RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,355
Posts: 5,503,075
Members: 25,121
Currently online: 530
Newest member: MsMarrielle

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 7 2011, 08:22 PM   #256
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Part of the problem is Bryan Singer himself. He is a good filmmaker. However , he is not a "great" filmmaker. he's never hit one out of the park. Even X2 is held back but a sloppy "everyone goes to Boston" second act (What a crime is it to have Storm and Jean wait in an airplane for the script to remember that they are in the story.

But the mistake Singer makes here is similar to the mistake he made in Superman Returns.. yeah he didn't direct this, but in both cases he used the term "vague continuity" to describe how the various films fit together.

Thanks for screwing the audience, moron!.
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 08:44 PM   #257
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

I thought the 60's vibe was excellently done!

Outside of the mere production design, the film was largely shot like a movie from the 60's, and even scored like a movie from the 60's. The end credits were the last joy for me...I clapped when I saw them!
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 08:45 PM   #258
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

I thought the 60's vibe was excellently done! I think if they had pushed it much further, people would be complaining that "they beat you over the head" with the 60's vibe. You can't win.

Outside of the mere production design, the film was largely shot like a movie from the 60's, and even scored like a movie from the 60's. The end credits were the last joy for me...I clapped when I saw them!
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 09:02 PM   #259
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Part of the problem is Bryan Singer himself. He is a good filmmaker. However , he is not a "great" filmmaker. he's never hit one out of the park.
Usual Suspects?
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 09:07 PM   #260
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

exodus wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Part of the problem is Bryan Singer himself. He is a good filmmaker. However , he is not a "great" filmmaker. he's never hit one out of the park.
Usual Suspects?
Yeah, no shit!

Add to the fact that X2 has to be one of the best superhero movies of all time.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 09:27 PM   #261
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

the famous line up shot from the Usual Suspects has even become Singer's logo for Bad Hat Harry Productions as we all saw at the beginning of the movie.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 10:19 PM   #262
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Part of the problem is Bryan Singer himself. He is a good filmmaker. However , he is not a "great" filmmaker. he's never hit one out of the park.
Usual Suspects?
Yeah, no shit!

Add to the fact that X2 has to be one of the best superhero movies of all time.
I rewatch Usual Suspects at least once a year.
GREAT FILM!!
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 10:32 PM   #263
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Usual Suspects is a good film not a great one. It's almost like they thought of the twist ending and then built the movie around it. Still, that film aside his ther work has problems. I already mentioned my problem with X2. I still love it, but act two was a little odd. Again Storm and Jean hang out in a plane in boston until the plot needs them again.
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 11:00 PM   #264
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

It's only a good film because you say it's a good film when in fact it's a GREAT film!

Its subjective.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 11:13 PM   #265
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

knew this would happen. I made the comment, whatever But the Usual Suspects is not the topic. X-Men is, and I was specificaly mentioning Singer's tendency to say loose continuity" when he can't seem to decide if the films are in the same universe.
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 11:18 PM   #266
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Universe schmooniverse. Vague continuity is the most that should be expected.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 11:37 PM   #267
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

It was a pretty good movie overall. I am glad I saw it but not enough to ever buy a copy of it later.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 12:27 AM   #268
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
knew this would happen. I made the comment, whatever But the Usual Suspects is not the topic. X-Men is, and I was specificaly mentioning Singer's tendency to say loose continuity" when he can't seem to decide if the films are in the same universe.
As far as I'm concerned, continuity only has relevance if it's important to the plot. And by that, I mean it had to be important when originally established and the fact that it was established has to be important to this movie. Only then do inconsistencies really bother me. Sure it's nice to have everything harmonious, but that's secondary. Certainly doesn't come close to distracting from what this movie did really well.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 12:50 AM   #269
Yassim
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Anyone else find the opening scene odd? Even at the time, moreso in hindsight... Erik kills two guards, Shaw is delighted... takes no precautions, walks over, hands Erik a coin... shouldn't he be a little rattled? have some precaution in place? not have a room of knives next door?

I guess in hindsight, maybe he knows he's protected by his powers, but at the time, it plays... odd.
__________________
Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter could be said to remedy anything.
- Kurt Vonnegut
Yassim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 12:54 AM   #270
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Yassim wrote: View Post
Anyone else find the opening scene odd? Even at the time, moreso in hindsight... Erik kills two guards, Shaw is delighted... takes no precautions, walks over, hands Erik a coin... shouldn't he be a little rattled? have some precaution in place? not have a room of knives next door?

I guess in hindsight, maybe he knows he's protected by his powers, but at the time, it plays... odd.
Nazis or people who worked in concentration camps probably weren't known for the compassion or "care" when it came to other people. He wasn't rattled because he'd already seen the boy do something amazing and the room full of knives was there as intimidation.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel, x-men

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.