RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,938
Posts: 5,390,350
Members: 24,721
Currently online: 593
Newest member: Miltan08

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 29 2011, 07:37 PM   #1
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Original series Blu-ray question.

Hi all.

Just a few quick questions for those that have the original series on Blu-ray.

1. Are these the re-mastered episodes that have the replacement graphics i.e. the Gorn blinking and so on?

2. Is there a vast improvement over the newest DVD sets that came out a few years ago?

I know in a lot of cases Hi def does the show no favors, I can remember seeing where Nimoy’s Spock ears were glued on in a few places on the cleaned up DVD’s along with a bunch of other little things.
I can only imagine what it would look like in super duper ultra terrific Blue-ray.


Thanks in advance.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Merky
Captain
 
Merky's Avatar
 
Location: あなたのママの家
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

PKerr wrote: View Post
Hi all.

Just a few quick questions for those that have the original series on Blu-ray.

1. Are these the re-mastered episodes that have the replacement graphics i.e. the Gorn blinking and so on?

2. Is there a vast improvement over the newest DVD sets that came out a few years ago?

I know in a lot of cases Hi def does the show no favors, I can remember seeing where Nimoy’s Spock ears were glued on in a few places on the cleaned up DVD’s along with a bunch of other little things.
I can only imagine what it would look like in super duper ultra terrific Blue-ray.


Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig.../dp/B001TH16DS

According to the video product information, you have the choice between the original episode and the remastered episode plus a crap load of special features that were featured on the remastered DVD sets.

I do not personally own the blu-ray set. I own the DVD remastered set.... macbooks don't have bluray players
__________________
こっち来い、ブロ!
Merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

PKerr wrote: View Post
1. Are these the re-mastered episodes that have the replacement graphics i.e. the Gorn blinking and so on?
The BluRay set includes both versions.

2. Is there a vast improvement over the newest DVD sets that came out a few years ago?
It's hi-def, and the DVD is not. Personally I don't tend to notice THAT much difference if the DVD master is good, but the Trek discs are surprisingly good quality.

I can only imagine what it would look like in super duper ultra terrific Blue-ray.
TOSR cleans up the most egregious issues like that (such as the coffee stains on the uniforms), but you'll still see some issues from time to time. It's a 1960's TV show, after all, there's only so much that's possible to actually do.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:01 PM   #4
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

Merky wrote: View Post
PKerr wrote: View Post
Hi all.

Just a few quick questions for those that have the original series on Blu-ray.

1. Are these the re-mastered episodes that have the replacement graphics i.e. the Gorn blinking and so on?

2. Is there a vast improvement over the newest DVD sets that came out a few years ago?

I know in a lot of cases Hi def does the show no favors, I can remember seeing where Nimoy’s Spock ears were glued on in a few places on the cleaned up DVD’s along with a bunch of other little things.
I can only imagine what it would look like in super duper ultra terrific Blue-ray.


Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig.../dp/B001TH16DS

According to the video product information, you have the choice between the original episode and the remastered episode plus a crap load of special features that were featured on the remastered DVD sets.

I do not personally own the blu-ray set. I own the DVD remastered set.... macbooks don't have bluray players
This is the set I have

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...1428597&sr=8-4

But I was interested in seeing the remastered versions as I've only seen a few of them.

The Amazon Blu-ray description almost acts like they mixed the remastered set with the Blu-ray, it's a bit confusing.

I was kinda hoping to bypass the remastered set and get that content in the Blu-ray set.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:20 PM   #5
plynch
Commodore
 
plynch's Avatar
 
Location: Outer Graceland
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

Vance wrote: View Post
the coffee stains on the uniforms
Curious, not challenging: Got a link to a pic of that?
__________________
Author of Live Like Louis! Inspirational Stories from the Life of Louis Armstrong, http://livelikelouis.com
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

plynch wrote: View Post
Vance wrote: View Post
the coffee stains on the uniforms
Curious, not challenging: Got a link to a pic of that?
Not off hand, but "moviemistakes" has this referenced:

Revealing
:
When Kirk and Spock answer the intercom in the ship's corridor, Spock's uniform has a large brown coffee stain on the front. (This was digitally removed in the DVD release, but is still visible in the newly-syndicated "computer enhanced" version.).
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Merky
Captain
 
Merky's Avatar
 
Location: あなたのママの家
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

PKerr wrote: View Post
Merky wrote: View Post
PKerr wrote: View Post
Hi all.

Just a few quick questions for those that have the original series on Blu-ray.

1. Are these the re-mastered episodes that have the replacement graphics i.e. the Gorn blinking and so on?

2. Is there a vast improvement over the newest DVD sets that came out a few years ago?

I know in a lot of cases Hi def does the show no favors, I can remember seeing where Nimoy’s Spock ears were glued on in a few places on the cleaned up DVD’s along with a bunch of other little things.
I can only imagine what it would look like in super duper ultra terrific Blue-ray.


Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig.../dp/B001TH16DS

According to the video product information, you have the choice between the original episode and the remastered episode plus a crap load of special features that were featured on the remastered DVD sets.

I do not personally own the blu-ray set. I own the DVD remastered set.... macbooks don't have bluray players
This is the set I have

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...1428597&sr=8-4

But I was interested in seeing the remastered versions as I've only seen a few of them.

The Amazon Blu-ray description almost acts like they mixed the remastered set with the Blu-ray, it's a bit confusing.

I was kinda hoping to bypass the remastered set and get that content in the Blu-ray set.
What do you mean? I think it means you can either watch the episode in the original format or you can watch it in the remastered. You're better off with the Blu-ray.

I got this set:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DHXT3Y

For the quality, it looks like this:


So you're better off with the Blu-ray, it would be crystal clear and nice and pretty.
__________________
こっち来い、ブロ!
Merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 12:25 AM   #8
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

Blu-ray sets offer seemless branching of both the original effects and the new cgi. You can hit the "angle" button on your remote and go back and forth between the original and cgi effects right in the middle of an episode.

Plus it offers a Dolby 7.1 track and a Mono track.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 03:47 AM   #9
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

OK looks like I'm picking up The Blu-rays.
Damn you Trek, TOS is the only show I'm working on a quadruple dip. Ughh
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 03:55 AM   #10
Merky
Captain
 
Merky's Avatar
 
Location: あなたのママの家
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

It's worth it though! Sometimes there's just those shows where you have to cough up $$$
__________________
こっち来い、ブロ!
Merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 04:15 AM   #11
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

Merky wrote: View Post
It's worth it though! Sometimes there's just those shows where you have to cough up $$$
Oh I know.

I'm on a quadruple dip of Predator, Terminator, Terminator 2 and getting ready to be on a Triple dip of The Matrix Trilogy and Alien/Aliens.

I just got a fairly decent bonus at work and my Tax refund was the best its ever been as well so I bought myself a few toys.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00354ELL2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M6A27A

And a 7.1 1000 series of these bad boys

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V41XII

So I be jammin'
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 04:36 AM   #12
Destructor
Commodore
 
Destructor's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

Why anyone would buy the Matrix sequels even once is beyond me. The original is all tat is required.

I bought a blu-ray device pretty much specifically to see TOS in HD and I don't regret it a bit!
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 05:25 AM   #13
Brikar99
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

TOS on Blu-Ray is absolutely gorgeous, regardless of whether you choose to watch the original effects or the new CG effects. The color and detail on some of these episodes is just incredible, and absolutely represents a massive upgrade from any DVD version.
__________________
SNW 9: 'Mestral' - 'Ninja Werewolf Assassins!' - Movie/TV reviews: For Reelz
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Botany Bay
Commodore
 
Botany Bay's Avatar
 
Location: shores of Australia
View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

Have to agree with that.

I got a Blu-Ray player just to watch TOS - I was stunned just how big a jump in quality it was over DVD.

The thing that jumped out at me straight away was the amount of green they used on those sets! I swear it wasn't there on the DVD's and videos I've had over the years.

Best feature : ability to turn CGI on/off.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 05:09 PM   #15
amasnic
Ensign
 
View amasnic's Twitter Profile
Re: Original series Blu-ray question.

Merky wrote: View Post
It's worth it though! Sometimes there's just those shows where you have to cough up $$$
amasnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.