RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,321
Posts: 5,352,690
Members: 24,617
Currently online: 673
Newest member: CaptXeno

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 28 2011, 04:22 PM   #1
GotNoRice
Fleet Captain
 
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Viewing Order?

I'm re-watching all Star Trek Episodes in Chronological order as I do every few years.

I've used this in the past with reasonably good results: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/star...pisodes-1.html

I have not been able to find anything better than that, but still, there appears to be some discrepancies.

For example, the DS9 episode 1x08 “Dax” has a Stardate of 46910.1, 1x09-1x13 have no Stardates that were given in the episodes, but then 1x14 “Storyteller” has a Stardate of 46729.1 which is even earlier than the “Dax” episode 6 episodes earlier! In fact, Chronologically, “Dax” has a stardate between the DS9 episode 1x16 “If Wishes Were Horses” (46853.2) and 1x17 “The Forsaken” (46925.1), though I really can’t imagine it would be “correct” to delay the viewing of 1x08 for that many episodes.

Similarly, there are often times when several episodes are bunched up as opposed to mostly trading off as they originally aired.

Finally, is the correct time to begin Viewing DS9 immediately after the 2-part TNG Episode "Chain of Command"? The first season of DS9 didn't really start half-way through the 6th season of TNG, did it?
GotNoRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Lord Garth
Captain
 
Lord Garth's Avatar
 
Re: Viewing Order?

"Chain of Command" aired in December 1992. DS9 premiered January 4, 1993.

DS9 doesn't use stardates that often, so it wouldn't be a good choice to go by them. If I were you, I'd alternate between TNG and DS9 episodes if you want to watch them simultaneously. I'd rather go through all of TNG and then all of DS9, if I were watching them all over again.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
 
Distorted Humor's Avatar
 
Location: Z'ha'dum
Re: Viewing Order?

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
"Chain of Command" aired in December 1992. DS9 premiered January 4, 1993.

DS9 doesn't use stardates that often, so it wouldn't be a good choice to go by them. If I were you, I'd alternate between TNG and DS9 episodes if you want to watch them simultaneously. I'd rather go through all of TNG and then all of DS9, if I were watching them all over again.
This is what I would recommend as well...
__________________
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 06:28 PM   #4
GotNoRice
Fleet Captain
 
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Viewing Order?

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I'd rather go through all of TNG and then all of DS9, if I were watching them all over again.
Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
This is what I would recommend as well...
Well, if you don't feel that watching them chronologically is worth the effort you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I obviously do feel it's worth my time to make an effort to watch them chronologically. And if I am concerned enough about the discrepancy of a single episode, to suggest that I artificially create a discrepancy of more than an entire season by not watching DS9 until after TNG seems a bit silly.

It makes more sense to me to have them aligned so things flow better. When the Enterprise-D is docked at DS9 I feel it makes great sense to watch the shows synchronized at that point. The transition of O'Brien to DS9, seeing bashir on the enterprise and worf visiting DS9. Down the road, when Worf eventually transfers to DS9, that should occur fairly shortly after "Generations", etc.

I probably won't be as concerned with Voyager and DS9 since those two shows never really had any interaction.

My eventual goal however is to create a "Master Playlist" of all the series episodes in the chronological order that makes the most sense.
GotNoRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 10:42 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Viewing Order?

GotNoRice wrote: View Post
Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I'd rather go through all of TNG and then all of DS9, if I were watching them all over again.
Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
This is what I would recommend as well...
Well, if you don't feel that watching them chronologically is worth the effort you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I obviously do feel it's worth my time to make an effort to watch them chronologically. And if I am concerned enough about the discrepancy of a single episode, to suggest that I artificially create a discrepancy of more than an entire season by not watching DS9 until after TNG seems a bit silly.

It makes more sense to me to have them aligned so things flow better. When the Enterprise-D is docked at DS9 I feel it makes great sense to watch the shows synchronized at that point. The transition of O'Brien to DS9, seeing bashir on the enterprise and worf visiting DS9. Down the road, when Worf eventually transfers to DS9, that should occur fairly shortly after "Generations", etc.

I probably won't be as concerned with Voyager and DS9 since those two shows never really had any interaction.

My eventual goal however is to create a "Master Playlist" of all the series episodes in the chronological order that makes the most sense.
I watch what I enjoy and discard the rest. Life's too short to waste time watching something I already know I don't like.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Viewing Order?

Just go by airdate when you get to when TNG and DS9 were running simultaneously... there's only a handful of crossovers anyway.
__________________
Currently Reading: The Abominable by Dan Simmons
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Kirkman1987
Commodore
 
Kirkman1987's Avatar
 
Location: Missouri
Re: Viewing Order?

I actually used that list the first time I watched through everything post TOS. It is perfect, and I always suggest it to those who want everything in order.
It's great because it list TOS in production order and the TNG/DS9/VOY stuff is all listed in the order they aired. You won't be confused by a single reference or crossover, I promise.

And yeah, theres only a handful of crossovers, the main ones happening when TNG and DS9 were running concurrently. The nature of Voyager didn't allow for much of that with DS9.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 04:59 AM   #8
ialfan
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Viewing Order?

I recommend watching Voyager season 1 and 7 in production order. Season 1 was meant to end with 'The 37's' and works a lot better that way and 'Drive' belongs before 'Imperfection'.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
 
Distorted Humor's Avatar
 
Location: Z'ha'dum
Re: Viewing Order?

If your going to intermix the series, then I recommend to go by air-date...
__________________
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 04:52 PM   #10
milo bloom
Fleet Captain
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Location: The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
Re: Viewing Order?

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
If your going to intermix the series, then I recommend to go by air-date...
One thing I would recommend for the DS9 years, is keeping in mind that they were more likely to have multi-episode story arcs (even if the titles didn't have the explicit "part 1/part 2" tags. I'd keep these together, even if it meant going back a few ticks in stardate for a VOY episode.
__________________
'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!
milo bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Lord Garth
Captain
 
Lord Garth's Avatar
 
Re: Viewing Order?

GotNoRice wrote: View Post
Well, if you don't feel that watching them chronologically is worth the effort you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I obviously do feel it's worth my time to make an effort to watch them chronologically.
DS9's second season is very underrated and though there's some sagging in the middle, it's one of Star Trek's best seasons. When I get into the flow, into the rhythym, I want to keep going with the episodes. Unless I felt the need to switch to something else to break things up, I wouldn't want to constantly interrupt DS9 S2 by alternating back and forth with TNG S7.

With DS9's first season and TNG's sixth, I wouldn't care so much. In fact, I'd be more likely to see DS9 S1 as interrupting with TNG S6, instead of the other way around.

Sometimes when I'm watching series, whether it's Star Trek or not, I just want to go right to the next episode if I'm really getting into it.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to watch in one particular order or another, just explaining my own rationale.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.