RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,748
Posts: 5,433,251
Members: 24,838
Currently online: 489
Newest member: Mei'konda

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 31 2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
 
Distorted Humor's Avatar
 
Location: Z'ha'dum
Any Wicker Man fans?

Of course, I am speaking of the great, epic British version, and not the one that has Nicolas cage punching a women in a bear suit as the high point of the movie.

Anyone else has this as a fave, be a guilty pleasure or something that you think is actually a quality movie?
__________________
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

The Wicker Man is one of my absolute favorite movies, and I wouldn't consider it a guilty pleasure at all. It's one of best British horror films of the era: witty, irreverent, blackly comic, erotic, and creepy. The ending gives you chills.

And the music is great, too. I listen to the soundtrack all the time. And I've got the novelization, the making-of book, etc.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. So is Christopher Lee, who has often cited it as one of his personal favorites of all the films he's done.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
 
Distorted Humor's Avatar
 
Location: Z'ha'dum
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The Wicker Man is one of my absolute favorite movies, and I wouldn't consider it a guilty pleasure at all. It's one of best British horror films of the era: witty, irreverent, blackly comic, erotic, and creepy. The ending gives you chills.

And the music is great, too. I listen to the soundtrack all the time. And I've got the novelization, the making-of book, etc.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. So is Christopher Lee, who has often cited it as one of his personal favorites of all the films he's done.
Good, someone else listens to the wonderful soundtrack too!
__________________
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

I should like this film - it has an interesting storyline, is well-acted, and is genuinely eerie in places, with a good ending.

It just never engages me.

The only part of the remake I've seen is the bear-suit moment. Stellar stuff.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: ManOnTheWave
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Have not seen this since the 70s. I'll have to put it in the DVD queue.

The remake is possibly the best example of why not to remake a movie.
__________________
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

It's a classic - the DVD with the two cuts is great.

Remake? Er... There was never a remake - mentions of it are just a viral hoax. Do not be fooled by them. Yeah.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: ()

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
It's a classic - the DVD with the two cuts is great.

Remake? Er... There was never a remake - mentions of it are just a viral hoax. Do not be fooled by them. Yeah.

I confess: I've never been able to bring myself to watch the remake.

And I'm someone who defends remakes on principle!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
 
Distorted Humor's Avatar
 
Location: Z'ha'dum
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
It's a classic - the DVD with the two cuts is great.

Remake? Er... There was never a remake - mentions of it are just a viral hoax. Do not be fooled by them. Yeah.

I confess: I've never been able to bring myself to watch the remake.

And I'm someone who defends remakes on principle!
Indeed, though this does crack me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90
(No idea how to get embedding working, this is all you need to see of the hoax of the remake. I think the Chariots of Fire music has been added, but I could be wrong.)

I also recommend the 2 version DVD, I have it in the wooden case, and I happen to like the longer version...
__________________
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:49 PM   #9
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90
(No idea how to get embedding working...)
Here you go, because it's so awesome, it deserves to be embedded:

Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
It's a classic - the DVD with the two cuts is great.

Remake? Er... There was never a remake - mentions of it are just a viral hoax. Do not be fooled by them. Yeah.

I confess: I've never been able to bring myself to watch the remake.

And I'm someone who defends remakes on principle!
Indeed, though this does crack me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90
(No idea how to get embedding working, this is all you need to see of the hoax of the remake. I think the Chariots of Fire music has been added, but I could be wrong.)

I also recommend the 2 version DVD, I have it in the wooden case, and I happen to like the longer version...
That's not nearly as funny as if the woman was wearing the bear suit, which is how I originally read your opening post
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 08:58 PM   #11
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
 
Distorted Humor's Avatar
 
Location: Z'ha'dum
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post


I confess: I've never been able to bring myself to watch the remake.

And I'm someone who defends remakes on principle!
Indeed, though this does crack me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90
(No idea how to get embedding working, this is all you need to see of the hoax of the remake. I think the Chariots of Fire music has been added, but I could be wrong.)

I also recommend the 2 version DVD, I have it in the wooden case, and I happen to like the longer version...
That's not nearly as funny as if the woman was wearing the bear suit, which is how I originally read your opening post
For some reason I remembered it him hitting punching a women in a bear suit.....I was wrong...
__________________
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

I enjoy the original quite a bit. It's nice and bizarre.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90
(No idea how to get embedding working...)
Here you go, because it's so awesome, it deserves to be embedded:


Gives a whole new meaning to the expression 'A bear with a sore head'!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 10:21 PM   #14
The Badger
Fleet Captain
 
The Badger's Avatar
 
Location: Im in ur Tardis, violating ur canon.
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

Never seen the remake, but the original is superb.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 10:38 PM   #15
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Any Wicker Man fans?

A classic of it's genre.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.