New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old June 25 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Do I need to Watch Razor?

I'm starting the season 4.0 DVD of nuBSG. Razor is the first disc, but I hated the Pegasus storyline (Admiral Cain getting killed was one of the best parts of the season it was in) and I really have no desire to revisit anything connected to that. If I just skip it, will it screw up my watching of Season 4?

I've looked around for an answer, but most people just seem to want to know when to watch it. I just want to know if I can skip it without causing problems.
Old June 25 2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Wereghost
Commodore

Re: Do I need to Watch Razor?

It's not mandatory, being set as it is largely in the timeframe of the first two seasons. There is a line or two from a guest actor that provides a hint of things to come and was apparently parlayed into a storyline, but it was inserted just to drum up interest in season four.
Old June 25 2013, 02:10 AM   #3
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

It won't really ruin your enjoyment of Season 4, but I would recommend it for the flashbacks to the Scorpia Shipyards attack, and the First Cylon War. You also see Admiral Cain was a bit of a hardass from the beginning, but she also suffered quite a decline, and betrayal. So, it does make her actions in Pegasus and Resurrection Ship more understandable, but still not forgivable.

The scariest thing is, Adama seemed to be set on the path she initially was taking after the attack, were it not for Roslin's convincing him to run rather than fight (although I could never see Adama doing some of the things she did).
Old June 26 2013, 01:47 AM   #4
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

If you're watching nuBSG, then you really ought to watch Razor and, later, The Plan. They expand the universe and give you a more detailed pictured of what happened and why.

And I say this as someone who thought most of what happened post-Pegasus arc was drek.
Old June 26 2013, 06:42 PM   #5
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I don't think I'll watch it. I HATED Admiral Cain, and just wanted her to die pretty much from the moment she opened her mouth. I watched the first 2 episodes of season 4, and I'm not lost, so like people said it doesn't seem to be required, and I just have no desire to watch anything connected to Admiral Cain again. Honestly, Season 4 is getting kind of tough to watch as it is. It has some very interesting ideas, but I've been done with everything gaius baltar since

I'm still liking a good amount of stuff in this show, but season 4 feels like it will be rocky enough without me wearing out all of my patience trying to sit through a long movie with a character i don't just dislike, but downright loathe, and a storyline that I hated when it was actually in the main series (a fleet admiral basically going so crazy The Joker would be telling her she needs a psychiatrist).
Old June 27 2013, 01:08 AM   #6
solariabsg25
Captain

Except of course that Baltar was actually innocent of the charges they brought.

He had not willingly collaborated with the Cylons, he had tried and failed to get them to back-off, and the major testimony against him was from Gaeta who lied, neglecting to mention the fact that when Baltar signed the order to terminate the dissidents he literally had a gun to his head, and that he'd also volunteered to try to stop Deanna from detonating the nuke, probably saving hundreds of lives.

He had done a lot of things but only the audience was aware of it, not the characters, apart from Roslin's certainty that she had seen Baltar with Six on Caprica.
Old June 27 2013, 01:13 AM   #7
Avon
Fleet Captain

i hated cain, but razor was actually ok.

skip the plan though. not so good.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old June 27 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

^ Agreed. Although the first 20-25 minutes of The Plan aren't bad in my opinion, with the montage of the attack, the Apocalypse music, etc.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Old June 27 2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Wereghost
Commodore

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
Except of course that Baltar was actually innocent of the charges they brought.

He had not willingly collaborated with the Cylons, he had tried and failed to get them to back-off, and the major testimony against him was from Gaeta who lied, neglecting to mention the fact that when Baltar signed the order to terminate the dissidents he literally had a gun to his head, and that he'd also volunteered to try to stop Deanna from detonating the nuke, probably saving hundreds of lives.

He had done a lot of things but only the audience was aware of it, not the characters, apart from Roslin's certainty that she had seen Baltar with Six on Caprica.
This is all true. Baltar, as far as anyone knew, was a major asset who had saved their hides on many an occasion, but he only scraped through by a narrow margin - and that was probably because Lee sent the judges on a guilt trip. Sounds like the former colonials had a death urge of sorts (which would explain a lot of other things).
Old June 27 2013, 09:06 PM   #10
solariabsg25
Captain

Strangely enough, had the Cylons followed the advice of Baltar, Boomer and Caprica Six, either by just leaving the humans on New Caprica to their own devices or making more of a peace with them, then the insurrection would possibly never had happened.

Of course, The Plan showed that Cavil would never had allowed that to happen!
Old June 27 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I think it's worthwhile to watch The Plan right until after the attack on the Colonies. The music and the visuals are spectacular. It's merely ok after that.
Old June 29 2013, 04:57 PM   #12
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Neither of the standalone films are terribly essential...watching on DVD, you're better off not interrupting the momentum of the series. It was different when the show was in first run and we welcomed any additional fixes between installments. The best part of Razor isn't on the DVD anyway...the Quiznos commercial.

Stick with Season 4...you're getting there. I thought that the opening arc of the second half of the season was the best that they'd done since the Kobol and New Caprica arcs, but YMMV.
Old June 29 2013, 08:04 PM   #13
DarKush
Rear Admiral

My two cents...

I don't think you have to watch Razor. If you hated the Pegasus storyline then watching Razor is probably going to be a sucky experience for you. I liked the Pegasus storyline a lot so I enjoyed Razor quite a bit. I also liked the young Adama scenes (which I liked better than Blood & Chrome). However skipping Razor likely isn't going to ruin your enjoyment or lack thereof of Season 4, I don't think. (Granted, I largely gave up on BSG after Season 3 and only watched less than a handful of Season 4 episodes).
Old June 29 2013, 08:14 PM   #14
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I suggest not watching anything past the New Caprica arc.
Old June 29 2013, 10:39 PM   #15
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I suggest not watching anything past the New Caprica arc.
I'm still watching the season. BSG is a weird watch for me. There is a lot of stuff I like, but it seems like for everything I like, there is something that is either downright annoying or just not very well done. I don't regret watching it, and I do intend to finish the show, but I doubt I'll be rewatching BSG anytime soon 9or watching the spin offs). At this point,

Also, I have definately decided to skip Razor. I might watch the plan (I picked it up for $1 awhile ago) but it will be whenever I feel like it.