Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Should you watch...
Alien only 4 6.06%
Alien & Aliens only 42 63.64%
Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 9 13.64%
Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Ressurection 7 10.61%
Alien-AvP 2 3.03%
Alien-AvP;R 0 0%
Other? 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29 2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile
Opinions on the Alien movies

I'm a sucker for movie sets and am looking for some more films to test out my new 60 inch TV. For some time I have been considering checking out the Alien movies. I've never seen any in their entirity but have probably seen a majority of the first, a lot of the second, and a portion of the third when they aired an Alien maraton some time back. I'm aware the first two are considered classics but 3 and 4 are somewhat reviled.

I guess I'm looking for opinions whether I'll be likely to enjoy them. I'm not all that into just pure action - there's gotta be substance and some content to mull over afterward. A good soundtrack goes a long way as well. From what I saw of the first two, I think I would enjoy a few repeat viewings. I'm curious whether there are enough redeeming qualities in the other two.

One problem I identified in the 2nd film was that it seemed there may be a few too many "jar-head" military bozos who act as little more than cannon fodder. And from the brief amount I saw of the 3rd movie, it makes me wonder if I will have a hard time finding any interesting characters to connect with. If they just amount to pure slasher flicks, I'm not sure I'm that interested. And I'm not sure I want to buy a movie set for just two movies that I might enjoy. Any thoughts?
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Opinions on the Alien movies

Rent and see the first two (classic, great films); it's your duty as a geek. Then, knowing what you no doubt already know of the calamity that occurs to certain characters between the second and third films, read some reviews and decide whether or not you care to continue on. I certainly don't.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Aldo
Admiral

Even as a Whedon fan I find a hard time recommending Alien Resurrection, despite the fact that it's a very slick film with some interesting characters it never really takes off.

I do really enjoy the third flick though, I think it's far better than most people give it credit for, though I can't deny it has problems.
Old May 29 2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Auralis
Captain

1st movie is a great suspend horror styled sci-fi monster flick, pretty much the benchmark of the entire genre.
2nd movie is a damn good military horror sci-fi movie, probably the best again.
3rd movie is mostly boring doom and gloom.
4th is a nice action sci-fi movie on its own, but it is at its heart no Alien movie.
Auralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 09:33 AM   #5
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Auralis wrote: View Post
1st movie is a great suspend horror styled sci-fi monster flick, pretty much the benchmark of the entire genre.
2nd movie is a damn good military horror sci-fi movie, probably the best again.
3rd movie is mostly boring doom and gloom.
4th is a nice action sci-fi movie on its own, but it is at its heart no Alien movie.
Pretty much my opinion too although i absolutely despise the 3rd movie since it's a bad rehash of the 1st movie with different actors and a different set.

The 4th is pretty much forgettable but the 1st one is a classic and the 2nd has awesome quotable stuff.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Too Much Fun
Commodore

"Alien" is deservedly hailed as a masterpiece. A great horror/sci-fi film with an excellent cast of characters beautifully acted, each with their own distinctive and memorable looks and personalities. I especially admired the work on the Ash character played by Ian Holm. The speech he gives about the Alien is amazing. The production design, special effects, and direction of the movie are brilliant as well. It's my second favourite movie of the '70s after "Halloween".

"Aliens" is well-directed and has some effective action scenes (especially at the end when Ellen Ripley gets into this big fighting machine), but I hated all of the characters except for Ripley. I also thought they were just a bunch of dumb stereotypes.

I don't remember the third one very much, but there were moments I found entertaining. The one that stands out is one character being an arrogant, closed-minded jerk, then getting killed right in the middle of acting especially obnoxious. I love moments like that .

Like the second one, "Alien 3" has some solid direction (it is directed by David Fincher, after all), so there are chase scenes that are fun on a visceral level. I just didn't find any of the characters very memorable. At least they weren't as irritating as the stereotypes in "Aliens". I never saw the fourth Alien movie. For someone who hasn't seen the Alien movies (in their entirety), I wouldn't recommend any except the first one. I think the first two sequels are pretty dumb, although at least "Aliens" has exceptional craftsmanship from a visual standpoint.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Lonemagpie
Writer

ALIEN - excellent haunted house movie in space, with real shocks and a realistic "feel"
ALIENS - best version of Starship Troopers yet filmed. Takes things in a different route (Vietnam war movie in space meets gender/parental politics) rather than just being a retread.
ALIEN 3 - Flawed attempt to round off the Ripley trilogy. Worth seeing the alternate cut, but is really polarizing. Still, at least Fincher tried, and when you see the shit he had to cope with from the studio and producers, it's amazing how well it turned out.
ALIEN RESURRECTION - blatant cash-in that comes across as a sort of "best of" compilation...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 07:52 PM   #8
UncleRogi
Commander

Aldo wrote: View Post
Even as a Whedon fan I find a hard time recommending Alien Resurrection, despite the fact that it's a very slick film with some interesting characters it never really takes off.

I do really enjoy the third flick though, I think it's far better than most people give it credit for, though I can't deny it has problems.
The second is the best.

You're not the Devil, and I'm no angel; we are simply two minds in contention. Do what you must, but not with him [Uncle Rogi]--Atoning Unifex to newborn Fury (Julian May)
UncleRogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Elemental wrote: View Post
Opinions on the Alien movies
I hear the first two are really lame and mostly everyone hates them, while the latter two are by far the most popular; they get nothing but praise I believe.

Oh and those two AVP movies; most folk on the internet proclaim them superior to Citizen Kane in the annals of cinema
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 08:07 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

Well Alien is generally considered a classic as for Aliens depending on your view it was of those movies were it is considered to be on par(or better) than the first one. No doubt because they were different in tone as for the latter two never really cared for them myself.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Alien - Awesome
Aliens - Great
Alien 3 - Awful
Alien Resurrection - Good
Alien vs Predator - Extremely Awful
Alien vs Predator Requiem - Suck's Awful's dick
Old May 29 2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Goji
Rear Admiral

I'm not really a fan of any of them. I like the first half of the first one. It builds a nice creepy atmosphere and feels extremely, well, 'alien'. But then the adult creature shows up and starts knocking off the crew one by one, which is simply nowhere near as interesting. The Ian Holm subplot comes off as silly and there's too much of Ripley running around the ship in the dark. It's not bad for what it is... but it fails to hold my interest.

I don't really remember much of anything about "Aliens" other than I was unimpressed by it. I can't recall why so maybe it's unfair of me to judge it. But I don't really feel like watching it again, ever, so I will probably never be in a better position to do so.

The third just seemed like a mess of poor special effects and worse acting. The mildly interesting characters kept getting killed off and I couldn't care less about any of the others. I did kind of like the ending, though. It seemed like a gutsy move and I hadn't been spoiled on it, so it came as a bit of a surprise. It made me sit up and take notice after at least an hour of just wanting the movie to end, so that's something at least.

I haven't seen any of the others. It will probably stay that way.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Harvey
Admiral

The first two movies are terrific, and classics of the sf film genre. The third and fourth films have excellent casts, come from decent writers, and were both directed by excellent filmmakers. Unfortunately, neither the third or fourth film really comes together. They're worth seeing, but not worth repeated viewings unless you really like the series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 09:46 PM   #14
Warped9
Admiral

Alien and Aliens.

After that... and
Old May 29 2011, 10:34 PM   #15
the G-man
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Alien and Aliens.

After that... and
I'm the G-man and I approve this message.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote