The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 13 2011, 06:47 PM   #76
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post

"Need"? No but it should because it would be really cool.
Maybe add faster editing, lens flares and camera shakes, too.
No one will force you to watch it or even like it but there are people who are very interested in seeing TNG get an update.
Dude, I want it in High Definition, not in Fucked With.

All of the VFX have been done on film, but composited on video. All they need to do is to go back and recomposite the material shot on film in high definition.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 06:55 PM   #77
JJohnson
Captain

No one will force you to watch it or even like it but there are people who are very interested in seeing TNG get an update.
Haha, bring JJ Abrams and you'll get plenty of lens flares, enough to burn your retinas out. Let Michael Bay collaborate, and we'll be guaranteed to have at least 10 exploding ships per episode...lol.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 06:59 PM   #78
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

Dude, I want it in High Definition, not in Fucked With.

All of the VFX have been done on film, but composited on video. All they need to do is to go back and recomposite the material shot on film in high definition.
I could be wrong, but I think it was said that the filmed stuff for the effects shots may not exist. Regardless, they couldn't make it look the exact same episodes we all know. It's going to be updated and redone with CG either way.
Now the thing is, when it comes to movies I am a diehard purist, but when it comes to television shows for some reason I'm a lot more tolerant of the kind of work they did on TOS-R. No idea why, but I say they should make the effects what were intended, and not identical to what ended up on screen. If they're going to invest that time and money into the show, why intentionally make the same decisions that were only there due to bad circumstances? There are some cases where I think they should respectfully change things, but not for the sake of it, which includes re-editing the live action shots, adding lens flares etc.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 08:34 PM   #79
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

Do we really need to go all Special Edition with this? Add some crazy aliens, have Picard shoot last?
That would probably make it more popular.
Old May 13 2011, 08:35 PM   #80
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I'm not even thinking too much about adding a lot of extra footage, Armus for example will already have to be in the episode, and the Jarada are talked about but I'd love a quick look on the view screen in place of the planet view...pretty quick and simple...minor roto-scoping involved.
Your just determined to eliminate imagination, aren't you?
In the script for "The Big Goodbye", the Jarada were intended to appear, but budget restrictions prevented this. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion) The script describes them as "wasp-like; black and yellow, with pointed insectile features and waving black antennae." [1] So it WAS planned but the planet view was added instead cause they couldn't afford it. I think this may add to validity of putting it back in...

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...goodbye217.jpg
l
I think it lacks imagination to not allow creativity and just a small amount of free reign in redoing the FX. It also lacks imagination to want everything the same all the time and to never change. No THAT is boring.

RAMA
Old May 13 2011, 08:37 PM   #81
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Your just determined to eliminate imagination, aren't you?
In the script for "The Big Goodbye", the Jarada were intended to appear, but budget restrictions prevented this. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion) The script describes them as "wasp-like; black and yellow, with pointed insectile features and waving black antennae." [1] So it WAS planned but the planet view was added instead cause they couldn't afford it. I think this may add to validity of putting it back in...

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...goodbye217.jpg
l
I think it lacks imagination to not allow creativity and just a small amount of free reign in redoing the FX. It also lacks imagination to want everything the same all the time and to never change. No THAT is boring.

RAMA
While we're at it, how about a 3D conversion?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 08:40 PM   #82
RAMA
Vice Admiral

l

RAMA
While we're at it, how about a 3D conversion?
If there is a market for it, why not? Personally I don't require this.

It continually amazes me how supposedly "enlightened" SF fans are so stodgy and unimaginative. They just love to stand pat, never evolving their thought process, and thinking "in the box".

RAMA
Old May 13 2011, 08:46 PM   #83
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

They can be creative as they want in any "new" endeavors they decide to pursue. But when they're screwing with other peoples work they should be judicious.
Old May 13 2011, 08:50 PM   #84
Harvey
Admiral

Unfortunately, that box is mostly a real one which will result from whatever budget CBS provides for this project. Star Trek Remastered didn't have a lot of money, and this will be more expensive (simply on the basis of there being more episodes).

I also have to wonder who will be in charge of this. It's quite possible, being much more recent than the original Star Trek, that people's whose work is being "screwed with," so to speak, might be more involved.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 08:57 PM   #85
MacLeod
Admiral

Wasn't part of the point of remastering TOS to preserve it for the future and update it for HD broadcast. i.e to make more money long term.

Surely the same would apply for TNG, it's not so much to make you're money back quickly. But to make it back over 10, 20, 30 etc.. years.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 09:06 PM   #86
RAMA
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Wasn't part of the point of remastering TOS to preserve it for the future and update it for HD broadcast. i.e to make more money long term.

Surely the same would apply for TNG, it's not so much to make you're money back quickly. But to make it back over 10, 20, 30 etc.. years.
Exactly...and STNG made loads of money (record money in fact) in cable and syndication packages when it was first done. Its already raked in $500 million or so combined on that rights end alone...if they want to re-air it on cable, they'll make even more money...same with netflix and bluray.

RAMA
Old May 13 2011, 09:08 PM   #87
RAMA
Vice Admiral

They can be creative as they want in any "new" endeavors they decide to pursue. But when they're screwing with other peoples work they should be judicious.
You obviously didn't read any of my posts...
Old May 13 2011, 09:08 PM   #88
Harvey
Admiral

The point is to be able to keep making money on the program, yes, but I doubt Paramount wants to sink into a deep hole that won't be quickly filled by the Netflix licensing fee, home video sales, and syndication. Certainly the small budget they allocated for the remastering of Star Trek suggests that they're not willing to spend globs and globs of money that they won't be able to get back for ten or twenty years.

Old May 13 2011, 09:27 PM   #89
MacLeod
Admiral

Yes but hasn't the Star Trek franchise already earned them 100's of millions if not a few billion already.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 09:58 PM   #90
Harvey
Admiral

Sure, but this would be a new investment that CBS would probably want paid off quickly.