Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1 2011, 07:43 AM   #676
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Yes the rewritten scene (I think JacksonArcher posted an article about it in the news thread) was probably the planned astral plane battle. I don't think they were worried about it being too similar as they were being respectful to "Inception" (maybe that's naive of me to think).
Actually, the scene would have taken place when Charles, Erik and Moira stormed the Russian military retreat. In the final version of the film, Emma Frost simply tries to run away from Charles and Erik, but in one of the earlier drafts of the script, Emma brings Charles and Erik into Emma's mind, which was visualized as a brothel.

Charles and Erik fight Emma there, and Emma mentally throws Charles through a wall, and he winds up in his childhood bedroom and they tussle there. At one point, Emma throws Erik through another wall, and he's back in the concentration camp, which momentarily distracts him, while Emma continues to get the upper hand.

Charles eventually manages to mentally overcome Emma, and essentially throws Erik out of Emma's mind so he can use the bed post to break Emma's crystallized form.

Matthew Vaughn said in the trades they cut it because of the similarity to Inception, but in reality that was Vaughn's favorite scene from the script and he had to cut it because of budget restraints. He mentioned the cut scene and the Inception connection in order to actually convince 20th Century Fox to give him more money so he could reinstate the scene, but unfortunately that never happened.
Old July 1 2011, 08:52 AM   #677
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Boo, that does sound a lot cooler. Now that it has topped 320 mil with less theaters can we have that for the sequel?

I agree the period style is done just right. It doesn't look so dated 2010s doing 60s at all- not the way That 70s Show looks 70s via 90s. And there are a lot of 'hey that guy!' guys in this movie.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 08:57 AM   #678
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Thanks for clarifying JA...I always get stuff like that wrong or confused it seems.

I've been thinking about a sequel, as I stated before I'd like to see Sinister used as a villain but another possibility would be The Shadow King. We could see Charles going across the world, using Cerebro to find new mutants and he detects this demonic one with incredible telepathic powers. The film would take place in the 70's. We could possibly see him recruiting Ororo, first encountering her as a street urchin who works for the Shadow King's human form. I dunno. So many possibilities now.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 09:43 AM   #679
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Sequel! Sequel! Oh, I mean, Attica! Attica!

I found my Avatar folder again as you can see! I though I'd lost it when I transferred to my new laptop. I made one X-Men picture so far, if anyone wants this or anything else in my folders or photobucket, just let me know. I know they aren't fancy, but I'm not greedy, either. Mostly.

http://www.trekbbs.com/picture.php?a...pictureid=3104

Actually that soldier jabbing himself with the knife scene in the trailer is one that is cut from the film. Bummer.
Old July 1 2011, 01:26 PM   #680
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Yes the rewritten scene (I think JacksonArcher posted an article about it in the news thread) was probably the planned astral plane battle. I don't think they were worried about it being too similar as they were being respectful to "Inception" (maybe that's naive of me to think).
Actually, the scene would have taken place when Charles, Erik and Moira stormed the Russian military retreat. In the final version of the film, Emma Frost simply tries to run away from Charles and Erik, but in one of the earlier drafts of the script, Emma brings Charles and Erik into Emma's mind, which was visualized as a brothel.

Charles and Erik fight Emma there, and Emma mentally throws Charles through a wall, and he winds up in his childhood bedroom and they tussle there. At one point, Emma throws Erik through another wall, and he's back in the concentration camp, which momentarily distracts him, while Emma continues to get the upper hand.

Charles eventually manages to mentally overcome Emma, and essentially throws Erik out of Emma's mind so he can use the bed post to break Emma's crystallized form.

Matthew Vaughn said in the trades they cut it because of the similarity to Inception, but in reality that was Vaughn's favorite scene from the script and he had to cut it because of budget restraints. He mentioned the cut scene and the Inception connection in order to actually convince 20th Century Fox to give him more money so he could reinstate the scene, but unfortunately that never happened.
That does sound like a great scene. I thought the film could have done with showing us something new with Xaviers powers.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 04:37 PM   #681
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Emma's mind is a brothel, eh? Funny, mine is a sewer...
Old July 1 2011, 11:34 PM   #682
KB24
Fleet Captain

Actually the brothel thing could have been a lot of fun, sexy babes distracting the boys and all that like the Love Shop in Logan's Run. Maybe could have been a fun spot for more mutant cameos or something, people dreamlike morphing into other people or such.

The 90s cartoon is streaming on netflix now. My husband has somehow never seen it and started an episode. Watching those sweet credits, I was thinking that that show worked so well because it had a great team lineup and the time to make multi part storylines. I would much rather have had Jubilee and Gambit to Angel and Havok.

I like the way the cartoon credits are billed too almost like 'starring Cyclops and Wolverine, then ending with Jean Grey and Professor X.' I always thought Wolverine was better when he was having an anti hero reluctant banter or conflict with Scott over a smaller or even absent Jean. Magneto wasn't also always a factor, and sometimes they worked together. Can't wait to watch the cartoon through again when I finish my She-Ra rewatch By then the First Class dvd will be out!

I wonder what the numbers will look like this weekend? After this their theater numbers really fall off I suspect.
Old July 2 2011, 12:04 AM   #683
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
I wonder what the numbers will look like this weekend? After this their theater numbers really fall off I suspect.
It's sitting at $135.7m and I'd wager that with the holiday weekend it'll pull about $4-5m to have it's total sitting at about $140m +/- 300K.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 12:07 AM   #684
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

It should leave theaters with $150-$170 million domestic, which I think is a solid figure and comparable to the first X-Men.
Old July 2 2011, 12:09 AM   #685
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ But it cost more to make. Though I suspect it will sell better on DVD.
Old July 2 2011, 12:15 AM   #686
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I still want to see it again before it gets booted out of theaters. I've seen it three times, one more would be nice to tie it with "Star Trek" and "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" as theater films I've seen multiple times.

Old July 2 2011, 12:17 AM   #687
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ But it cost more to make. Though I suspect it will sell better on DVD.
I think 20th Century Fox are waiting on the DVD sales before deciding to move ahead with a sequel or not. I think Kick-Ass earned something like $30 million in DVD sales.

X-Men: First Class was always going to have an uphill battle for various reasons. The cast is mostly unknown, the mutants aren't as familiar to audiences, there's no Wolverine, and it's coming after the last two mediocre and disappointing installments. Not to mention it has huge competition this year with three other competing superhero films (not to mention all of the other big event pictures like Transformers, Harry Potter and so forth).

X-Men: First Class did two things the other films didn't achieve: critical success and the fans, for the most part, really dug it. Honestly, I think that was what Tom Rothman and Fox wanted after the critical and fan backlash of the previous two movies, which is why they secured Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn for this film (two filmmakers who previously ditched 20th Century Fox and the franchise).

I'm pretty confident we'll see more X-Men films, and that Singer and/or Vaughn will be attached to them in some capacity. Will there be a direct sequel to First Class? Only time will tell, but I believe we'll see one after all.
Old July 2 2011, 12:19 AM   #688
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I agree. I think if "First Class" was a critical failure then we would have something to worry about. The fact that so many people including critiques liked it makes me think we will get a sequel announcement by the end of the year (my own prediction). I also think we'll get some kind of "X4" announcement...sometime next year would be my guess for a possible 2014 release.

Old July 2 2011, 12:23 AM   #689
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Producer Lauren Shuler-Donner and Bryan Singer talked about X4. We know there's been movement on that front. I think after Singer is done with Jack the Giant Killer that 20th Century Fox might want to nab him for X4, but we'll see.
Old July 2 2011, 12:25 AM   #690
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I'm old enough to remember that when X-Men - which also didn't have any movie stars, which came on the back of a run of naff comic adaptations, like Batman and Robin and which was also up against other blockbuster movies - finished its cinema run, there was talk of there not being a sequel, of Singer being replaced by a 'proper' action director, etc, etc. Yet the original movie, not a massive commercial or critical hit in cinemas, built enough of a following on DVD to warrant a sequel with a bigger budget, which proved to be a bigger hit. So I'm confident that there will be a sequel to FC, which I think is a much better movie than the original 2000 movie.