Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 12 2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Gene Roddenberry's "Starship"...

Over the years I think we've seen but only a smattering of the sketches Matt Jefferies had done. Evidently he played around with a lot of ideas to arrive at the final design we're all familiar with.

Anyone who has ever tried to design something---particularly speculative---understands this is what the process is usually like. Rarely do you have even a basic concept in mind before you start playing around with different shapes and proportions to work towards something that starts to come together in fully realized form.

I would be curious to know how detailed and close to the final form MJ got with his final concept (for the TOS Enterprise) and how much (if any) was Richard Datin's contribution.

We know there are construction drawings out there for the 11 footer, but to my knowledge few have actually seen these drawings and no one is talking or being forthcoming.
Old August 12 2013, 04:09 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Both Earth: Final Conflict and Andromeda had the same problem they went downhill after the first season or so. No doubt due to network interferrence.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

Way back I had an opportunity to chat with Leni Parker (Da'an in EFC) at Toronto Trek. When I expressed my disappointment with the second season and the departure of Kevin Kilner (who played Boone) she acknowledged similar feelings. She said they (the cast and crew) were bound by their contracts, but even so they preferred the more thoughtful stories of the first season while the suits wanted more straightforward action.

I have first season on dvd, but I never bothered to pick up the rest of it.
Old August 12 2013, 04:46 PM   #19
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Here are some beautiful visuals of the Enterprise XVC 330:

First, here is the one sold by Lincoln Enterprises and a piece of beautiful space art, IMHO:
http://www.up-ship.com/models/nottha...007-07-22d.jpg

Then, here is a gorgeous CGI reproduction that makes me want to book a flight on this vessel:
http://images.wikia.com/stexpanded/i...se_XCV-330.jpg

The size of the ship is the apparent difference in the work of both artists. Looking at the pod's windows, the painting suggests more space in the enviropod than the CGI rendering.

It's difficult to determine which size is correct. The CGI rendering appears to reflect the measurements provided in Jefferies' blueprint but we know from TOS that his original Enterprise design was eventually boosted in size.

The painting reveals a bigger XCV 330 which could reflect an enlargement for the unrealized Starship series but not necessarily the final word for the Enterprise XCV 330.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Here are some beautiful visuals of the Enterprise XVC 330:

First, here is the one sold by Lincoln Enterprises and a piece of beautiful space art, IMHO:
http://www.up-ship.com/models/nottha...007-07-22d.jpg
I still have that poster stashed away somewhere. A bit worse for wear, though. Sadly, I do not have the set of blueprints that Lincoln enterprises also sold back in the day. Damn sure wish I still had those, they were quite beautiful.
Old August 12 2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Sadly, I do not have the set of blueprints that Lincoln enterprises also sold back in the day. Damn sure wish I still had those, they were quite beautiful.
Were these just the Jefferies production sketches (Trekcore and Trekplace have one side view with the "dynertia" annotations) or something else?

Bob
Old August 12 2013, 05:28 PM   #22
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Sadly, I do not have the set of blueprints that Lincoln enterprises also sold back in the day. Damn sure wish I still had those, they were quite beautiful.
Were these just the Jefferies production sketches (Trekcore and Trekplace have one side view with the "dynertia" annotations) or something else?

Bob
IIRC, and I probably don't (it's been thirty years since I've had them in my hands) , there were two sheets. One was Jeffries sketch art, and the other were orthographic type plans for the ship. Sorry, but I cannot recall any of the specific annotations on them. I do remember that the spherical bit protruding from the hull housed some sort of transporter-type device, though.

The next-to-last image on this page shows one of the sheets: http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/Dec...aloguePage.htm
Old August 12 2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

StarCruiser wrote: View Post
Essentially, look at "Andromeda"... That's what finally came from the original, and as I understand it unfinished, concept for Starship.
Not really. The only thing Andromeda took from Starship was the concept of a sentient ship as a main character.

Not to mention this:

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Gene Roddenberry's Starship--"the adventures of a young human scientist and a brash alien commander who must work together on the Starship ECO-1, despite their personal differences, to combat intergalactic ecological disasters."
http://www.trektoday.com/news/180900_04.shtml
Note the date. The animated version of Starship which Stan Lee's company was developing in partnership with Leiji Matsumoto (Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock) and John Semper (the '90s Spider-Man, Static Shock) was in the works in 2000, simultaneously with Andromeda. At the time, Majel Roddenberry was actively trying to get as many of GR's "lost" premises on TV as possible. And it's a terrible shame that Lee's company went bankrupt before Starship could be made, because, good grief, look at those names! Stan Lee and Leiji Matsumoto doing Gene Roddenberry? What an amazing combination that would've been to see.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I liked the first year of Andromeda a lot, but it went downhill quickly as the guy who actually created it - Robert E. Wolfe - lost control.
Robert Hewitt Wolfe, actually.

Andromeda was not really something substantially retrieved from Roddenberry's notes. It was a few of Roddenberry's character names and ideas grafted onto a series that someone wanted to create. I doubt that the influence actually went far beyond the names "Dylan Hunt," "Harper" and the idea of the main character sleeping through several centuries.
Also the genetically superior Nietzschean, Tyr Anasazi, was most likely inspired by the genetically superior Tyranians from Genesis II -- though the role was tailored for Keith Hamilton Cobb, whom the production company had under contract and asked Wolfe to develop a character for.

Andromeda was a mix of a number of influences. Genesis II/Planet Earth was the starting point, but Kevin Sorbo was given a choice of whether he wanted an Earth-based series or a space show, and he chose the latter, so the premise got developed in that direction. But yes, a lot of the ideas came from Wolfe himself, and from his creative staff, which included the now-prominent screenwriting duo Zack Stentz & Ashley Edward Miller.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 09:29 PM   #24
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I do remember that the spherical bit protruding from the hull housed some sort of transporter-type device, though.

The next-to-last image on this page shows one of the sheets: http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/Dec...aloguePage.htm
Fantastic, thanks! I get the picture. Interesting that the protruding sphere exists only on the starboard side, you can't tell from the other sketches alone.

Bob