RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,448
Members: 25,787
Currently online: 486
Newest member: Freezy

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 5 2011, 04:34 PM   #496
JJohnson
Captain

Re: FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
I'm just warning you...

Trying to explain something to Captain Jack is pointless, and a waste of keystrokes. Back when the movies were released on BD, he insisted ad nauseum that they were merely upscaled SD versions. Many of us tried to explain that they weren't, but the conversation went nowhere.

And just to be clear, I'm not attacking Captain Jack personally. I assume he's a nice person, and he obviously loves Trek. He's certainly entitled to his opinions, but I was bitter that I (and others) wasted so much time trying to correct the misinformation he was posting.

Doug
Star Trek 2 on BR still had a bit of irritating film grain on it. I know that many like film grain and whatnot, but I really wish they had cleaned that off the picture.

After TNG, I would love to see the movies remastered - giving us the Director's Edition of TMP in BR, maybe fix the the matte lines in TVH on the bird of prey, etc.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 04:35 PM   #497
RAMA
Vice Admiral

22 Stars wrote: View Post
I'm with you RAMA

Old October 5 2011, 04:36 PM   #498
JJohnson
Captain

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Since I didn't spend my money on the inferior DVDs, I will be quite happy to spend it on the pristine Bluray versions which I have been waiting for.
RAMA

Same here. I had already bought TNG on VHS for years from Columbia house so I couldn't really justify buying the DVDs. Now that we're getting it in HD I will definitely be purchasing it.
I agree with both of you. I'm sincerely hoping for a TOS-R style treatment to this project - 1080p, cleaned film, brightened and fixed colors, AND new FX, not just remaking the old FX. Either way, I will eventually be watching this version of TNG, through Netflix if they don't change much of anything, or through Blu-Ray if they make a concerted effort like in TOS-R.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 04:45 PM   #499
RAMA
Vice Admiral

JJohnson wrote: View Post
Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Since I didn't spend my money on the inferior DVDs, I will be quite happy to spend it on the pristine Bluray versions which I have been waiting for.
RAMA

Same here. I had already bought TNG on VHS for years from Columbia house so I couldn't really justify buying the DVDs. Now that we're getting it in HD I will definitely be purchasing it.
I agree with both of you. I'm sincerely hoping for a TOS-R style treatment to this project - 1080p, cleaned film, brightened and fixed colors, AND new FX, not just remaking the old FX. Either way, I will eventually be watching this version of TNG, through Netflix if they don't change much of anything, or through Blu-Ray if they make a concerted effort like in TOS-R.
In the picture I posted above from trekcore...the purplish and over-bright engine lighting is gone. Also its in 720p from a streaming source, so it'll look even clearer than the obvious clarity.

Also, the truer colors and better contrast likely of the imagery of the sampler is evident in the TATV photos...

Old October 5 2011, 04:51 PM   #500
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
I'm just warning you...

Trying to explain something to Captain Jack is pointless, and a waste of keystrokes. Back when the movies were released on BD, he insisted ad nauseum that they were merely upscaled SD versions. Many of us tried to explain that they weren't, but the conversation went nowhere.

And just to be clear, I'm not attacking Captain Jack personally. I assume he's a nice person, and he obviously loves Trek. He's certainly entitled to his opinions, but I was bitter that I (and others) wasted so much time trying to correct the misinformation he was posting.

Doug
Star Trek 2 on BR still had a bit of irritating film grain on it. I know that many like film grain and whatnot, but I really wish they had cleaned that off the picture.

After TNG, I would love to see the movies remastered - giving us the Director's Edition of TMP in BR, maybe fix the the matte lines in TVH on the bird of prey, etc.
Yeah people love that film grain...though I have heard that STII bluray is a much improved picture from the DVD version!
Old October 5 2011, 04:54 PM   #501
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Sean Aaron wrote: View Post
Screamy wrote: View Post

Pretty much my feelings on the subject. My DVDs will do just fine, "fuzzy" or not.
Have either one of you seen the comparison shots?
I did, but since I don't do Blu-Ray
Why not?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 04:56 PM   #502
RAMA
Vice Admiral

CaptainJack wrote: View Post
I had posted before that I was definatly gonna buy this when it came out. But now after hearing that they are only half-@ssing it forget it.
Im not buying upscaled 90's effects. If they aren't gonna redo the lame effects Im just not buying...
Cheap bastards.
Half-assing???? They are going back to the original film, something about 80% of the people here thought was unlikely or impossible!! This is a hugely expensive undertaking...season one of STNG cost $30 million in 1987 dollars, I'm willing to bet they are spending a good portion of that in restoring it.

Just to re-iterate, 35mm film holds even more info than HD....when they scan it into a digital scanner, they are not losing any quality. They are not taking a video master in 480i and uprezzing it.

RAMA
Old October 5 2011, 04:57 PM   #503
RAMA
Vice Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post

Why not?

Let's not get into that can of worms. Let the Luddites be.
Old October 5 2011, 05:01 PM   #504
Sean Aaron
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sean Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Aaron

Why not?
Several reasons:

Most of my movie collection is R2 so at 576p I'm already getting an image that's good enough.

Most of what I watch is pre-90s or isn't effects-laden, so again, I don't see enough benefit to bother.

I'm over physical media. DVD is fine because I can buy most movies for £5-7; there's no way I'm buying my films again in yet another optical format at double the price or more when I can more easily view films on the go by uploading them to my iPhone and plugging it into someone else's TV.

Going forward I'll either continue to buy the occasional DVD, rip it and give it away or buy visual media off iTunes. If it's not available in either format then I'll just do without. I've reached the point where I don't care about TV or movies as much as I used to and my collection of visual media is big enough.
Sean Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 05:08 PM   #505
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I'll assume you're being serious. You do realize that the image on film is made up of grain, and when they wipe the grain, it results in less detail, correct? The problem with the movie blu-rays (except II) was that they used older 1080i masters that were done for HDTV, and in addition they wiped the grain.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 05:10 PM   #506
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yeah, it reminds me of the fine line I have to tread when I'm editing phoot's shot at high ISO in Adobe RAW. I want to clean up some of the noise but in doing so you lose some of the detail.
Old October 5 2011, 05:13 PM   #507
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Why not?
Several reasons:

Most of my movie collection is R2 so at 576p I'm already getting an image that's good enough.

Most of what I watch is pre-90s or isn't effects-laden, so again, I don't see enough benefit to bother.

I'm over physical media. DVD is fine because I can buy most movies for £5-7; there's no way I'm buying my films again in yet another optical format at double the price or more when I can more easily view films on the go by uploading them to my iPhone and plugging it into someone else's TV.

Going forward I'll either continue to buy the occasional DVD, rip it and give it away or buy visual media off iTunes. If it's not available in either format then I'll just do without. I've reached the point where I don't care about TV or movies as much as I used to and my collection of visual media is big enough.

Actually the optical drive argument is sensible, but probably not practical for a few years mainly because of the lack of sources...eventually you can probably just d/l everything through wi-fi but we're just not there yet. Also, we had a convo in the other thread about whole series on hard drives...I like this idea, though again, I prefer it to be on solid state drives of the near future that are reliable and correct the few remaining problems.
Old October 5 2011, 05:19 PM   #508
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I wouldn't mind going all ddigital but I have to admit I like the interface and special features on Blu-Ray.
Old October 5 2011, 05:22 PM   #509
Sean Aaron
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sean Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Aaron

I do enjoy a quality making-of documentary and interviews with cast and crew, but any more I'm just about the show. I'll be hanging onto my Trek DVDs after I rip them, though. Of course I haven't viewed them in years. I'll be really ticked off if they've become unplayable as I've found with a few DVDs in the course of my archive project, which is why I'm not interested in getting any more optical discs.
Sean Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 05:24 PM   #510
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

LOL, how the hell do you make DVDs unplayable?