New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15 2011, 10:23 PM   #556
DBR
Vice Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

I loved it, and when I saw it again--y'know, just for confirmation--I loved it again!
Old June 15 2011, 11:06 PM   #557
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Dream wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Not even remotely true.
Why not?
A movie needs to at least make double its production budget in the worldwide total to make a profit, theaters always get a share of the money and studios spend a ton on adversting, a common fact known by people that follow the boxoffice.

So it has to make $330 worldwide first for any chance at a sequel. It is going to take this movie a while to get there.

This movie is a disappointment at the boxoffice, but I guess it'll make a profit eventually.
There are several movies who have had sequels announced before this magical double point. Hangover 3 was announced the day Hangover 2 was released. The rebooted Star Trek 2 was moving forward over a month before Star Trek was released.
Old June 16 2011, 12:17 AM   #558
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
There are several movies who have had sequels announced before this magical double point. Hangover 3 was announced the day Hangover 2 was released. The rebooted Star Trek 2 was moving forward over a month before Star Trek was released.
Somehow both these movies ended up being successful. Perhaps the studios had some kind of early projections (estimates, surveys, whatever) that made them optimistic.

The Golden Compass was initially announced as a trilogy, was it not? The monster-budget movie ($180 mil.) ended up making only $70 mil. domestically ($370 mil. globally), and New Line Cinema dumped it.

And then there's Matthew Vaughn's Kick-ass. First there was this, but then this happened. I remember reading somewhere that Lionsgate made a bad deal with Vaughn and Mark Millar and actually ended up losing money on that film.

X-Men FC is sure to get a sequel, I believe. It may not be doing great at the boxoffice, but I'm sure that DVD's are gonna sell like crazy.
Old June 16 2011, 12:56 AM   #559
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

^But The Golden Compass sucked. That makes a big difference.

Is there a comparison here in the Narnia film series? Though acclaimed, well done, and popular, Disney let them go, only for another studio be more than happy to pick the series up and continue in modest success.

Getting lofty again here after my boob and droolfest, but I don't wonder if cinema numbers continue to fall that folks would stop adapting material for the big screen that would be better served for the small screen? Harry Potter, though a huge huge hugest money maker certainly had enough material for 7 years of 20 episode shows. X-Men would be sweet as a live action television series. With the mix of TV and stream and the decrease of box office, will major adaptations continue to come to television like Game of Thrones? Can we relearn to sacrifice special effects and big money and replace it with performance and hard hitting story again? Nightmare at 20,000 feet is NOT made by the Gremlin makeup, is it?
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 01:27 AM   #560
JD
Admiral

I would LOVE to see a well done X-Men TV show. There is just sooooo much material there, and after 5 movies we've still barely scratched the surface.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 01:54 AM   #561
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
Well I meant a t-shirt, but hell yeah when Shame comes out, I bet there will be a lot of people who backtrack and see First Class! I show my boobs a lot. That is the scary things that happens to people who erroneously open the locker room door.

See, the posters with the faces on the shadowed crotches were all wrong! They should have had Erik and Charles sitting in an Attack of the 50 foot women January Jones' cleavage. That would have made some money!

Let me tell you something, my friend, in the question of Bean versus Fassbender, I propose to you this:

Why choose?

Imagination is a beautiful thing! I'd pay money to see that fight.

Fassbender all the way! Oh, yeah.
Old June 16 2011, 03:24 AM   #562
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I really think he'd make a good Bond in a more classical, '60s-like take on the character as the current take on the character and series isn't doing much for me. As mentioned up-thread the scenes with Erik/Magneto seeking out Kevin Bacon were good Bondian-like scenes. Hell all of his scenes pretty much were.
Old June 16 2011, 04:10 AM   #563
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Hey, I had the thread away from strictly Fassbender, but I'll bring it back! Bean gets stabbed in the bar, but Fassbender can make a mean martini. Who wins?

I agree the Craig reboot should have been a period film. That was in fact what I expected. Oh, you are doing the first book, but now it is going to contemporary, and everyone else is the same but Bond? And CR was so off the moment that it is already dated. Sony Ericson phones? I also thought the same for the Fantastic Four films. I expected an introduction to FF to take place in the 60s as well and was very disappointed that it was made into farcical modern fun. I don't understand why we don't just tell tales where they belong.

Coming up next on BBC America: The War Between The States, 2012 starring Gillian Anderson (She was partially raised here, good enough reason for us to air it!)
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 06:41 AM   #564
C_Miller
Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I would LOVE to see a well done X-Men TV show. There is just sooooo much material there, and after 5 movies we've still barely scratched the surface.
And I think that a live action X-Men TV show is relatively feasable.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 06:56 AM   #565
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

just as long as its nothing like Smallville.
Old June 16 2011, 07:30 AM   #566
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Maybe if Joss ever came back to tv and Fox doesn't screw him again we could see Astonishing X-Men transition from page to screen.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 07:42 AM   #567
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Have you seen the motion-comic of Joss's first book of Astonishing X-Men?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 08:04 AM   #568
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

No I haven't but I'll check it out.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 08:23 AM   #569
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's panel for panel the comic, as are all all motion comics.

Full cast too.

I think I'll buy a small bottle of bourbon befor I watch Warren Ellis' Extremis Iron Man motion comic.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 10:10 AM   #570
Pauln6
Commodore

I agree that it's doable given the current state of CGI but probably only if they adopt a similar feel to the first movie, which was refreshing effects and explosions light. The budget on Heroes was high despite the low use of powered special effects. They would also have to leave out make-up heavy characters like Mystique (unless in disguise), Nightcrawler, and Beast apart from the occasional guest appearance. Even Angel, steel Colossus, or a iced-up Iceman could be a nightmare.

Probably a core of effects-light characters such as Wolverine, Shadowcat, Cyclops, Jean Grey, etc could work and then feature the effects-heavy characters infrequently - sort of like a variable Mission Impossible team.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote