Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 19 2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Destructor
Commodore

Did Peter David call out J.M. Dillard?

I just finished 'Before Dishonor'- it was not terrible but I didn't really enjoy it. I think Peter David's writing style is just too 'cartoony' for my liking. I mean the Borg cube driving into the sun and spewing out six other ships, and 'shrinking' Pluto? It was like Transformers or something. That's the same reason I gave up on New Frontier- as soon as a planet turned out to be an egg with a massive, warp-capable bird inside it, I tuned out.

But that's not why I'm posting. There's a really odd section in the middle of book, a conversation between Geordi and Seven. It goes something like:

"So anyway Seven, back in some other Peter David novel that you haven't read and isn't part of the relaunch continuity and is badly recapped on Memory Beta, there was ANOTHER female Borg, which surprised us at the time because we didn't know Borg had gender and that there were female Borg drones."

"Of course there are female Borg drones, only a fool would state otherwise."

"Don't talk to me, talk to the experts."

Was it me, or was this a direct reference to the repeated references in the previous novel 'Resistance', where it was said that Borg did not have gender and that the Borg Queen had to be created by putting 'female hormones' into a regular drone (or some such rot). This made me scratch my head while reading 'Resistance', so I thought maybe this was a rebuke to this, but even if I agree that the sentiment should have been rebuked, it seemed an odd way to do it. Who edited this book? Shouldn't that have been something an editor would pick up on, or was it actually considered funny/a plus?
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 07:29 AM   #2
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Did Peter David call out J.M. Dillard?

no, it was actually a dig at the Infamous Richard Arnold, who forced PAD to have a disclaimer on Vendetta because of the aforementioned female drone.

IRA claimed there were no female Borg, despite a clearly-female Borg appearing in Q Who.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 08:37 AM   #3
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was a dumb thing to have claimed. Clearly there were female Borg. Sure, their female-ness was irrelevant, because the Borg don't reproduce that way, but that doesn't mean that the assimilated life-forms didn't have a sex to begin with, or that the Borg pointlessly remove all signs of sex from a body when they assimilate it.

Playing devil's advocate, RA might have been basing his decision on "Q Who" where assimilation hasn't been invented yet. Although I'm pretty sure Vendetta came out after "BoBW."

But I also agree that all that business about Female Gel in Resistance came out of nowhere and made no sense too. Talk about a computer program to turn an ordinary drone into a Queen model, sure, but hormones? That's just daft.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

Destructor wrote: View Post
Was it me, or was this a direct reference to the repeated references in the previous novel 'Resistance', where it was said that Borg did not have gender and that the Borg Queen had to be created by putting 'female hormones' into a regular drone (or some such rot).
If it was Before Dishonor complaining about the quality of Resistance, I'd say that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Serpents in the Garden: **1/2
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 12:38 PM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It was a smackdown on Gene Rodenberry and Richard Arnold, stemming from the "there are no female Borg" thing that led to Vendetta having a disclaimer at the start saying that the author's interpretation of the Star Trek universe is not Gene Rodenberry's.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 12:53 PM   #6
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

There's a really odd section in the middle of book, a conversation between Geordi and Seven. It goes something like:

"So anyway Seven, back in some other Peter David novel that you haven't read and isn't part of the relaunch continuity and is badly recapped on Memory Beta, there was ANOTHER female Borg, which surprised us at the time because we didn't know Borg had gender and that there were female Borg drones."

[...]

Was it me, or was this a direct reference to the repeated references in the previous novel 'Resistance'[...]?
Um... from your little paraphrased recap, you CLEARLY know what this passage was in reference to, and that it wasn't Resistance.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Trek Survivor
Captain

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
Was it me, or was this a direct reference to the repeated references in the previous novel 'Resistance', where it was said that Borg did not have gender and that the Borg Queen had to be created by putting 'female hormones' into a regular drone (or some such rot).
If it was Before Dishonor complaining about the quality of Resistance, I'd say that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
QFT.

"Before Dishonor" was a truly, truly awful book. Peter David clearly "lost it" ("it" as in 'talent') somewhere between 1994 and 2007.

Incidentally, my "Vendetta" edition (UK, from Titan Books) doesn't have the disclaimer. Obviously RA only cared that US fans knew the truth!!
Old May 19 2011, 01:35 PM   #8
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Makes me kind of suspicious now about the dedication in the book:

"This one is for Richard, the biggest windmill I know."
Old May 19 2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Maybe the Borg Queen was a Borg drag queen and had simply misplaced its' feather boa? Oh wait, wrong thread...

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Um... from your little paraphrased recap, you CLEARLY know what this passage was in reference to, and that it wasn't Resistance.
That raises my curiosity...
Old May 19 2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I actually don't think there was enough coordination between the two books (or the early TNG relaunch) for PAD to even be aware of the 'sleight' in Resistance...if there even was one.

The varying characterizations of the 'new' senior staff seems to show that well enough.
Old May 19 2011, 05:15 PM   #11
zarkon
Captain

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I actually don't think there was enough coordination between the two books (or the early TNG relaunch) for PAD to even be aware of the 'sleight' in Resistance...if there even was one.

The varying characterizations of the 'new' senior staff seems to show that well enough.
Peter David said he was given a copy of Resistance but not Q & A (Which is why the characterisations are so off compared to that book).

But yeah, this is a jibe at the expense of Arnold, not Dillard.
Old May 19 2011, 05:34 PM   #12
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Intrasting, as Vendetta was one of my fav Trek novels growing up....but never got around to reading it afraid it would ruin my fond memories of it.
Old May 19 2011, 07:09 PM   #13
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
Intrasting, as Vendetta was one of my fav Trek novels growing up....but never got around to reading it afraid it would ruin my fond memories of it.
I hope you mean "rereading," since what you wrote would be ... strange.
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 08:54 PM   #14
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

One thing to keep in mind is that the TNG relaunch, DS9 relaunch, and Memory Omega Mirror Universe are all deeply intertwined with NF. Vendetta is already a major part of NF's backstory anyway, so despite some of the major flaws of the early TNG relaunch books, at least that part was consistent. If anything, Vendetta could be considered one of the earliest books to be published that is directly part of the interconnected relaunch continuity.

Pulling core NF backstory out of the current continuity would be like trying to take the individual mandate out of the Obama health care law -- it would bring the whole thing crashing down.

Blind Man's Bluff has some timeline issues, but they are fairly "fixable" with some creative interpretations of the text.

Now, it will be interesting to see how the other relaunch books deal with the shunt drive from NF's Turnaround used by the Paradox. That's probably right up there with Starfleet having slipstream if they pursue further research on it.
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 05:57 AM   #15
Idran
Commander

cal888 wrote: View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the TNG relaunch, DS9 relaunch, and Memory Omega Mirror Universe are all deeply intertwined with NF. Vendetta is already a major part of NF's backstory anyway, so despite some of the major flaws of the early TNG relaunch books, at least that part was consistent. If anything, Vendetta could be considered one of the earliest books to be published that is directly part of the interconnected relaunch continuity.
I dunno if I'd call them part of the interconnected relaunch continuity, since those books are somewhat more unidirectionally connected. Other books refer to PAD's stuff, but beyond a few small exceptions, PAD's stuff doesn't often mention the relaunch continuity or make excessive effort to jive with it.

But I guess this is kind of quibbling semantics.
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote