RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,676
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 839
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 22 2011, 06:55 PM   #1
DS9
Lieutenant

B'Elanna in Season 7

Does anyone else think that B'Elanna Torres is the the best character in season 7? In seasons 1-6 I really like her but it wasn't until season 7 that I REALLY liked her. There are some good episodes with her. One that comes to mind is "Lineage" which is one of my favorite Voyager episodes ever. I think that she is one of the best charcters in the series and in the Trek universe.
DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
Re: B'Elanna in Season 7

She actually quite annoyed me in Lineage. I think Prophecy was a better B'Elanna episode. I thought season 7 was quite a good character season all round, actually.

For me she was pretty consistent throughout Voyager's run. I don't think she was one of the best actors on the show, but far from the worst, and I liked her character. She had sass.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 08:01 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'm afraid her depressive episodes were handled so poorly it killed the character for me. Instead of sympathy for a character suffering, it was "B'Elanna's whining again"

Plus, she settled for a guy who DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE SHE WAS SUICIDAL and more often than not, treated her like shit.

I know, not all season seven, but still...
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
froot
Fleet Captain

^ Yeah, that's mostly Season 5.

I like P/T, but, then again, I'm one of like 2 people who think Tom Paris is awesome. YES, I SAID IT. TOM PARIS IS AWESOME. There. I said it again in caps lock.

Anyways, I also think "Prophecy" was kinder to her character than "Lineage," although the flashbacks in that episode were cool, IMO. Voyager didn't do a whole lot of straight-up flashbacks. Overall, though, I agree that B'Elanna really got some great moments in 7. "Workforce" was pretty great, along with the others mentioned.

I guess a lot of her episodes were sort of "she's whining again," but I still enjoyed 'em.

My "Dang, B'Elanna, you COOL" moment probably came while I was watching "Barge of the Dead." Honorable mention goes to "Faces," but I was like 10 at the time and I think the reason I liked that episode stemmed from the fact that the scene with the spit-roasted rodent was funny.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 09:45 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I never even remember B'Elanna is in it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 05:08 PM   #6
sonak
Vice Admiral

I think B'Elanna was better in the earlier seasons before they "softened " her, and I thought a Chakotay-Torres relationship(hinted at with her fantasy in a second season episode I can't come up with the name of) made a LOT more sense given their Maquis background together rather than her falling for cliche "bad boy" Tom Paris.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 07:06 PM   #7
lurok
Commodore

froot wrote: View Post
Honorable mention goes to "Faces," ...
Is Faces the one where she's split into two sides of personality? That's not only my fave B'Elanna, but also one of fave VOY and Trek episodes. Dawson does such a great job in that. Otherwise, I think writers wasted her, especially in later seasons.

Oh, and to Paris from here too...
Old May 23 2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Rom's Sehlat
Fleet Captain

I saw a good, friends-style relationship between Be'lanna and Chakotay. They were friends, but not bf-gf.
Rom's Sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 10:43 PM   #9
vas2009
Captain

froot wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, that's mostly Season 5.

I like P/T, but, then again, I'm one of like 2 people who think Tom Paris is awesome. YES, I SAID IT. TOM PARIS IS AWESOME. There. I said it again in caps lock.
I'm with you froot. TOM PARIS IS AWESOME.

I also LOVE B'Elanna but mostly I love just having her there filling in where needed puting her two cents in and being a kick ass engineer... Jugernaught is my FAV B'Elanna ep. It is probably the one episode that has very little Janeway and yet I still watch it all the time.

By whining I assume we mean the "I hate my Klingon side" whining. It bothers me little.
Old May 24 2011, 12:40 AM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Rom's Sehlat wrote: View Post
I saw a good, friends-style relationship between Be'lanna and Chakotay. They were friends, but not bf-gf.
Weren't they making out in an early episode? Or was that a dream or alien influence thing?
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Rom's Sehlat
Fleet Captain

I think that was an alien-induced thing, whether or not it was a dream..
Rom's Sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2011, 09:45 PM   #12
sonak
Vice Admiral

it was alien-induced, but it was definitely her fantasy. Which means that she at least was interested in Chakotay as more than a friend, even if the reverse wasn't true.(there's really no indication either way from him)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Jeri
Vice Admiral

My favorite ep is "Muse," and B'Elanna makes that episode. Sometimes I'm surprised it's really her, due to the classical aspects. But they definitely needed an engineer for it. She stepped up and did her non-engineering duty and succeeded brilliantly.

My second-favorite B'Elanna ep is Juggernaut. These two eps have a strange connection: they both have artists in them. Malon Fesek is a sculptor and Kelis a poet. I'm a fan of Kellie Waymire (RIP) and Joseph Will, both of whom went on from "Muse" to Enterprise.
Old May 31 2011, 06:16 PM   #14
Anika Hanson
Captain

I preferred her in the earlier seasons, not as much after seven came as I didn't like the way she treated her. Overall she was one of my fav characters in Voyager and females in Star Trek.
Old May 31 2011, 08:15 PM   #15
exodus
Fleet Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post

it was alien-induced, but it was definitely her fantasy. Which means that she at least was interested in Chakotay as more than a friend, even if the reverse wasn't true.(there's really no indication either way from him)
Exactly.