Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 6 2011, 11:44 PM   #1
bluemoves
Ensign

Odo-Kira Relationship

DS9 was my favorite Trek series, but I always thought the writers should have relaxed Odo's character as the years went on, especially once he started the relationship with Kira. And by relaxed I mean making his character less rigid. (Like Odo was in Children of Time.) It seems to me that his character should have grown more in that direction over the 7 years. What does everyone else think?

As it was, I found the romantic scenes between Odo and Kira awkward to watch since the writers never softened Odo's character. It always seemed like a missed opportunity on the part of the writers.
bluemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2011, 11:56 PM   #2
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Odo-Kira Relationship

I thought he did soften over time...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I still find the Odo-Kira kiss to be one of the greatest on screen kisses
Old June 7 2011, 02:00 AM   #4
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Or at least most entertaining.
Old June 7 2011, 02:10 AM   #5
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Odo did soften with time.
Old June 7 2011, 02:28 AM   #6
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Aww, I think Odo did soften over time. And I've been rewatching the series, and I'm at the point where they've just started their relationship. Kira makes a comment about how Odo always needs to point out the worst-case scenario and he says something about how that's who he is, or at least that's who everything thinks he is. Or something like that. He said it much sweeter.

The point is, he's different with her than he is with everyone else. And he's adorable.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 02:43 AM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

Given his line of work, not to mention his nature, it's not all that surprising that he'd be inclined to present a hard exterior to the world at large.
Old June 7 2011, 03:00 AM   #8
bluemoves
Ensign

I agree that he did soften a bit over time. But I thought the writers should have brought him to the point he was in Children of Time.

That said, I loved both characters. I just thought their relationship was a little uncomfortable to watch since he never seemed like the type Kira would go for. All their scenes together seemed forced. But I thought if the writers made him as "soft" as he was in Children of Time, the relationship would have seemed more credible, at least to me.
bluemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 03:47 AM   #9
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

'Children of Time' was Odo a few hundred years after Kira's loss. That he softened as much as he did to let Quark get away with a crime while he took Kira out on a date, and did it as a favor, was really quite a change from the Odo of the first couple of seasons.
Old June 7 2011, 03:49 AM   #10
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I dunno, I like the notion that we don't all have to be soft and mushy in order to have fulfilling romantic relationships. I'm actually glad they didn't change him too much, or it wouldn't have seemed natural. I think it also would have taken away from who he had been earlier. I don't like the idea that people are cynical and gruff like Odo but change once they are in love, as if they were just unhappy before or something. I know that's not what you're saying here and the writers wouldn't have intended to come across that way, but I always feel that the implication could be there.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 04:51 AM   #11
Cakemixo
Lieutenant

Given his lack of common ground (his history and nature vs most of rest of the crew) being "soft" might be very alien to him at firwt and that's why it took so long for him to soften up to any degree. I thought he was soft when he was with Kira.
Cakemixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 04:55 PM   #12
lurok
Commodore

Beautifully put, Kestra. On OP, there is a touch of awkwardness in their onscreen relationship, but I found that true to characters. Off-universe, I'm sure it must have been strange for actors to be 'romantic' when one of them partnered with another co-star. But from stuff I've read about Auberjonois and Visitor post-DS9, they apparently get on like a house on fire and have often acted together.
Old June 7 2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Yevetha
Commodore

He became different just like Quark, but you can barely notice it.

Thats the point.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 11:29 PM   #14
vas2009
Captain

I always thought that Odo did soften when it came to Kira. He was "puddy" in her hands at times.

I agree Oda/Kira kiss A+ all time Fav
Old May 3 2014, 08:44 PM   #15
milquetoast
Lieutenant Junior Grade

bluemoves wrote: View Post
DS9 was my favorite Trek series, but I always thought the writers should have relaxed Odo's character as the years went on, especially once he started the relationship with Kira. And by relaxed I mean making his character less rigid. (Like Odo was in Children of Time.) It seems to me that his character should have grown more in that direction over the 7 years. What does everyone else think?

As it was, I found the romantic scenes between Odo and Kira awkward to watch since the writers never softened Odo's character. It always seemed like a missed opportunity on the part of the writers.
- I disagree. They did soften Odo just not the point of CoT. In CoT you have to remember this character had been alive at that point for 200 years. Those experiences changed him profoundly.

Kestra wrote: View Post
The point is, he's different with her than he is with everyone else. And he's adorable.
- He blew off messing with Quark as soon as Kira calls to him in "The Sound of Her Voice". AND he let Quark get away with sumggling, and let the O'Brien leave the station for Molly.

bluemoves wrote: View Post
I just thought their relationship was a little uncomfortable to watch since he never seemed like the type Kira would go for.
- I always thought that was the point in the relationship. Especially when it came to Chimera. That the bond/love between them went beyond the physical. Which I particularly loved.

I found it particularly interesting that the writers seemed do everything to write away from it. Only to write back to it. It was a plot thread they couldn't get away with and devoted an episode to this relationship at least once a year.
milquetoast is offline   Reply With Quote