Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28 2011, 11:46 AM   #646
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Are you guys seriously comparing Micheal Mann's movie to Brett Ratners? Manhunter is awesome, but I liked Red Dragon too, mainly because of the all-star cast and it's performance. Say what you want, but I loved Ralph Fiennes as Dollarhide, and having Anthony Hopkins play Lecter is always a plus (though I found Brian Cox's take on the character pretty fucking great).

Also, I really don't see Red Dragon as a remake of Manhunter, but rather a different book adaptation. As for Ratner, he's kinda mediocre as a director, but by no means a bad one, IMO.

Matthew Vaughn? Directed only four movies so far, two of which are pretty good (Layer Cake and First Class), Stardust I haven't seen, but I'm still waiting for him and Mark Millar to apologize for turning a brutal and gritty graphic novel (Kick-ass) into a teen comedy.

And to ad insult to injury, I'll just say that X3 doesn't deserve a tenth of all the hate it gets.
Old June 28 2011, 11:52 AM   #647
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Sorry you didn't like "Kick-Ass" but I thought both the graphic novel and the film adaption were stellar. They've nothing to apologize for in my opinion.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 02:07 PM   #648
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
They've nothing to apologize for in my opinion.
Opinions, tastes... Ah, well... The thing is, I really liked the way Millar handled the "romance" in the novel

while in the movie, the two live happily ever after...

And then there's the issue of Big Daddy, his back story and motivations... In the movie, he is a bad-ass ex cop and a widower, while in the novel..

Also, I fucking hated the jet-pack scene...

Also, Christopher Mintz-Fucking-Plasse (AKA McLovin) as Red Mist? Come on...

Last edited by Mach5; June 28 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 04:38 PM   #649
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Just returned from my second First Class viewing. Possibly enjoyed it more than the first.

The "pig farmers and tailors" scene is just awesome!

I'd love to just have a whole movie about Magneto hunting down ex-Nazis. Then maybe at the end he could fight it out with the Jew Hunter from Inglorious Basterds
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 05:02 PM   #650
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Opinions, tastes... Ah, well... The thing is, I really liked the way Millar handled the "romance" in the novel

And then there's the issue of Big Daddy, his back story and motivations... In the movie, he is a bad-ass ex cop and a widower, while in the novel..

While I like the ending as depicted in the book much better than the movie, in fairness, the book's ending would never have worked for a major motion picture. It is way too depressing and nihilistic in addition to making to characters unlikable and unsympathetic.
Old June 28 2011, 05:03 PM   #651
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I agree. That is why I assume they made the changes they made with the film.

Old June 28 2011, 06:35 PM   #652
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post

While I like the ending as depicted in the book much better than the movie, in fairness, the book's ending would never have worked for a major motion picture. It is way too depressing and nihilistic in addition to making to characters unlikable and unsympathetic.
Exactly why I can't stand reading anything by Mark Millar anymore.
Old June 28 2011, 07:20 PM   #653
Mach5
Rear Admiral

While I like the ending as depicted in the book much better than the movie, in fairness, the book's ending would never have worked for a major motion picture.
Yeah, the audience in the States wouldn't have the stomach for that stuff, so Vaughn went for the typical Hollywood smiley-face bullshit. ... Wait, wasn't Kick-ass rated R anyway? In the end, the numbers indicate that your average movie goer never even heard of that movie, let alone paid to see it.
Old June 28 2011, 07:39 PM   #654
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ To be fair...who outside of hardcore comic fans even knew about "Kick-Ass" in the first place? The only reason I knew about it is because I'm a Mark Millar fan. No one would care about those cosmetic type changes except us. I happened to think the film was a solid, entertaining effort that managed to be faithful to the source material. It's fine if others didn't.

Old June 28 2011, 08:07 PM   #655
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

While I like the ending as depicted in the book much better than the movie, in fairness, the book's ending would never have worked for a major motion picture.
Yeah, the audience in the States wouldn't have the stomach for that stuff, so Vaughn went for the typical Hollywood smiley-face bullshit. ... Wait, wasn't Kick-ass rated R anyway? In the end, the numbers indicate that your average movie goer never even heard of that movie, let alone paid to see it.
I wouldn't call it "smiley-face bullshit"; instead, it was more making the movie for general audiences. Having something so pessimistic worked for the comic, but wouldn't for a mainstream viewer. Vaughn and his screenwriters made the right call on this.

Kick-Ass was rated R for violence and language, which, interestingly enough, seems to generally get a pass in pop culture (though, there was a large our-cry surrounding the 11 year-old Hit-Girl).

True, Kick-Ass did not reach blockbuster status. Then again, it didn't need to. It had a budget of around 30 million. That is really, really inexpensive. Its B.O. ended up being around 95 million. It did fine. But what does that have to do with the intention of the filmmakers and the ending of the movie? Absolutely nothing. Just as citing low numbers on the amount of people who went to see Kick-Ass in theaters has nothing to do with the intent of the filmmakers.
Old June 28 2011, 11:14 PM   #656
Mach5
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't call it "smiley-face bullshit"; instead, it was more making the movie for general audiences.
po-tay-to / po-tah-to
Old June 28 2011, 11:17 PM   #657
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Saw First Class for the Third time today! I really do think this could have been a two part film or been solely about Charles, Erik, Raven, and Hank without getting into the cool cat kids, but eh, if that's my only complaint after 3 viewings, not bad.

I like all I've seen from Matthew Vaughn thus far. I really really enjoyed Stardust and Layer Cake, which perhaps in the extreme differences in subject matter of those two, does that show something about Vaughn? Kick Ass I liked, but there were major things in it that I didn't like or just seemed stupid. I seriously don't like Nicholas Cage.

I had to look up Brett Ratner to see what else he's done! Uhm ,yeah, not a lot of anything special. I liked Red Dragon a lot, but it has the unenviable task of cinematically following Silence of the Lambs. I also really loved the first 2 and half seasons of Prison Break, but that bone was milked dry. Suffice to say if I had to choose between the two, I'd much prefer something by Vaughn.

Guy made a joke earlier about 'Mag Wheels'. Has anyone seen the Popcorn interview where Fassbender calls McAvoy a loser (complete with the L hand sign) for 'ending up in the wheelchair'? Kind of funny. I was reminded of the bromanceness today in the theater when I caught a snip of dialogue I didn't hear before. On the bed in the club when Angel says it costs more for both, Xavier declines but says something like, 'though I sure that would be magical.'

http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 12:36 AM   #658
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

JD wrote: View Post
So if they do an X4, which movies do you think it will incorporate into it's backstory? I'm thinking the first 2 and FC would be the most likely, since they're the ones Singer was involved with. Either that or the first 3 and FC, I don't really foresee XO: Wolverine playing much of a role.
Maybe they'll try to make it an agnostic film, like...
TMNT, which is so vague that it could easily tie into any previous Turtles continuity. They even had a strategically placed crack in the ooze canister to obscure whether it came from "TCRI" or "TGRI."
Terminator Salvation, which doesn't put a date on Judgment Day and could theoretically fit either Terminator 3 or The Sarah Connor Chronicles into its backstory.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Also, according to Singer's public statements, he approved of Ratner's work on X3. The prerelease assumption that First Class would only ignore X3 has not been borne out. The unlikely workarounds proposed to make FC fit the other films don't fit with the intent of FC.
Matthew Vaughn is, on the other hand, continuously taking jabs at Brett Ratner, trashing X3 on every given occasion.
Hollywood is a funny place. Most of the cast & crew of Terminator Salvation couldn't help but take a few swipes at Terminator 3 in their interviews, even though T3 & Terminator Salvation both had the same screenwriters.

KB24 wrote: View Post
Well if the world ends in 2012 we might not see all those movies!
The world's not set to end 'till December of that year, so we'd get to see pretty much everything except maybe The Hobbit.

Personally, I think I would prefer to see X-Men 4 over an X-Men: First Class sequel, but either would be cool. On the one hand, I'd prefer to see the story move forward in the future. On the other hand, I really like the way they realized that red & purple look for Magneto at the end. Either way, I'd like to see more of the Xavier/Mystique relationship, which was one of my favorite parts of First Class.
Old June 29 2011, 12:48 AM   #659
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Once upon a time in the 1800s, Angel and Spike were in a Devils Threesome.

These things happen.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 02:12 AM   #660
24thcenstfan
Commander

I think I gave it an "A" the last time I visited, but ran out of time to respond.

I really enjoyed this movie. I liked lead characters and was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the story. After "The Last Stand", I feared the worst, but I am glad this franchise seems to be back on track.

I especially loved James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr. Excellent casting choices in my opinion.

Looking forward to the sequel!