Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 5 2011, 08:19 AM   #736
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

The leaked "Deadpool" script written by the "Zomblieland" writers did a great and hilarious job of acknowledging the Deadpool in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". I believe that the plans are to have the character be a new version, separate version from the one we saw.

It does not surprise me that execs are discussing a sequel/s prospect right now given that both Vaughn and Singer have now gone on record with their own ideas for where they would take us next. As I said though and still believe, I think we won't be getting an announcement on the future of the X-Men franchise until next year. I don't know why I think that but that's the feel I have on this situation right now. Maybe I'll be wrong and we'll get one sooner and those of us who dug this film can rejoice!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2011, 03:48 AM   #737
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

According to this article Fox is having "internal discussions" about possible sequels.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...es-discus.html

Old July 8 2011, 01:17 AM   #738
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Silly Admiral, I posted that a page ago!

Although it there really was that much secret internal sequel buzz, wouldn't there be more people talking about it? I hope so!

Looks like First Class will only be showing near me for another week or so. Its dropping down to 4 or 2 airings in only a handful of theaters. What will the total tally be, do you think?
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 01:21 AM   #739
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
Looks like First Class will only be showing near me for another week or so. Its dropping down to 4 or 2 airings in only a handful of theaters. What will the total tally be, do you think?
Going to land between $145-150m domestic it looks like, imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 01:23 AM   #740
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I must have missed it. Sorry. Like I said I think we'll get some kind of actual news on a sequel next year and concrete "X4" news as well. Right now I think they're concentrating on "The Wolverine" which they should. It still has potential to be better than the utter mess that "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" was.

Yeah the local theater here has only one late showing (9:55 pm) and I think is clearing it out next week.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; July 8 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old July 8 2011, 01:37 AM   #741
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I tease. 150 mil is decent. Certainly realistic in this market. Yes I am biased to First Class, but what if The Wolverine makes as much money as Origins Wolverine yet is as critically and fan maligned as OW? Won't that seriously undo any good refreshing strides First Class has made? Won't all the people put in the door by First Class or the folks so tired of Wolverine be put off by the franchise's arbitrarily going back to him? Why should they do so? Because they can? To fix the mistakes of Origins? Because it will feasibly make money either way? I think First Class did both correct the errors of Wolverine so to speak and did still make money.

I know everyone is hoping for an X4 and I would rather see that than another Wolverine, but the longer time goes on, I think the odds are against X4. Ages, prices. What will the economy be like then? I think there has to be some realistic too lateness with 4. That would be like saying we're going to do some post Return of the Jedi films now. Sadly, not possible- again as I would much rather have had those than Episodes I-III. They should have been 1 three hour movie and First Class should have been two films.

However, necessity is the mother of invention, so with films being forced to be more creative with less money, maybe something good can happen. Like, they write a decent story or something, that is one the cheapest yet priceless things one can come by!

I have to finish She-Ra on the Instant Watch soon and get to the X-Men cartoon. As I recall, their Dark Phoenix story was better than The Last Stand! ;p
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 02:51 AM   #742
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I don't think the odds are against "X4" at all. The fact that it continues to be in play and that Bryan Singer has stated his interest to direct another X-Men film will continue to keep it of interest at Fox. Like I said the critical success of "X-Men: First Class" I think has breathed new life into the franchise in general. Hopefully this will mean Fox will take the creative part of these films seriously and try to not piss off high profile talent who might be interested in participating in these films.

Old July 8 2011, 10:34 AM   #743
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Singer also expressed an interest in directing a sequel to Superman Returns ...
Old July 8 2011, 10:35 AM   #744
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the worldwide takings are upto US$336.4m, personally with other big hitters out now or due out. I don't think it's going to take more than about US$350m. Which I think the studio will be reasonably happy with.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 06:15 PM   #745
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I wish we would get off this "Singer expressed interest in a Superman Returns" sequel. We all know why one didn't happen. It's because freaking Warner Bros didn't want one.

We know that Singer has a different relationship at Fox now than he did before. The fact that he served as Executive Producer and was responsible for the story of "First Class" would indicate that he is still interested at some level with directing a movie. Not to mention the fact that he attempted to get out of his iron clad Warner Bros directing contact for "Jack the Giant Killer" so he could direct First Class. "Superman Returns" was a totally and utterly different situation. One that needs to stop being brought up.

Old July 8 2011, 06:20 PM   #746
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I wish we would get off this "Singer expressed interest in a Superman Returns" sequel. We all know why one didn't happen. It's because freaking Warner Bros didn't want one.

We know that Singer has a different relationship at Fox now than he did before. The fact that he served as Executive Producer and was responsible for the story of "First Class" would indicate that he is still interested at some level with directing a movie. Not to mention the fact that he attempted to get out of his iron clad Warner Bros directing contact for "Jack the Giant Killer" so he could direct First Class. "Superman Returns" was a totally and utterly different situation. One that needs to stop being brought up.
If Singer does do a Superman Returns Sequel, will he ignore XMen: The Last Stand?

I enjoyed the first two Xmen movies, and enjoyed parts of the third one. Definitely looking forward to seeing First Class when it comes out on video (I mostly stay away from Theaters, don't like the crowds and the rude moviegoers), and if it's as good as it seems to be, I'm hoping for a Sequel to it as well.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 09:06 PM   #747
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Warner Bros. flat-out said they opted not to pursue a sequel to Superman Returns because they weren't happy with the way the film "positioned" the character. I'm sure Singer wanted to direct the sequel very much. It just didn't happen.
Old July 10 2011, 08:53 PM   #748
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Warner Bros. flat-out said they opted not to pursue a sequel to Superman Returns because they weren't happy with the way the film "positioned" the character.
Meaning, they were planning on an additional $100 million that they didn't get - so bad, Superman Returns, bad.
Old July 10 2011, 10:14 PM   #749
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Are the execs happy with the critical response vs. the money made?

I mean, the movie did well, and I'm happy for that (LOVED the movie, saw it twice in theatres), but it really wasn't a blockbuster and it didn't do as well as the others financially.

And since it's always about the bottom line, does the critical response matter as much does anyone know? Is that considered when planning a sequel in the hopes that more people will see it and that this was more or less a transition movie?
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 10:24 PM   #750
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The fact that they're even discussing "sequels" right now (if we're to believe the report) makes me think they're pleased with it's performance and reception.