Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 6 2011, 05:00 PM   #526
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
Hmm I suppose that is something, but the fact is the majority of the FX is the original model work.
Maybe they'll re-add the phaser beams (In Yesterday's Enterprise, for example they're quite dull and hard to make out and the charging "pulse" before the phaser fire (my favourite thing about the TNG phasers actually, thought it was a shame Voyager's FX teams gave up on it over the course of that series) almost impossible to see without freeze framing) but the Enterprise itself will still be sitting there like a lemon in most battle scenes, especially after "evasive manuevers" is called out by the captain!"
Maybe they'll do some CGI work for that episode, since it doesn't really make sense that the E-D looks the same in both universes when the YE E-D is a battleship and the regular TNG E-D isn't.

Then they can stick it in the background of that shot in Parallels of all the Enterprises.
Old October 6 2011, 05:13 PM   #527
22 Stars
Commodore

Dick, I can understand your sentiment. Compared to TOS-R this would 'appear' to be less of an overhaul, but remember, the original model shots for TNG were done with feature quality in mind. I think this will be a great project, and full of little surprises for all fans to enjoy.

TOS had only a very limited number of stock shots, and while I would have liked to see what those negatives looked like cleaned up and scanned in HD, I loved most of the later CGI work done for the remastered series. I wish they had time and budget to fix the first few remastered eps with the newer mesh adopted.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 06:27 PM   #528
NewHorizon
Captain

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
Hmm I suppose that is something, but the fact is the majority of the FX is the original model work.
This is a MAJOR plus in my humble opinion. The amount of cash they would have to shell out to redo all of the ship scenes in CGI would be far too much for a project converting 7 seasons of TNG to bare.

The ships were shot professionally on film. Once they're scanned in high res into a computer, all of the limitations of manual compositing will be eliminated. The artists can have a field day touching up the look of the filmed content.

I think people have a tough time imaging anything but a complete CGI overhaul, but filmed minatures with CGI enhancement is going to look absolutely amazing...as we saw in the teaser trailer.

Maybe they'll re-add the phaser beams
There is no 'maybe' about this. As has been stated numerous times, ALL of the 'special FX' will have to be re-added. Phaser beams, transporter beams, lighting...etc. The ships were captured on film...anything added to them afterward were done on Video Tape.

It's a hybrid approach, and quite honestly I think it's the most respectful one. I would feel absolutely terrible for any of the folks who built and filmed those beautiful next gen ships if they were all to be replaced by CGI effects.

Remember, TOS was CGI'd because the original film elements didn't exist. This is not the case with TNG. We're lucky!
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:13 PM   #529
Borjis
Commodore

agreed!

thankfully the terrible looking planets will be replaced with nicer ones.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:15 PM   #530
22 Stars
Commodore

Not all the planets were terrible, there were one or two planet shots that I rememeber that impressed but I agree!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:17 PM   #531
JJohnson
Captain

I know they shot the ships on film, and that's nice and all, but what about the evasive maneuvers when the ship simply sits there, the same 5 or 6 shots of 'standard orbit' or warping past? Those might use a nice physical model, but I would seriously want them to change those out for variety's sake and to give viewers something more than simply a cleaned up image. And the matte paintings? Why not make them come alive with some more detailed images and CG people, like in The Menagerie?
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:27 PM   #532
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

How do you change-up a "standard" orbit?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:46 PM   #533
thumbtack
Commodore

JJohnson wrote: View Post
At a minimum, I'm expecting the up-res coming from the original negatives. At a minimum, for me to buy it, however, I expect to see new FX, new shots of the ship flying by or entering orbit, instead of the same 5 shots and that stupid through-the-neck-with-oddly-angled-stars shot, and those fuzzy JPEG globe planets.

I expect new, larger, 'alive' cg matte paintings like they did for TOS-R, new ship designs, better battle scenes, fixed FX errors, new planets like TOS-R, a redone intro, and little gems that they don't have to do, but will do for the sake of loving the source materials.

Then you can also expect an SRP of $299.99 per season.
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 09:52 PM   #534
JJohnson
Captain

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
How do you change-up a "standard" orbit?
Check out TOS-R for that. Different angles, show the impulse engines cutting on after dropping out of warp instead of ALWAYS being on, show the planetary glow on the ship, show the ship passing overhead, etc.

Obsession: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W_xBo0TVIk
Spectre of the Gun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8Lii0dkks (different orbit shots than normal)
Friday's Child: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OD5r78pMA (planet color reflects on the ship)

There are others that I'm sure could be found if I could go through all 79 episodes, but I don't have that time while there's a baby due
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 10:01 PM   #535
NewHorizon
Captain

Personally, I'm more interested in the stories than the FX. I want to see the show I watched in the late eighties and nineties...restored and enhanced using as much of the original material as possible...using modern techniques to make that material look its absolute best.
Old October 7 2011, 09:35 AM   #536
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

And the matte paintings? Why not make them come alive with some more detailed images and CG people, like in The Menagerie?
To be fair, we don't know that they're not doing that. We don't really know much at all at this point.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 12:10 PM   #537
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I would have liked to see different ships too, but it wouldn't kill me if we kept seeing the same generic alien transport ships over and over again. We noticed it back in the original run, but it hardly made us stop watching...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 12:43 PM   #538
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

You notice these things more when you don't have to wait a week between episodes.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 01:33 PM   #539
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Remember, TOS was CGI'd because the original film elements didn't exist. This is not the case with TNG. We're lucky!
The CGI in TOS-R looks so horrible. It would have been something had they taken a model and reshot the scenes, because that would have looked a million times better.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 04:02 PM   #540
NewHorizon
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
The CGI in TOS-R looks so horrible.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it horrible, but it certainly didn't match the rest of the footage. Space Seed being a rare exception, that episode really nailed it.

The problem with TOS remastered is that it was rushed and the artists didn't have enough time to perfect the look. They learned on the fly, and it really shows. It was no way to treat the original series.