Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19 2011, 07:05 PM   #601
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Finally saw it.

It's FANTASTIC. SOOOOO much better than X3. I won't bother knocking X3, as it's not worth the time and effort--it's that bad.

FC, great. Vaughn did not disappoint. My wife, who is NOT an action fan, didn't want to like it, but, she LOVED it. It's a great ride.
Old June 19 2011, 08:00 PM   #602
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

X-Men: First Class also managed to have another great weekend. It's following in Thor's lead and is yet to have a weekend drop of over 60%, this week was only 52%. XM:FC hauled in another $11.5m to bring it's domestic total up to $119.9m. I'm hoping for a sight uptick with actuals for a nice clean $120m.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 08:42 PM   #603
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
X-Men: First Class also managed to have another great weekend. It's following in Thor's lead and is yet to have a weekend drop of over 60%, this week was only 52%. XM:FC hauled in another $11.5m to bring it's domestic total up to $119.9m. I'm hoping for a sight uptick with actuals for a nice clean $120m.

It's also worth noting that Green Lantern, with a production budget that was $40 million more than First Class's, and showing on more screens (including 3-D presentations), debuted to a lower opening weekend and much worse reviews than First Class did.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 08:43 PM   #604
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I blame the CGI suit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 10:11 PM   #605
MacLeod
Admiral

Well worldwide takings for X-Men: First Class stand at (according to boxofficemojo)

Domestic US$119.925m (42.5%)
Foriegn US$162.100m (57.5%)

Total US$282.025m

Of course other movies are coming out now which might have a knock on effect, so my guess for the final takings will be in the US$300m to US$320m

Which I think would be good enough for their to be a sequel.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 10:55 PM   #606
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Yay! I saw a few box office numbers that said Green Lantern wasn't doing well. Yes, GL has serious merchandising and 3D returns, but bad CGI and poor reviews are hurting that one. Also, I think there might be some comic book or superhero burnout for GL at this point with a few of these comic films out the gate before hand.

I'm glad X-Men is still having some consistent numbers, even though it now has less showings and theater times thanks to the new stuff premiering. I do indeed hope the numbers and praise are worthy of a sequel. I've been thinking maybe an August announcement- after it is out of theaters and a video date is given.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 11:08 PM   #607
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I think First Class DVD sales will be strong as well. I would hazard a guess that a sequel announcement won't come from Fox until next year. After they've had time to analyze the box office numbers and the DVD sales numbers and then talked to Singer and Vaughn about ideas.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 01:43 AM   #608
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Yeah, awards season could make a huge difference if Fassbender or Lawrence get acclaim for other films. I think the videos will do really will simply because it is a dang tangible purchase for this film.

Green Lantern is on dang cereal boxes in the grocery store. Really, I need that decapitated mini mate for my Christmas ornament. And a Fassy pillowcase to match my Bean one!
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 07:39 AM   #609
MacLeod
Admiral

Even if projected DVD/Blu-ray sales/rentals are say 75% of X-Men, that should be enough to commission a sequel. though I would expect it to have a smaller budget.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 11:17 PM   #610
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The movie did get an uptick with actuals, due to Fathers Day according to the analysis (same reason GL's actual went back up after going down).

X-Men now has $120.3m and had a third weekend drop of just over 50%, it's holding well. Closing in on $300m worldwide as well!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 08:35 AM   #611
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Great film. But I think there's going to be a renaissance of Magneto/Xavier slash fiction. Rivaling Kirk/Spock for sure.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 09:17 AM   #612
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I still think Fox is going to wait on making an announcement about a sequel. Matthew Vaughn does have a couple projects down the pipe he is eying right now. Although if Fox green lights a sequel maybe he will push those back in favor of a X-Men First class sequel. We could be looking at a "Chronicles of Narnia: Magician's Nephew" style wait here.

Old June 25 2011, 09:21 AM   #613
Dream
Admiral

They'll do The Wolverine first, since FOX finally found a director for it. After that... who knows?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 09:22 AM   #614
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well of course they'll do "The Wolverine" first. Fox has already stated that it's still targeting a release for next year. If "X-Men: First Class 2" gets green lit we probably won't see it until 2013 at the earliest.

Old June 25 2011, 10:09 AM   #615
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Well of course they'll do "The Wolverine" first. Fox has already stated that it's still targeting a release for next year.
Which really makes me wonder how arrogant Fox is really... Or they're just plain nuts. 2012 is already swarming with competition - The Avengers and MiB3 in May, Prometheus and Star Trek XII in June (though I doubt it), Spiderman reboot and The Dark Knight Rises in July, Totall Recall remake in August, the new Bond in October, a new Twilight movie in November, Man of Steel and The Hobbit in December...

Holy cow... Well, if McQuarrie's script really IS as good as some people say, then maybe Wolverine stands a chance... James Mangold is a good director (IMO better than Aronofsky), and people do love High Jackman... But still, releasing a new instalment of a shaken franchise (lets not fool ourselves, FC is by far the least successful X-Men movie to date) in a year in which 6 major franchises return to the cinemas... We'll see...