for tweens to watch are gonna go out of date due to the increasingly early "adulthood" of modern american children...
Ninjacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 03:39 AM   #36
Ultramann
Lieutenant

Shame that adulthood is now defined by having sex and popping out babies instead of being a true productive member of society.
Old July 23 2011, 10:27 AM   #37
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Yeah, it was never like that in the past.

For example, people getting an university education and a career before starting a family. It was so common in the past centuries, and now? Almost unheard of. Such a pity.
Old July 23 2011, 11:35 AM   #38
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I sometimes wonder if most people are decent and most kids are still kids, but it's the smaller number of ones that aren't that sell magazines and are good for television ratings (and thus constantly are in our faces)...
Old July 24 2011, 11:46 PM   #39
T'Cal
Commodore

I'm all for an animated series set in the late 24th century. Let JJA handle TOS and its triumvirate on the big screen. TNG-era shows and their ensemble casts work better on TV. Rather than focus on one ship, space station, planet, etc., such an animated series should encompass the era. We would see some familiar characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY as well as New Frontiers and some original characters.

Market it to kids, teens, and adults much like Batman: TAS. That way they could sell lots of toys to kids and develop a new generation of Trekkers.
Old July 29 2011, 09:57 PM   #40
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

A thought on a Nu-Trek Animated Series.

With Vulcan destroyed, the Federation was severely weakened. Many new members that joined in the Prime Universe backed away from the UFP, whilst some current members waver as to their continued membership, resulting in a much smaller and less powerful/influential Federation and Starfleet.

In their current state, Starfleet must face off against the growing strengths of the Klingon and Romulan Empires. Though whilst the future Romulan ship has been destroyed, rumours of existing technology drift around the Quadrant, every race knowing that whoever possessed such technology would become stronger than the other major powers.

Determined to regain their former position, Starfleet tasks the U.S.S. Yorktown, under the command of Captain Pike's former Number One, with the mission to find this technology and keep the Empires from unlocking its secrets.
Old July 30 2011, 03:31 PM   #41
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The temporal reset button can un-destroy Vulcan and Romulus both. But since there was no dramatic payoff to Romulus' offscreen destruction, that's another good reason to decanonize it. I have no investment in something I was merely told about in dialogue, but I gotta say, Vulcan went out spectacularly and that should could for something.
It has yet to be explained to my satisfaction why no one tried to undo what Nero did. Where's the heroism? Where's the compassion? The Enterprise being built on the ground in a desert in Iowa twenty miles from Kirk's house didn't bother me NEARLY as much as the fact that nobody seemed to give a hot shit that billions of Vulcans died. Who ever heard of a time travel movie where the heroes don't try to undo the damage done by the time-travelling villain? It makes no sense. I have absolutely zero interest in any future Trek project to which Abrams and his team are connected.
Old July 30 2011, 04:05 PM   #42
indolover
Fleet Captain

Why not show a TNG animated series? The age of the target market IMO is irrelevant, since Trek appeals to persons of all ages. Generally most drama/high-brow/deep programmes do. As TNG, of all modern Treks, has the brand name and pop culture backing behind it, well why not? What does Paramount have to lose?

DS9 was excellent, and Voyager was good, but the chance of these being re-produced in an animated format IMO is slim (again, brand name/pop culture appeal, which neither of them have).

Another alternative could be an Abrams-universe show, and it could tie in well from the movies, but that is about it IMO (regarding possibilities of animated series). The basic key is, obviously, will people watch it. An Abrams-universe show has the advantage of the films, which thus far have sold well.

A TNG show has the advantage of a world-renowed actor actor and iconic pop culture Trek Captain as the lead, as well as being the Trek TV show most in popular consciousness. Sisko ruled, and I liked Janeway also, but bar Trek fans or people who follow sci-fi in general, do these characters have the same appeal to the average Joe?
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 08:45 PM   #43
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Python Trek wrote: View Post
It has yet to be explained to my satisfaction why no one tried to undo what Nero did.
The time travel philosophy in that movie was starkly different from the usual reset-button routine established by the TV series. It is questionable why the logic is suddenly different (no reset buttons allowed in this parallel reality?) but I'm so damn sick of the cheap out of the reset button that I was happy to ignore it.

Also, the reset-button logic hasn't been followed consistent on TV either - there are probably a dozen ways by which time travel has been depicted, yet Our Heroes have forgotten every one of them? the number of things they could be setting right stretches to infinity - so fretting about continuity is particularly useless when it comes to time travel.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 06:37 PM   #44
Kail
Commodore

I like the idea of an animated Star trek anthology series.

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 10:23 AM   #45
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Python Trek wrote: View Post
It has yet to be explained to my satisfaction why no one tried to undo what Nero did.
The time travel philosophy in that movie was starkly different from the usual reset-button routine established by the TV series. It is questionable why the logic is suddenly different (no reset buttons allowed in this parallel reality?) but I'm so damn sick of the cheap out of the reset button that I was happy to ignore it.

Also, the reset-button logic hasn't been followed consistent on TV either - there are probably a dozen ways by which time travel has been depicted, yet Our Heroes have forgotten every one of them? the number of things they could be setting right stretches to infinity - so fretting about continuity is particularly useless when it comes to time travel.
But no one TRIED to undo the damage. No one gave a fuck. That's what I was talking about, not some "reset button'.

It was a bad movie, and I found its "heroes" to be quite unimpressive. Old Spock didn't even care about the dead Vulcans, and he was from the real Trek Universe! Pitiful writing.